VEMA Conference 2011
Creating a Vibrant High School Library Program
Presented by Kathy Lehman, Lori Donovan, and Shelley
Armstrong, School Librarians, Thomas Dale High School, Chester, VA
About Our School…
• Large high school in the suburbs of Richmond.
• Over 2400 students housed on two campuses. Our ninth
graders are in one building and our upperclassmen are in
the main building. Students do travel between the
buildings during the day.
• We maintain large print collections that students have access as
well as a large virtual presence with databases and eBooks.
Students also have access to Edline and Gradequick as means of
communication with school.
Teaching in the Library
• Library Orientation/Science Fair Orientation
– Introduction to library services to new students; use of TRAILS
– Lessons about resources for science fair including accessing
turnitin.com and EasyBib
• Book Talks
– SSR time
– Book talking based on reading surveys; new books, VRC, and
Teen Read Week
• Library Science Class
– English elective for junior and senior students
– Teaches advanced research skills to prepare for life after high