@kresin / firstname.lastname@example.org
TOP DOWN MINDFRAME
• Will take responsibility for the place they live, work and love
• Value access over ownership, contribution over power
• Will ask forgiveness, not permission
• Know where they can get tools, knowledge & support
• Value empathy, dialogue and trust
• Appropriate technology, rather than accept it as is
• Will help the people that struggle with smart stuff
• Ask questions, before they come up with answers
• Take part in design efforts to come up with better solutions
• Work agile, prototype early, test quickly, start all over
• Will not stop in the face of huge barriers
• Share their knowledge and their learning, because they know
this is where true value comes from
Design for Smarter Cities
• Your citizens know more than you.
• Don’t separate the design and development process
• Embrace self-organization & civic initiative, but help to make the
results sustainable and scalable.
• Never rely on consultants that will sell consultancy, not solutions.
• Have binding decisions made at the lowest level possible and
actively preach self-governance.
• Small, connected systems tend to fail sometimes; large systems will
fail for sure.
• Build systems based on reciprocity and transparency.
• Reuse existing parts and design your additions for reuse, adding to
the public domain and strengthening its capacity to act and learn.