Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
Kris BuytaertKris Buytaert
● I used to be a Dev,I used to be a Dev,
● Then Became an OpThen Became an Op
● CTO and Open Source Consultant @CTO and Open Source Consultant @inuits.euinuits.eu
● Everything is a freaking DNS ProblemEverything is a freaking DNS Problem
● Evangelizing devopsEvangelizing devops
● Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,
#loadays, ….#loadays, ….
What's this devopsWhat's this devops
thing anyhow ?thing anyhow ?
Damon Edwards and John WillisDamon Edwards and John Willis
Gene KimGene Kim
Opposing GoalsOpposing Goals
● New releasesNew releases
● New FeaturesNew Features
● New platformsNew platforms
● New architecturesNew architectures
● Functional ReqFunctional Req
● Stable PlatformStable Platform
● No DowntimeNo Downtime
● Scalable PlatformScalable Platform
● Non Functional ReqNon Functional Req
Traditional OrganisationTraditional Organisation
● Lack of FreedomLack of Freedom
● Lots of ManagersLots of Managers
● Exodus of EngineersExodus of Engineers
Careers in TechCareers in Tech
People trying to make themselves relevantPeople trying to make themselves relevant
Peter principlePeter principle
Promoted beyond their competencePromoted beyond their competence
Tech folks are forced into management, notTech folks are forced into management, not
supported to grow technicalysupported to grow technicaly
Adopting a Devops:Adopting a Devops:
Your real problem is most probably not technicalYour real problem is most probably not technical
Change Management &Change Management &
● 20 – 60 – 2020 – 60 – 20
● 20% Early adopters , find your peers20% Early adopters , find your peers
● 60% Will wait , but adopt slowly60% Will wait , but adopt slowly
Wild project plans !Wild project plans !
Can you make your change journey a traditionalCan you make your change journey a traditional
project with milestones andproject with milestones and
We are a new org on may 1st.We are a new org on may 1st. (2013)(2013)
Bold move, or Just luck ?Bold move, or Just luck ?
Old Management Style to install a new CultureOld Management Style to install a new Culture
Do not call it aDo not call it a
● It's not the team running toolingIt's not the team running tooling
● It's not the team in charge of deliveryIt's not the team in charge of delivery
● It's not yet another silo between devs and opsIt's not yet another silo between devs and ops
Do not call themDo not call them
#devops engineers#devops engineers
● It's not a job title.It's not a job title.
● Is it a developer ?Is it a developer ?
● Is it an ops engineer ?Is it an ops engineer ?
● Is it a system engineer writing code ?Is it a system engineer writing code ?
● Is it a developer running operations ?Is it a developer running operations ?
Crossfunctional TeamCrossfunctional Team
● Build a project team with skills from all overBuild a project team with skills from all over
Continuous IntegrationContinuous Integration
Infrastructure (HA/ Scale/ Performance)Infrastructure (HA/ Scale/ Performance)
● Seat them together !Seat them together !
Sprint 0Sprint 0
● Daily Ops does KanBan
● Development does Scrum
● Ops 1 is helping Team 1
● Ops 2 is helping team 2
● Ops 3 is helping team 3
● Ops 4-7 are running
Sprint 1Sprint 1
•Ops 1 has finished working
with team 1, moves to ops work
•Ops 4 moves from ops work to
helping out team 4
Sprint 2Sprint 2
● Ops 5 swaps places with
Ops 2 as Team 2 needs
some other skills (e.g dba
vs high availability skills)
Sprint 3Sprint 3
● Ops 1 moves back to
team 1 , after 2 sprints he
has a backlog of
improvements for that
● Ops 4 brings newly build
functionality to the ops
Is your organisation agile,Is your organisation agile,
or just your silo ?or just your silo ?
The BusinesThe Busines
● Doesn't care how weDoesn't care how we
run ITrun IT
● Can't adapt theirCan't adapt their
● Isn't involved inIsn't involved in
building softwarebuilding software
● Doesnt survive if weDoesnt survive if we
don't deliverdon't deliver
● Is waiting for theirIs waiting for their
● Is based on softwareIs based on software
Pitfalls Merging TeamsPitfalls Merging Teams
● Don't keep their managersDon't keep their managers
Failed scrumFailed scrum
6 months later 1 less manager6 months later 1 less manager
● Management needs to go Agile tooManagement needs to go Agile too
Side Management of Senior managementSide Management of Senior management
● Don't try this on EOL teamsDon't try this on EOL teams
Does your Finance Department Know ?Does your Finance Department Know ?
The people in charge of software acquisition isThe people in charge of software acquisition is
notnot your purchasing or legal team, it's youryour purchasing or legal team, it's your
And they probably don't need a budget, or aAnd they probably don't need a budget, or a
different onedifferent one
You Outsourced what ?You Outsourced what ?
● How can they take responsible ?How can they take responsible ?
● Who is going to point at who ?Who is going to point at who ?
““Side Projects”Side Projects”
● Such asSuch as
Datacenter Migration , Network Upgrade,Datacenter Migration , Network Upgrade,
Distribution UpgradeDistribution Upgrade
● Shared BacklogShared Backlog
ITIL : correct ideas,ITIL : correct ideas,
wrong placewrong place
● The last mileThe last mile
● The men who say noThe men who say no
● Guardians of ProductionGuardians of Production
● Friday at 10 amFriday at 10 am
Who has Security as partWho has Security as part
of their Job ?of their Job ?
Earlier in the processEarlier in the process
● Start as a teamStart as a team
Security Build inSecurity Build in
No upfront architectsNo upfront architects
No change managers afterwardsNo change managers afterwards
● Get Involved people from day0Get Involved people from day0
Fire your ArchitectsFire your Architects
● If they haven't writtenIf they haven't written
a line of code in thea line of code in the
past 3 monthspast 3 months
Enterprise DevopsEnterprise Devops
● ““You can only change small organisations”You can only change small organisations”
● ““You can't change a large organisation”You can't change a large organisation”
● It dependsIt depends
● There is much more to changeThere is much more to change
● It takes longerIt takes longer
● Change does happen !Change does happen !