Jobbranding is important to attract excellent candidates. Because boring jobs attract boring candidates. Who wants them. this presentation gives you some insights in jobbranding and tips to make attractive brands
3. Job Branding
job b r a n d a wa r e n e ss
8 sou r c i ng c ha nn e l
Source: Report “Getting it Right from the
6 or g a n isa t ion b r a nd Start”; Recruiting Roundtable “Which
a wa r e ne ss element has been important during the
a pplic a tion me thod
attraction for your new job”, 18.000
sou r c e s of inf or m a t i on
a ttra c ting the c a ndida te
Job Branding is one of the most impact full elements for the attraction
during the recruitment process. When a candidate knows what the
company expects from him, he will be more attracted to and success full
in his job.
5. Job Branding
Changes in the Labour Market
•The market will be more dynamic:
• Employees are more and more loyal to a manager, team or
project. Not to an employer.
• The market will become more flexible: f.i. Young Chinese
graduates will have 19 employers in their working life
• The market will be more individualistic:
• Employees choose for a job instead of an employer: “what is in it
for me?”. Otherwise they will look for another opportunity
Selling of jobs becomes more important in a fast moving market
6. Job Branding
Candidates want better offers
Top candidates want a 25% better job offer.
This is a combination of:
• 1. Job Stretch: What do I do? What will I learn?
Top Candidates are looking for demanding assignments that fit with
their competences and interest. A company brand is getting the
attention, but for the top it is less relevant. A connection between
the job and the company strategy is.
• 2. Compensation: Salary and benefits
A stretching job will compensate the other benefits.
7. Job Branding
Enlarging the potential target group
• Semi active candidates (appr 40% of the working population):
• do not look for another job on a regular basis. Only now and then
• just scan the advertisements, don’t really read them
• So: get them if they just have a look!
• You will have a 10 seconds chance: give them a good understanding
of the job in these seconds
An interesting job brand will increase the number of potential
8. Job Branding
But, most important
• Desperate new colleague?
• Top candidates only apply for boring jobs if they are desperate!
• But top candidates are seldom desperate!
• Boring new colleague?
• Boring jobs attract boring new colleagues. Who wants them?
Attractive jobs attract attractive candidates.
10. Job Branding
10 tips for job branding
1. Smart Headings for semi-active candidates
2. Use the 10 second chance:
Make a 2 sentences marketing summary of the job: what will he do, learn,
get or become! And catch the attention of a potential candidate.
3. Out of the clouds: 20.000 feet descriptions vs 0 feet descriptions
Be as concrete as possible. Go back to what a person is doing every day.
What results would make him better than the rest? Move away from
general responsbilities, lists with skills and competences. And describe the
team, boss and coach in a visible way.
4. Make the job SMART!
Check the job. Is it S: Specific, M: Measurable, A: Action oriented, R:
Result driven, T: Time indicated?
11. Job Branding
10 tips for job branding
5. Make the job part of a bigger mission, vision or strategy
Like Boeing says: “Help us land the next generation of moon walkers”
6. Use a performance profile (and no traditional ‘jobdescription’…)
Take care that candidates, that you are interested in, get a in-depth
performance profile. What tasks, activities, projects will he get, who will
be in his project team, what are the circumstances. Which results
(concrete data like turnover, patents, product introductions, etc) do you
expect from him.
7. Start with chances and reduce your ‘wishlist’
“Use your economic education to help us developing our international
accounting system.” sounds better than: “you need to have a economic
education and 5 years of international accounting experience”. So: ‘no
wishlists’ but expected performance and outcomes.
12. Job Branding
10 tips for job branding
8. Use the interview to close the gap.
The ideal candidate doesn’t excist. There is always something missing.
Use that as an advantage during the interview. Show them the challenges
of the job and their learning opportunities. “This is what you should
develop and can learn here. How did you learn before” ?
9. One same message by all involved!
Discuss the job ad with all people involved and check what is really
important. When will a candidate be succesfull? Take care for The Moving
Job Spec Syndrom! Your search will be a waste of time for all if the
requirements or job are changing during the process!
10. Use active descriptions instead of passive ones. And present time.
Active verbs are more attractive than passive ones in your description: Use
“do”, “change” or “improve” instead of “be responsible for…”. F.i. “You
improve our sales in Eastern Europe with…” instead of “You will be
responsible for our sales improvements...”