Successfully reported this slideshow.
Your SlideShare is downloading. ×

Achieving Target State Architecture in NetApp IT

More Related Content

Related Books

Free with a 30 day trial from Scribd

See all

Achieving Target State Architecture in NetApp IT

  1. 1. © 2019 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. No portions of this document may be reproduced without prior written consent of NetApp, Inc. Specifications are subject to change without notice. NetApp, the NetApp logo OnCommand, and ONTAP are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. the United States and/or other countries. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such. A current list of NetApp trademarks is available on the web. Achieving Target State Architecture in NetApp IT OPERATIONAL&TECHNICALRISK BUSINESS FIT & VALUE TOLERATE ELIMINATE INVEST MIGRATE Containers provide application portability within our enterprise. We are heavy on Kubernetes, using Docker as our platform. Configuration Management allows for consistent environments. We are avid users of RedHat Ansible and RedHat CloudForms for getting infrastructure up and running. Code and Binary Management provides fast, real-time data access. For this, NetApp IT uses Git and JFrog. CI/CD (Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment) provides a secure streamlined development experience. Our primary tool for this function is Jenkins. Cloud and PaaS allow data access without infrastructure management. Our team uses OpenShift and various cloud providers. Monitoring offers actionable insights into environments. As we define and gather more metrics from our applications, this pillar will evolve to become analytics. We monitor with Zenoss and Splunk. CLOUD NATIVE EFFORT Rehost Refactor Rearchitect Rebuild Replace IaaS PaaS SaaS • Know what applications are critical to business and focus on the ones that matter • Use framework like Gartner’s TIME model to map your entire app portfolio and align business with IT - Tolerate and Eliminate apps will phase out - Focus on Migrate and Invest apps and align them to correct target state Further categorize Migrate and Invest applications based on their business value • Keep Business Running Apps (KBR): Commodity Services and Systems of Record • Business Transformation Apps: Systems of Innovation and Differentiation • Based on steps one and two, NetApp IT discovered that many of our apps (75%) are KBR apps and will be migrated to SaaS • The remaining 25% is where CloudOne services (IaaS, CaaS, PaaS and DevOps) will be leveraged • NetApp IT is on a journey to align all apps to their target state architecture over the next three to five years Our definition of CloudOne is no longer the physical four-walled enterprise data center—it’s anywhere we can get software-controlled resources at the value point we desire. The CloudOne platform provides “Any Cloud, One Experience” to our developers. CloudOne is a fully- automated, end-to-end solution for developers to build and manage cloud-aware applications. It is fully integrated to developer tools and processes and helps developers focus on delivering value at the speed our business demands. Below is a glimpse of what’s needed to build and maintain a CloudOne environment. DEFINITION: Backoffice IT productivity applications and tools STRATEGY: Simplify by leveraging best in class SaaS with no customizations EXAMPLES: Office 365, ServiceNow, Zoom Commodity Services Innovation Services DEFINITION: Applications and services that help us innovate and make products and services better STRATEGY: Enable business to try/fail/succeed fast, leveraging cloud-aware principles and DevOps practices EXAMPLES: New ideas, DevOps innovation DEFINITION: Applications unique to NetApp and that differentiate NetApp from competitors STRATEGY: Enable business to release value faster, leveraging cloud-aware principles and DevOps practices EXAMPLES: Active IQ, AutoSupport Services DEFINITION: Backoffice applications needed to run NetApp’s business STRATEGY: Simplify by leveraging best in class SaaS, minimize customizations EXAMPLES: Workforce/HR, CRM, ERP Differentiation Services Systems of Record Align applications to the right target state architecture using Gartner’s 5Rs model • SaaS (or Replace) target state for KBR apps (Rent) • Based on effort and value, align business transformation apps to one of the other Rs - IaaS (rehost = VMs, refactor = containers) at a bare minimum for all packaged apps (Buy) - PaaS (rearchitect = microservices, rebuild with DevOps) for high- speed, high-scale apps, etc. (Build) = CloudOne