OpenProcurement is an open source software toolkit developed for procurement automation and optimization. It is recommended for public procurement procedures by governments as well as commercial solutions by private organizations.
This operational e-procurement solution automates the selection of suppliers via electronic reverse auction, stores procurement data and provides access to the database via an API.
Toolkit by Quintagroup
Open Procurement is an open source software toolkit
developed for procurement automation and optimization.
This operational e-procurement solution automates the
selection of suppliers via electronic reverse auction, stores
procurement data and provides access to the database via
Open Procurement is distributed under the Apache license.
The toolkit can be used for:
● public procurements
● commercial solutions
Open Contracting Data Standard
Data Standard was developed on the basis
of Open Contracting 1.0RC. These standards were extended
to ensure practical implementation of the procurement process
in the Prozorro system.
Open Procurement consists of:
● Central database (CDB)
● API - REST-ful interface that provides programmatic access
to the CDB.
● Auction module
● eMall (broker/procuring platform/e-trading venue) - is a web platform that
implements e-Procurement system features and provides access for
procuring entities, suppliers and regular visitors.
● eMalls are independent private structures that receive payment for each bid
made via their platform. Such approach increases competition, prevents
corruption, and adds reliability.
● The suppliers can access the system only via the eMall services. They are
provided with temporary credentials to access the Auction module.
● eMall interacts with the CDB via OpenProcurement API.
is divided into
1. Procurement Initiation
2. Bid Registration
3. Reverse Auction
1. Procurement Initiation
● A procuring entity creates Tender announcement that is published on all
● There procuring entity defines procurement parameters, technical and
qualification requirements, and adds any other necessary information.
● Participants can ask for clarifications or submit suggestions for tender
documentation change to increase competition.
● Authors of questions and suggestions remain anonymous until the auction
2. Bid registration
● Bidders can register/amend/withdraw their bid proposals within specified
● Only bidder knows about the bid proposal registration. No information
about it (supplier’s name, price offer, documents) and even the fact of its
registration is provided to procuring entity, Administrator, or other people.
● If suggestions for tender documentation update or correction were ignored
by procuring entity, participants can submit complaints about tender
Bid proposal consists of:
● Information about the bidder;
● The initial bid (price offer);
● Attached documents containing the description
of the proposal and related specifications.
● If no bids were sent in during the bid registration period, the tender is
automatically marked as "Canceled"
● If only one bid was sent in during the bid registration period, the
system automatically records this bidder as a candidate and goes to
● If more than one bid was sent in, the system starts auction on the
scheduled date and time.
3. The electronic reverse auction
A reverse auction is a type of auction in which the roles of
buyer and seller are reversed.
In an ordinary (forward) auction, buyers compete to obtain a
good or service by offering increasingly higher prices.
In a reverse auction, the sellers compete to obtain business
from the buyer and prices will typically decrease as the sellers
undercut each other.
● Upon the auction start there is a pause for 5 minutes to let the bidders
learn the bid values of their competitors.
The auction PROCESS
● Once the period for procurement initiation and bid proposals registration
ends, auction starts automatically on the pre-announced date and time.
● eMalls give bidders access to their individual web pages of the auction.
● The system discloses initial bid values of participants
● Once the 5-minute pause ends the system automatically
announces the first round.
In each round bidders take turns in descending order of their
previous bid values (starting from initial).
Auction consists of three rounds:
Each bidder has 2 minutes to enter bid and can
change it if the allotted time hasn't run out. After 2
minutes, system will accept bid and pass the turn to the
When all participants have made their bids,
system pauses for
2 minutes and announces the next round.
System ranks all submitted bids automatically by price, forming rating
of bidders positions.
After the third round system discloses complete
information about bid proposals and participants who
The procuring entity reviews commercial and qualification parts of the
bid and has right to request candidate’s qualification documents that
were not mandatory at the time of the bid registration.
The procurement committee publishes its decision online.
If the procuring entity disqualifies the chosen candidate, the
system automatically determines the next candidate - bidder
with the next price offer (according to the auction ranking).
Commercial or qualification part of the candidate’s bid does not meet the
The candidate did not submit qualification documents within
the time specified in advance by the procuring entity.
● If candidate’s commercial and qualification offers meet the procurement
requirements, this candidate becomes Winner.
● The contract between the procuring entity and winner is prepared and
● The procuring entity publishes contract in the system.
● Complaints about the procurement results should be submitted by users
within standstill period after the award disclosure but prior to the date
of the contract signing.
● Complaints must be resolved in a timely manner. If violation affected the
award, the qualification decision would have to be reviewed.
● All system users have right to find and view information about
procurement on any of its stages.
● The system should be publicly available and ensure
non-discrimination and equal access to information for all users.
The system has security mechanisms that enable it to protect
information from loss, misuse and unauthorized change.
● Free and open source toolkit
● Reliable technology
● Based on Open Contracting standards
● Easy-to-use transparent procedures
● For both free and proprietary solutions
Open Procurement System
Find more information at:
Project website: https://openprocurement.io
API Documentation: http://api-docs.openprocurement.org
Code repository: https://github.com/openprocurement
Open Procurement case: