2. Kris BuytaertKris Buytaert
● I used to be a Dev,I used to be a Dev,
● Then Became an OpThen Became an Op
● CTO and Open Source Consultant @CTO and Open Source Consultant @inuits.euinuits.eu
● Everything is a freaking DNS ProblemEverything is a freaking DNS Problem
● Evangelizing devopsEvangelizing devops
● Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,
#loadays, ….#loadays, ….
9. Careers in TechCareers in Tech
People trying to make themselves relevantPeople trying to make themselves relevant
Peter principlePeter principle
Promoted beyond their competencePromoted beyond their competence
Tech folks are forced into management, notTech folks are forced into management, not
supported to grow technicalysupported to grow technicaly
12. Change Management &Change Management &
● 20 – 60 – 2020 – 60 – 20
● 20% Early adopters , find your peers20% Early adopters , find your peers
● 60% Will wait , but adopt slowly60% Will wait , but adopt slowly
13. Wild project plans !Wild project plans !
Can you make your change journey a traditionalCan you make your change journey a traditional
project with milestones andproject with milestones and
We are a new org on may 1st.We are a new org on may 1st. (2013)(2013)
Bold move, or Just luck ?Bold move, or Just luck ?
Old Management Style to install a new CultureOld Management Style to install a new Culture
14. Do not call it aDo not call it a
● It's not the team running toolingIt's not the team running tooling
● It's not the team in charge of deliveryIt's not the team in charge of delivery
● It's not yet another silo between devs and opsIt's not yet another silo between devs and ops
15. Do not call themDo not call them
#devops engineers#devops engineers
● It's not a job title.It's not a job title.
● Is it a developer ?Is it a developer ?
● Is it an ops engineer ?Is it an ops engineer ?
● Is it a system engineer writing code ?Is it a system engineer writing code ?
● Is it a developer running operations ?Is it a developer running operations ?
16. Crossfunctional TeamCrossfunctional Team
● Build a project team with skills from all overBuild a project team with skills from all over
Continuous IntegrationContinuous Integration
Infrastructure (HA/ Scale/ Performance)Infrastructure (HA/ Scale/ Performance)
● Seat them together !Seat them together !
23. The BusinesThe Busines
● Doesn't care how weDoesn't care how we
run ITrun IT
● Can't adapt theirCan't adapt their
● Isn't involved inIsn't involved in
building softwarebuilding software
● Doesnt survive if weDoesnt survive if we
don't deliverdon't deliver
● Is waiting for theirIs waiting for their
● Is based on softwareIs based on software
24. Pitfalls Merging TeamsPitfalls Merging Teams
● Don't keep their managersDon't keep their managers
Failed scrumFailed scrum
6 months later 1 less manager6 months later 1 less manager
● Management needs to go Agile tooManagement needs to go Agile too
Side Management of Senior managementSide Management of Senior management
● Don't try this on EOL teamsDon't try this on EOL teams
26. The people in charge of software acquisition isThe people in charge of software acquisition is
notnot your purchasing or legal team, it's youryour purchasing or legal team, it's your
And they probably don't need a budget, or aAnd they probably don't need a budget, or a
different onedifferent one
27. You Outsourced what ?You Outsourced what ?
● How can they take responsible ?How can they take responsible ?
● Who is going to point at who ?Who is going to point at who ?
28. ““Side Projects”Side Projects”
● Such asSuch as
Datacenter Migration , Network Upgrade,Datacenter Migration , Network Upgrade,
Distribution UpgradeDistribution Upgrade
● Shared BacklogShared Backlog
29. ITIL : correct ideas,ITIL : correct ideas,
wrong placewrong place
● The last mileThe last mile
● The men who say noThe men who say no
● Guardians of ProductionGuardians of Production
● Friday at 10 amFriday at 10 am
31. Earlier in the processEarlier in the process
● Start as a teamStart as a team
Security Build inSecurity Build in
No upfront architectsNo upfront architects
No change managers afterwardsNo change managers afterwards
● Get Involved people from day0Get Involved people from day0
32. Fire your ArchitectsFire your Architects
● If they haven't writtenIf they haven't written
a line of code in thea line of code in the
past 3 monthspast 3 months
33. Enterprise DevopsEnterprise Devops
● ““You can only change small organisations”You can only change small organisations”
● ““You can't change a large organisation”You can't change a large organisation”
● It dependsIt depends
● There is much more to changeThere is much more to change
● It takes longerIt takes longer
● Change does happen !Change does happen !