2. Kris BuytaertKris Buytaert
● I used to be a Dev,I used to be a Dev,
● Then Became an OpThen Became an Op
● CTO and Open Source Consultant @CTO and Open Source Consultant @inuits.euinuits.eu
● Everything is a freaking DNS ProblemEverything is a freaking DNS Problem
● Evangelizing devopsEvangelizing devops
● Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,
#loadays, ….#loadays, ….
4. A global movement to improve the quality ofA global movement to improve the quality of
software delivery leveraging Open Sourcesoftware delivery leveraging Open Source
experience, started in Gent in 2009experience, started in Gent in 2009
6. Change Management &Change Management &
● 20 – 60 – 2020 – 60 – 20
● 20% Early adopters , find your peers20% Early adopters , find your peers
● 60% Will wait , but adopt slowly60% Will wait , but adopt slowly
7. Careers in TechCareers in Tech
People trying to make themselves relevantPeople trying to make themselves relevant
Peter principle:Peter principle:
Promoted beyond their competencePromoted beyond their competence
Tech folks are forced into management, notTech folks are forced into management, not
supported to grow technicalysupported to grow technicaly
● It's not the team running toolingIt's not the team running tooling
● It's not the team in charge of deliveryIt's not the team in charge of delivery
● It's not yet another silo between devs and opsIt's not yet another silo between devs and ops
9. Fire your ArchitectsFire your Architects
● If they haven't writtenIf they haven't written
a line of code in thea line of code in the
past 3 monthspast 3 months
● It's not a job title.It's not a job title.
● Is it a developer ?Is it a developer ?
● Is it an ops engineer ?Is it an ops engineer ?
● Is it a system engineer writing code ?Is it a system engineer writing code ?
● Is it a developer running operations ?Is it a developer running operations ?
11. Crossfunctional TeamCrossfunctional Team
● Build a project team with skills from all overBuild a project team with skills from all over
Continuous IntegrationContinuous Integration
Infrastructure (HA/ Scale/ Performance)Infrastructure (HA/ Scale/ Performance)
● Seat them together !Seat them together !
12. Is Agile dead ?Is Agile dead ?
15. Did you include Finance ?Did you include Finance ?
The people in charge of software acquisition isThe people in charge of software acquisition is
notnot your purchasing or legal team, it's youryour purchasing or legal team, it's your
And they probably don't need a budget, or aAnd they probably don't need a budget, or a
different onedifferent one
16. Is ITIL dead ?Is ITIL dead ?
● The last mileThe last mile
● The men who say noThe men who say no
● Guardians ofGuardians of
● Friday at 10 amFriday at 10 am
● Reducing risk upfrontReducing risk upfront
● Machines makeMachines make
● Lower downtimeLower downtime
17. Bimodal is dead.Bimodal is dead.
● Invented by people who clearly do NOTInvented by people who clearly do NOT
a) devopsa) devops
b) Risk managementb) Risk management
c) Bothc) Both
18. #enterprise devops#enterprise devops
● ““You can only change small organisations”You can only change small organisations”
● ““You can't change a large organisation”You can't change a large organisation”
● ““You need to do things different“You need to do things different“
● There is much more to changeThere is much more to change
● It takes longerIt takes longer
● The resistance is biggerThe resistance is bigger
19. There is no such thingThere is no such thing
● devops certificationdevops certification
● devops awardsdevops awards
● devops toolsdevops tools
21. An Enterprise ContainerAn Enterprise Container
● No different from aNo different from a
full vmfull vm
● Multiple servicesMultiple services
running in onerunning in one
● ssh is the defaultssh is the default
22. Dev OoopsDev Ooops #container edition#container edition
● ““Put this Code Live, here's a DockerPut this Code Live, here's a Docker
Image ”Image ”
● No machines available ?No machines available ?
● What database ? Where to store theWhat database ? Where to store the
data ?data ?
● Security ? What distro is this even ?Security ? What distro is this even ?
Bad Cows ?Bad Cows ?
● How do we monitor his ?How do we monitor his ?
● Backups ?Backups ?
● How did you build this ?How did you build this ?
23. Lets take a step backLets take a step back
● People have always been abusing toolsPeople have always been abusing tools
● People have been forced to use toolsPeople have been forced to use tools
That were brokenThat were broken
They didn't chooseThey didn't choose
They didn't understandThey didn't understand
25. It's not about the toolsIt's not about the tools
It's about changeIt's about change
It's about the peopleIt's about the people
26. Devops is here to stay,Devops is here to stay,
New tools and technologies will appearNew tools and technologies will appear
But collaboration will remain aBut collaboration will remain a