1 | P a g e
Name: ___________________ Marks: _______________
Class : 5 Date: ____ / ____ / 2014
Each question in this paper is followed by three or four possible answers. Choose the best answer
from the answers marked A, B and C or A, B, C and D. Then on your answer sheet blacken the
answer that you have chosen.
Choose the best word to fill in the blanks below.
Our school had a cleanliness campaign last Saturday. Our __(1)___ ,
Mrs Tan, divided the classes into a few groups. Our class was in charge
of the field and the ____(2)____ court. We ____(3)____ up rubbish
and dried leaves from the ground. We were ____(4)____ but happy
that we could do something for our school.
1. A actress B headmistress C waitress D stewardess
2. A badminton B volleyball C football D basketball
3. A brought B carried C picked D collected
4. A tired B proud C angry D sad
ENGLISH YEAR 5
AUGUST MONTHLY TEST 2014
2 | P a g e
Questions 5 – 7
Choose the best phrase to complete the sentence below.
5. Bee Leng is ___________ a mouse. She is very afraid of dark places.
A as thin as
B as loud as
C as timid as
D as brave as
6. “Please pass me a _________ toilet paper,” said Kok Keong.
A roll of
B box of
C slice of
D string of
7. The old man __________ at the boys who hurt the cat.
A ran steadily
B spoke softly
C talked loudly
D shouted angrily
Questions 8 – 10
Choose the best sentence that describes each picture.
8. A Mei Lin is giving the beggar some food.
B Mei Lin is playing with the beggar.
C Mei Lin is laughing at the beggar.
D Mei Lin is eating with the beggar.
9. A Oranges have thorns
B Oranges have rough skin.
C Oranges have smooth skin.
3 | P a g e
10. A She is eating bread with chili sauce.
B She is eating biscuits with honey.
C She is eating bread with butter.
D She is eating bread with eggs.
QUESTIONS 11 – 15
Look at the pictures below carefully. Choose the best answer to fit the situation shown in the
A Are you all right ?
B Is he badly hurt ?
C He enjoys cycling very much.
D I heard he just bought the bicycle.
12. A My puppy eats rice.
B Please take good care of my puppy.
C Thank you for looking after my puppy.
D Do you know how to look after a puppy?
13. A It is RM12.
B Here‟s your change.
C We are closed on Sundays.
D This pencil set has ten pencils.
14. A It‟s hot, isn‟t ?
B I want to go out.
C I have to put on a hat.
D I need to bring an umbrella.
4 | P a g e
15. A This cake is delicious.
B We like cheese cake.
C Where did you buy this cake ?
D What do you need to bake a cake?
QUESTIONS 16 – 19
Choose the best answer for each of the following sentences.
16. A cobbler ____________ shoes for a living.
A mend B mends C mending D mended
17. Someone _________ Sam‟s bicycle last night.
A stole B steal C stolen D was stealing
18. There is __________ sand in the pail.
A any B some C many D a few
19. “Put the money _______ your pocket,” said mother.
A into B on C over D under
Questions 20 – 21
Choose the word that has the same meaning as the underlined word.
20. He is a wise man.
A kind B rude C smart D foolish
21. We must collect the fallen leaves.
A keep B sweep C gather D separate
5 | P a g e
Questions 22 – 23
Choose the answer with the correct spelling.
22. A ointmen
23. A pumkin
Questions 24 – 25
Choose the sentence with the correct punctuation.
24. A Termites, Mosquitoes and Butterflies are insects. B
termites, mosquitoes and butterflies are insects. C
Termites mosquitoes and butterflies are insects. D
Termites, mosquitoes and butterflies are insects.
25. A “Colour the cat black,” said Liza. B
“Colour the cat black,” said liza. C
“Colour the cat black.” said Liza. D
“Colour the cat black, said Liza.”
6 | P a g e
Questions 26 – 30
Choose the best answer to fill in the blanks in the passage that follow.
Salmah likes to help ___26___ mother. Sometimes she ___27___ and cuts the vegetables.
She likes to use the ___28___ sharp knife in the kitchen. Her mother has told her to be careful
___29___ she does her work slowly. Her mother ___30___ fish curry now while she is washing up
26. A she B her C hers D herself
27. A washing B washed C washes D wash
28. A sharp B sharpest C sharper
29. A because B but C so D as
30. A cook B cooks C cooked D is cooking
7 | P a g e
Questions 31 – 35
Study the poster below carefully and answer the questions that follow.
1 May to 31 May 2011
look left and right before crossing the road.
Cross the road using:
a zebra crossing
a pedestrian crossing
an overhead bridge
play at the roadside.
walk or cycle side by side
wear dark coloured clothes when you
walk on the street at night.
31. What is the purpose of a road safety campaign? A To
tell people that it is safer to stay at home.
B To encourage people to break the traffic rules
C To make people aware of the importance of road safety.
32. How long is the campaign held?
A one week B Two weeks C Fifteen days D One month
33. A “pedestrian” refers to someone who is
A driving of a vehicle
B walking along the road. C
using an overhead bridge.
34. Janice saw the road sign below on her way to school. What does it mean ? A
B Pedestrian Crossing
C School Children Crossing
35. Which of the children below follow safety rules? A
Jason who flies kites at the roadside.
B Mohamad who wears a black shirt at night.
8 | P a g e
C Lilian who uses a zebra crossing to cross the road.
D Andrew who looks only to the right before crossing the road.
9 | P a g e
Questions 36 – 40
Read the letter and answer the questions that follow.
NO. 9, Jalan 3 / 11,
43300 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan.
27 April 2011.
Dear Pui Man,
How are you ? I hope you are fine. My family and I are fine here.
A fortnight ago, a dentist came to my school. He gave a talk on „How to
Take Care of Our Teeth and Gums‟. He spoke for 30 minutes. Then he showed us the
correct way of brushing our teeth.
Yesterday, Doctor Choo came to our school. He spoke on healthy eating. He
spoke for an hour. He explained the importance of nutritious food.
Next week, we are having Canteen Day in our school. It will be held on the 3rd
June, from 9.00a.m. to 4.00p.m. My classmates and I are going to sell burgers and French
fries. I hope you can come to my school on the Canteen Day.
Are you still playing table tennis for your school ? When do you practice ? Are
you going to take part in any competitions ?
This is all for now. Please write to me soon. Bye!
36. When did the dentist come to Tina‟s school ?
A 10 April B 13 April C 20 April D 27 April
37. How long did the dentist speak ? A
B Two hours
C Half an hour
D Fifteen minutes
38. Who gave a talk on the importance of nutritious food ?
A A dentist B A teacher C A lawyer D A doctor
10 | P a g e
39. What will Tina and her classmates do on Canteen Day ? A
Brush their teeth correctly.
B Practice playing table tennis.
C Sell some burgers and French fries D
Listen to the talk on healthy eating.
40. Arrange these sentences in the correct order.
P There will be Canteen Day on the 3rd
Q A dentist came and showed the correct way of brushing teeth.
R Dr. Choo gave a talk on healthy eating.
S Tina hopes that Pui Man can come to her school.
A PQRS B QRPS C PSQR D RQPS