How else can you estimate the keyword popularity?
- common sense ;)
- compare it to Google Adwords Keyword tool
- compare it to the Chomp App Search analytics
- see whether a phrase appears in hints in the App Store
• our estimate - ~380k Reddit users have iPhone
(5,5M users according to Google Planner * 7% iPhone owners)
• Reddit is probably less popular than Chrome, or a ﬂashlight app
Google Adwords AppCod.es
We’re not perfect
• some of our data sources are >1 month old,
so if a query is very fresh, we’ll display a lower rank
• some of the queries are missing from the
database. if we show “-”, it probably means the query
is unpopular, but in rare cases we just have no data
• a difference of 20 in hotness may be a
statistical error (i.e. if one phrase is 40, and
another is 50, we really don’t know which one is more
Keep in mind
- the phrase popularity is still an experimental feature
- it’s better to rank top5 in the not-so-popular
phrases, than rank top15 in the most popular ones
- iterate, iterate, iterate.
with every update remove the worst performing phrases
and try some new ones. if it’s possible, ask users how they
ﬁnd your app.
If you have some interesting data points, data sources, or
have some feedback regarding the algorithm - let us know.
The Swiss Army Knife for App Store Optimization