Smarter by Open Data: Process and Practice in Flevoland (NL)
Welkom, let’s ﬁrst se who we have here?
1. Who is from Flanders? Wallonia? Belgium? Netherlands?
2. Who is a civil servant? Central government? Local government?
3. Who is non-government
4. Who is ope data re-user en who is an open data owner?
5. Please rise every-one
6. Please introduce yourself to your ﬁrst unknown neighbour.
Let’s check you on the hand of a couple of statements
1. Publishing open data is a good strategy for meeKng transparency objecKves.
2. Publishing open data will encourage innovaKon.
3. To speed things up, it is good to start publishing low-hanging fruit.
4. Publish data and it will be used.
5. Societal challenges can be solved with open data.
6. We need an open data ecosystem.
7. The truth is out there!
Working together on open data
Municipality of Almere
Municipality of Lelystad
Local water authority
Province of Flevoland
ONLY ONE GOAL
Support external stakeholders with open data
in a way it serves their operations and
‘our’ (as a gov) assignment at the same time
Communication about maintenance of bridges and locks
The local reuse of local waste wood
Farmers in soil subsidence areas
Telling The story of Flevoland to the world
Communication about maintenance in residential areas
How can open data support:
Always connect to your environment – understanding is key
Adjust data(structure) to what is needed out there
Do not reinvent the wheel – use popular solutions
The changes in the data are most valuable for acting
Open data are only valuable when they meet needs
So never publish without reuse
For data-ofﬁcers, always connect tot the business