• Wale: Vertical column of needle loop.
• Course: Horizontal row of needle loop.
Stitch Density: Wales per Inch × Course per Inch.
Stitch length: Needle loop + Sinker loop
•Extended sinker loop
• Back loop
Knitting M/C: there are three types of knitting M/C –
1. Warp knitting: Gives vertical movement of yarn.
2. Weft knitting: Gives horizontal movement of yarn.
3. Other loop forming and combined M/C: Tri-axial.
Sunday, June 15, 2014 12
Needle Carrier: Which carries needle.
Number of Feed System: The number of
feeder by course.
Working Diameter: In circular knitting m/c, the
distance from one needle exact to the other
needle is known as working dia.
Working Width: In flat knitting m/c, the distance from first needle to the last needle is
known as working width.
Gauge: Number of needle per inch.
Pitch: The distance the center from one needle to the center of another needle is known
There Are Three Types Of Knitted Fabric
1. Selvage fabric
2. Cut edge fabric
3. Tubular fabric
Sunday, June 15, 2014 13
MECHANICAL PRINCIPAL OF KNITTING TECHNOLOGY
Basic Elements of Knitting
1. NEEDLE: There are various types of needle are available in market
which can be divided in the following group.
a. Spring Bearded Needle
b. Latch Needle
c. Compound Needle
Sunday, June 15, 2014 14
FUNCTION OF SINKER
There are three function of sinker.
1. Loop formation
2. Holding down
3. Knocking over
1. Loop Formation: On bearded needle weft knitting machines of straight bar frame and
sinker wheel type, the loop forming action is performed. The purpose of a sinker is to kink
the newly laid yarn into loop as its forward edge of advance between two adjoining needle.
2. Holding down Sinker: The second function is hold down the old loop a lower level on the
needle stem, then the new loop which are being formed and prevent to old loops from
being lifted as the needles rise to clear from their hooks.
3. Knocking Over Sinker: The third function of the sinker is to knock over the old loops
on the neck of the new loops.
Sunday, June 15, 2014 18
The knitting cams are hardened steels and they are the assembly of different cam plates so
that a track for butt can be arranged. Each needle movement is obtained by means of cams
acting on the needle butts.
The knitting cams are divided in to three groups. Such as
1. Knit cam
2. Tuck cam
3. Miss cam
Sunday, June 15, 2014 19
• A Single jersey Circular knitting machine, having dia of
30 “, 24 Gauge, 30 RPM, 3 Feeder/inch and yarn count
is 26s. Efficiency is 90%. Calculate the production per
day in kg?
• Total no. of Feeder = Feeder per inch × Machine Dia
• Total no. of needle= 𝜋DG
• SL=2.2 mm
Sunday, June 15, 2014 21