AWeber is a platform that has helped over 1,000,000 entrepreneurs and small
businesses accelerate their growth through powerfully-simple email marketing
tools and expertise.
Our customers use AWeber to grow and manage their audience, send
newsletters and automated emails, and analyze and optimize results.
“Growing and managing their audiences,
sending newsletters and automated emails,
and analyzing and optimizing results...”
…is easier said than done.
CS is a Big Part of Onboarding at AWeber
We love email marketing; but we don’t expect our customers to love it too.
They love their businesses.
It’s important for us to bridge the gap, help them along, and
create remarkable experiences.
Scaling in-person onboarding
is difficult and expensive.
What are the benefits of in-person onboarding?
● Humanizing the platform and forming a personal connection.
● Personalized support and onboarding experience.
To personalize, you have to
know things about the
Defining our profile:
Start with the problems you want to help solve, then work back to the
information required to solve them.
Problem Data Needed Onboarding Improvement
When is a good time to communicate
● Location (Timezone). ● Emails and communication at
How do we get them to success
● How they initially use the
● Their experience level with
● Existing technology workflow.
● Personalized onboarding
● Personalized onboarding email
Who are our high-potential trial users? ● Business information.
● Social followings.
● Alexa ranking.
● Personal outreach to high-
potential trial users.
Filling our profile:
Information is manually provided by someone
inputting data or making a selection.
● Experience with Email Marketing.
Two Types of Profiling:
Information is inferred from observing actions or
enriching existing data.
● Actions taken within the platform.
● Online Presence.
● Technological Profile.
Understand which new customers are likely to have larger businesses or
followings and quickly pair them with our CS team for personal outreach.
Increase in the percentage of customers we identify as high-potential and pair
with CS. This cohort has a significantly lower churn than our average customer.
● Business size ($, employees)
● Alexa ranking
● Social media followings
Understand what technologies customers are using to promote relevant
migration guides and services, and integrations with products that are already in
● Contributed to an increase in customers activating integrations in their first
● Higher email engagement rates.
emails result in a
20% increase in open rates
compared to unpersonalized
onboarding emails sent to
subscribers at the same
point in onboarding.
Building your own profiles:
1. Define the problems you’re trying to solve for customers in onboarding.
a. Ask the people who talk to your customers what questions they ask to help better
2. Define the improvements you’ll make to onboarding to solve the problems
3. Define the data you’ll need to bridge the problem and solution.
4. Ask your customers your questions.