y EmployEE Handbookh abi The intent of this handbook is to give an over- view of the Health Authority – Abu Dhabi in general and to provide insight to the main policies of the Human Resources Depart- ment that we think might be useful to our new staff. Of course, our Human Resources Team always welcomes your questions, con- cerns or any needed clarifications should you have any. We are looking forward for your positive contributions towards achieving our goals and objectives. Thank you for joining us, and welcome to our team. Head, Corporate Support Services 3
ClausE (1): baCkgroundThe Health Authority- Abu Dhabi (HAAD) is a local governmental entityestablished by Law (01/2007) to establish a world-class healthcaresystem to provide the citizens and residents of the Emirate of AbuDhabi with high quality healthcare services. It was previously knownas ‘The General Authority for Health Services of Abu Dhabi’.The main function of the HAAD is to regulate the healthcare sectorwithin the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, both public and private, through poli-cies, laws, regulations, inspections, licensures and audits.In addition, the HAAD partners with well-established healthcare pro-viders and professionals. The corporate office of HAAD is located inAbu Dhabi, the capital of UAE.Health Authority– Abu Dhabi Formal Name:HAAD Standard Name: Health Authority– Abu Dhabi Health Authority Building, Airport Road P.O. Box 5674, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Tel +971 2-449-3333 Fax +971 2-444-9822 Email email@example.com Website www.haad.ae 5
glossary of TErms:The following words and expressions shall have the same meaningset forth herein below unless otherwise required by the context:Emirate Emirate of Abu Dhabi.The HAAD Health Authority - Abu Dhabi.P e r s o n n e l The Personnel Policy of the Health Authority -Policy Abu Dhabi.Chairman Chairman of the Health Authority – Abu Dhabi.CEO The Director General of the Health Authority –Abu DhabiStaff Member or Any person appointed to any of the HAAD jobsEmployee: listed in the Schedule attached hereto.HR Section The Department in charge of the Personnel affairs in the HAAD.M a n p o w e r Total number of approved jobs and type, scaleBudget and grade of each one thereof.Basic Salary is a fixed regular payment linked to the Employee’s contractual grade which constitutes compensation in accordance with approved salary scales irrespective of all other allowances and benefits.S u p p l e m e n t is the total payment of all allowances andAllowance benefits which are due to the Employee. This allowance incorporates housing for National employees, but does not incorporate housing for Expatriate employees.Total Salary Basic salary, in addition to Supplement allowance.U.A.E National Any U.A.E. citizen whose nationality is proved byStaff or the Family Book.EmployeeExpatriate Staff Any holder of a foreign country citizenship.or EmployeeYear Calendar Year.Month Time unit of 30 days.C o n t r a c t u a l Time unit of 12 calendar months. Contractual 7Year year commences as of the date of joining the HAAD for the first time.
Clause (2): HR PoliCies 1. The HAAD aims to establish and create fair Human Resources (HR) policies to achieve equity and to attract and retain qualified and competent staff who will contribute to the achievement of the HAAD’s organizational goals and objectives. HR policies and procedures are set forth to comply with the legal requirements of the Civil Services Law in the emirate of Abu Dhabi. 2. The HR policies and procedures are organized and arranged in the form of a Personnel Policy to provide the framework necessary for the functionality of the HR Section. This includes responsibilities of HR and the correct and proper implementation procedures of the HR policies. 3. The HR Section undertakes the interpretation and implementation of HR policies and procedures and provides advice and consultation therein. It ensures continuous implementation of the same in a consistent and fair manner. 4. This handbook gives general knowledge and awareness about the main HR policies to enable new staff to commence work comfortably. It may not contain answers and solutions to all matters and problems related to HR. Hence, it is not intended to cancel or replace the Personnel Policy. Clause (3): objeCtives The main objective of the Personnel Policy is to set out the policies related to HR according to the general objective of the HAAD, in order to: 1. Develop each of the HAAD staff members and employees to demonstrate utmost diligence in serving the HAAD. 2. Enhance the understanding and adoption of work team spirit by the HAAD staff members and employees. 3. Foster a team-centered work environment where the HAAD staff members and employees interact in such a way that they are able to develop their ability and energy to deliver high performance. 4. Achieve equality among the HAAD staff members and employees and give them the opportunity to develop the business and activity of the HAAD. Clause (4): staff Duties & unautHoRizeD aCtions subClausE (1): funCTional duTiEs 1. A staff member or employee has to perform his/her duties to8 the best of their abilities. He/she should realize that his/her work at the HAAD is a priority. A staff member or employee shall
demonstrate the highest levels of loyalty, integrity and objectivity while discharging duties and may not favour or give preference to any particular client or party for personal interest. 2. All the HAAD staff members and employees must abide by the HAAD general rules, policies and procedures. A staff member or employee who does not abide by the HAAD policies, procedures and rules and the policies and procedures hereof shall be held responsible for this and may be subject to punishment or disciplinary action, including the possibility of terminating his/ her service. 3. All staff members and employees shall exert all efforts and dedicate their full time during the official working hours to the discharge of their tasks and duties. 4. Staff members and employees are not allowed to render any services to any person or company, in any capacity, during their service in the HAAD, with or without pay.ExCEpTions: • Staff members and employees may assume honorary positions with the approval of the concerned departmental manager and the CEO. • Membership of external committees and boards of directors. 5. The HAAD staff members and employees may not have any personal interest, whether directly or indirectly, in the transactions and contracts of the HAAD. For instance, the HAAD staff members, employees, their relatives or friends shall have no right to make any personal gains from any activities or transactions related to the HAAD assets, tenders or contracts award. 6. The HAAD staff members and employees shall refrain from any attitudes or behaviors that could be detrimental to their personal image or the reputation of the HAAD. This, for instance, shall include divulgence and disclosure of information of the HAAD without prior approval, involvement in public relations or addressing the mass media without the knowledge and/or approval of the HAAD management, or otherwise representing the HAAD’s interest without its knowledge and/or approval. 7. The HAAD staff members and employees shall demonstrate complete respect for the traditions and religious practices of the U.A.E. 9
subClausE (2): gifTs & frEE sErviCEs The HAAD staff members and employees shall not accept any mate- rial or in-kind gifts, whether directly or indirectly, nor participate in any memberships, facilities or privileges from suppliers, clients, etc.Chapter One: Responsiblities of the HR Function In case the staff member or employee faces such situation he/she has to inform his/her supervisor in writing. The supervisor shall then discuss the matter with the CEO. Subclause (3): Confidentiality 1. All information related to the HAAD, which a staff member or an employee acquires during his/her service with the HAAD, shall be treated as confidential. Such information should not be disclosed to any third party or the HAAD inside or outside the U.A.E, unless the work nature of the staff member or employee and the work interest so requires; CEO approval would need to be obtained in this case 2. Any work, research or information of the HAAD, prepared and developed by the HAAD staff members and employees or any other parties working for the HAAD, are the sole property of the HAAD. Such information shall not be divulged, communicated or leaked in any manner, to any person, party or corporation without the written approval of the concerned department manager, and approval by the CEO. 3. If a staff member or an employee acquires or becomes aware of information involving legal irregularities or wrongdoings, or if he/she believes that the HAAD interests may be endangered or harmed, he/she has to immediately inform his/her supervisor, the concerned department manager or the CEO, as the case may be. 4. Upon termination of service, a staff member or an employee must not divulge or disclose any information he/she has acquired while in the service of the HAAD, which information must remain confidential. In certain cases, HAAD staff members or employees may, upon termination, be required to sign an undertaking to safeguard the confidentiality of the HAAD information. This non-disclosure agreement will be subject to legal enforcement in the event of a breach of its terms. subClausE (4): ConfliCT of inTErEsT When a staff member or an employee is instructed to do a job in which he/she has a personal interest, he/she has to inform his/her supervi- sor of the same forthwith. In this case his/her supervisor shall appoint another staff member or employee to do the job.10
subClausE (5): ouTsidE aCTiviTiEsThe HAAD staff members and employees shall not agree to engagein any business activities or work outside the HAAD. In case of anybreach, the CEO, who is solely authorized to deal with such breaches,should be informed forthwith. Examples of outside activities includethe following: - working for pay at another corporation. - preparing information and data for others for fees. - roviding advice or consultancy concerning investment opportunities based on inside information from the HAAD. - Providing any services for pay. - Providing services which could have been provided by the HAAD.subClausE (6): sTaff ConduCT & bEHaviorEach staff member and employee of the HAAD shall conduct the mat-ters of his/her personal life in such a manner that will not reflectbadly on his/her commitment to his/her work, whether the same isvisible or not. Staff members and employees should realize that theyare working for an highly visible and respected employer, and hencetheir appearance, behavior and attitude should be decent and of highstandards that will reflect the good image of their employer.subClausE (7): usE of THE Haad namEThe HAAD staff members and employees shall refrain from using theHAAD name and logo and any of the HAAD means of communicationin activities or businesses not related thereto.subClausE (8): Haad rEprEsEnTaTion in spEECHEs & arTiClEs WriTing 1. The HAAD staff members and employees may only represent the HAAD in speeches and the writing of articles after obtaining prior permission from the CEO. Furthermore, the following shall be taken into consideration: • Speeches and articles writing shall be handled by HAAD senior qualified staff members and employees. Speeches or articles may not contain any personal comments, statements, opinions or views which may be viewed as representing the HAAD’s opinions or views. • The HAAD information confidentiality policy must not be breached. 11
2. Under no circumstances shall any HAAD staff member or employee give a statement to the press or publish an article in the newspapers or any other media without the prior permission of the CEO.Chapter One: Responsiblities of the HR Function 3. Any questions or queries regarding the HAAD activities and functions must be addressed to the CEO. 4. Any press statements must be reviewed and approved by the CEO. 5. Any staff member or employee who is assigned to make a statement or give a lecture must not criticize, whether explicitly or implicitly, the HAAD or its policies, procedures or any of its staff members or employees. 6. The CEO must be informed in advance of any arrangements to conduct any interviews, speeches or presentations etc. with outside parties involving any of the HAAD staff members or employees. 7. Staffmembers or employees who make unauthorized press statements or without the prior approval of the HAAD management will be subjected to disciplinary measures. Required approvals may be obtained in coordination with the HAAD media section. subClausE (9): usE of THE Haad propErTy Staff members and employees shall exclusively use property of the HAAD only for carrying out its business. subClausE (10): pErsonal appEaranCE Personal appearance is a main factor that gives a good impression to clients and the public. Therefore, the appearance of all staff members and employees of the HAAD should be professional and appropriate during official working hours or when they are available at the pub- lic facilities of the HAAD. The HR division is responsible for issuing rules for minimum pertinent requirements to be met by the HAAD staff members and employees, each according to his/her function. The responsibility for monitoring the appearance of staff members and employees rests with the director of the respective division. subClausE (11): sTaff & EmployEE rElaTions In discharging their functions and duties, staff members and employ- ees shall obey the orders of their senior and give them due respect. The seniors of staff members or employees should not instruct them to discharge duties which contradict their job description. Respect12 should be reciprocal between seniors, subordinates and colleagues within the HAAD.
subClausE (12): CommuniCaTion & ConsulTaTionStaff members and employees should promptly inform their senior ofany problems or difficulties they face in performing their daily dutiesand functions. Should there be any difference in opinion, on any mat-ter between the staff member or employee and his senior at work,and which they are unable to solve between them, the staff memberor employee may put up the same in writing, through his senior, to theconcerned manager.subClausE (13): drugs, alCoHol and no-smoking arEasThe HAAD staff members and employees are strictly prohibited fromconsuming drugs or alcohol or being under intoxication during officialworking hours or when they report to work. They are also prohibitedfrom smoking in closed and no-smoking areas. No-smoking signsshould be placed in a clear and visible manner. 13
Clause (5): Role of tHe Human ResouRCes seCtionFunction & Responsibilities of the HR Section shall include: 1. Oversight to the implementation of the terms, conditions and procedures of the Personnel Policy. 2. Ensure provision of required qualified manpower to the HAAD departments, sections and divisions. 3. The role of HR is to attract, retain and motivate staff members and employees through appropriate programs and processes. 4. Provide the resources and work environment needed for our staff members and employees to perform to the best of their abilities.Clause (6): ReCRuitment anD PlaCement PoliCies anD PRinCiPlesEmployment Contracts 1. U.A.E. Nationals shall be employed by the HAAD by virtue of unlimited contracts. 2. Expatriates shall be employed by virtue of 2 year employment contracts, thereafter renewable on a year basis. 3. Special contracts may be developed for particular cases. Temporary staff members and employees may be employed under special employment contracts. Terms, conditions benefits and financial allocations for such contracts shall be determined on a case-by-case basis.Clause (7): GeneRal PRovisions of emPloyment ContRaCts 1. The Personnel Policy shall apply to any matter not specifically provided for in the employment contract. 2. The employment contract constitutes the basis of the employment relationship between the HAAD and the employee.. 3. Contracts are renewed and terminated according to the provisions of the employment contracts attached within.Clause (8): PRobation PeRioD & Point of oRiGin 1. All the HAAD new staff members and employees shall be subject to the probationary period mentioned in their contracts, without exception. 2. All new staff members and employees undergo a 3-month probationary period starting from the date of hire, which may be extended up to a period of an additional 3 months. 3. The concerned department will receive an Evaluation Form from the HR Section prior to the end of the probationary period. 15
4. Should the performance of a new staff member or employee not be satisfactory, the concerned department manager shall inform the HR Section at least 15 days before the expiration of the probationary period, using the form to enable the HR SectionChapter Two: Employee Relations to inform the staff member or employee in writing that his/her services are no longer required by the HAAD. 5. The department manager/head of a staff member or employee can request an extension to the probationary period if not fully sure of the staff member’s or employee’s ability to perform. 6. The probationary period is deemed an integral part of the continuous service with the HAAD upon a staff member’s or employee’s confirmation of service after the probationary period. Hence the probationary period shall be included in the calculation of end-of-service benefits and leave periods for staff members and employees. 7. The HAAD will confirm the service of a staff member or employee upon successful completion of the probationary period. The HR Section will notify the staff member or employee of the confirmation of service, and a copy of the notification will be kept in the personal file. Clause (9): finanCial Dues DuRinG tHe PRobationaRy PeRioD The following salaries and compensation shall be paid to staff mem- bers and employees during the probationary period: 1. U.A.E. Nationals and Expatriates U.A.E.Nationals and Expatriate staff members and employees shall receive all monthly salaries, allowance and increments provided in the employment contract. 1. Accommodation or Housing Allowance (Expatriate) Expatriate staff members and employees shall have the choice either to receive housing allowance or to have the HAAD provide temporary accommodation during the probationary period. Ei- ther the allowance or the HAAD provided accommodation will be provided during probation, not both. Clause (10): visa anD ResiDenCe PeRmit exPenses foR exPatRiates 2. The HAAD will meet the cost of employment and residence permits of expatriate employees and their eligible dependents, i.e., spouse and maximum of three children under the age of 18. This covers all fees required for entry, employment and residence permits, as well as associated costs of other mandatory prerequisites for the processing and obtainment of such permits, including the health fitness certificate.16 3. The HAAD will not meet the cost and expenses of the eligible dependent if he/she enters the country without a residence visa or with a visit visa given at the airport.
Clause (11): Point of oRiGinEach expatriate staff member or employee shall have his/her pointof origin established in the Employment Contract. This is to be desig-nated by agreement of the HAAD and the staff member or employeeat the time of recruitment. The point of origin will normally be the cityor town in the country of citizenship based on the staff member’s oremployee’s passport. Once established, the staff member’s or em-ployee’s point of origin will not be changed except with the approvalof the CEO.Clause (12): tRavel exPenses RelateD to emPloymentAll expatriate staff members and employees, and eligible dependents(spouse and up to 3 children under the age of 18), shall be providedwith air travel, as applicable, from the airport nearest to their point oforigin to Abu Dhabi.SalariesClause (13): GeneRal PoliCies of salaRies 1. The HAAD policy stipulates that its staff members and employees shall receive salaries, compensations and increments according to a constant, secured and fair salary system and structure which will achieve the following goals: a. Attract, employ and retain highly qualified staff members and employees. b. Provide a salary structure established on grades. c. Motivate and encourage staff members and employees by allocating competency rewards based on individual per- formance. d. Create a system for career and professional develop- ment. e. Control and monitor salaries and wage expenses. 2. Basic salaries should be determined according to the grading structure, whereby each position or job shall have a certain grade. The approved salary structure shall be the reference for the salary level in each scale. 3. All modifications or changes intended to be introduced to staff member and employee salaries shall be effected through the HR Section on the Salary Amendment Form. 4. A staff member or employee will be informed of any amendments or changes to his/her salary by receipt of a copy of the Salary Amendment Form or other official communication. 17
Clause (14): emPloyee PRivaCy anD maintenanCe of PeRsonal Data 1. The HAAD shall maintain all required information on candidates, staff members and employees of the HAAD in the relevant personal file. 2. The HR Section shall organize a file for each staff member or employee to be kept throughout his/her service term. 3. It is the responsibility of the staff member or employee to update all records when any changes occur. Failure to do so can lead to disciplinary action. 4. Staff member and employee files may only be accessed by authorized staff members and employees of the HR Section by an approval of the HR Section Head. 5. Staff member and employee files (including all work-related and private details) shall be the property of the HAAD. Accordingly, none of the contents thereof shall be copied or reproduced without prior permission of the HR Section. 6. The HAAD may allow external authorities, such as government departments and establishments, to access personal information in the staff member or employee file as deemed necessary.Work RegulationClause (15): offiCial WoRkinG HouRs 7. The HAAD staff members and employees shall abide by the official working days and hours fixed by the HAAD. 8. Official working days are from Sunday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday represent the weekend holiday. 9. The official working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The HAAD may from time to time change or modify the approved official working hours as deemed necessary by a circular issued before the change in order to explain and notify employees of the change. 10. The time it takes staff member and employees to commute to work shall not be included as part of the official working hours. 11. The HR Section shall set up the necessary measures to control compliance by staff members and employees of the official working hours. 12. Staff members and employees must inform their supervisors prior to their absence, if it occurs.Clause (16): Holy montH of RamaDan timinGs 19Official working hours shall be reduced by two hours for all the HAADstaff members and employees during the Holy Month of Ramadan. A
circular shall be issued to inform the HAAD staff members and em- ployees in this regard. Clause (17): PubliC HoliDaysChapter Three: Leaves Since some public holidays depend on the Hijri Calendar, the HAAD management shall issue circulars to the staff members and employ- ees a few days before such holidays fall. The following schedule con- tains the public holidays: • New Islamic Year (A.H) Muharam 1 • New Year (A.D) January 1 • Eidul Fitr: First Three days of Shawwal • Day of Arafat & Eidul Adha: 4 days - Dul Hijja 9, 10, 11 & 12 • Prophet Mohammad’s Birthday Rabie Awwal 12 • Al Isra Wal Miraj Rajab 27 • U.A.E. National Day December 2 and 3 Clause (18): DRess CoDe 1. Staff members and employees of the HAAD are expected and required to work together in upholding its values by maintaining proper dress and professional appearance that maintains the HAAD’s image both within the business and the local communities. 2. Formal national dress (Kandoura,Gutra & Agal). A staff member or employee may wear a suit, collared shirt with tie. 3. Female national dress (Sheila & Abaya). Wearing the following clothing is strictly prohibited: - All kinds of Jeans for men and women. - Tight , see-through or indecent clothing for women. - Unclean & untidy clothing for men and women. - Sport shoes. 4. All staff members and employees must display their work ID’s while on duty on the premises. Clause (19): HealtH insuRanCe - Staff members and employees of the HAAD are provided with health insurance coverage as required by law and detailed in the policy. - Expatriate staff members and employees are enrolled in the “Abu Dhabi Health Insurance” Program according to the following grades:20
• Staff members and employees in grade two and above are to be enrolled in the”International Program”. • Staff members and employees in all other grades are to be enrolled in the “Emirates Program”.Clause (20): emPloyee PeRfoRmanCe aPPRaisal & evaluationThe HAAD recognizes that its staff members and employees are itsmost important resource and that the continuous development of itsstaff members and employees is essential to the provision of excellentservices. The purpose of employee performance reviews is to improveemployee performance. The performance appraisal system applies toall staff members and employees of the HAAD. This is done in twomain stages: 1. Mid-Year performance evaluation. 2. Year-end performance evaluation. 21
Clause (21): annual leave 1. Staff members and employees are entitled to a paid periodic leave in proportion to the number of days they worked during their first year of employment. It shall be granted to them at such times deemed appropriate by the HAAD and in accordance with work requirements. After the first year, the staff member or employee shall have the right to take a full leave at any time contingent with the HAAD work requirements. 2. Staff members and employees shall be entitled to a fully paid annual leave six (6) months after the date of their appointments and after successfully completing the probationary period. The annual leave, to which staff members and employees are entitled, shall be calculated pursuant to the number of days of the calendar year. 3. A staff member or employee shall not be entitled to an annual leave for the period he/she is absent from work. 4. The HAAD Management shall reserve the right to plan, schedule and coordinate the leave of a staff member or employee so as to tally with the work conditions at the HAAD. Hence, the staff member or employee may be required to advance, delay or split his/her leave as per the work requirements at the HAAD. 5. Public holidays which are announced while a staff member or employee is on leave shall not be deemed part of such leave; however, those public holidays shall be added to the periodic leaves to which the staff member or employee is entitled. 6. Staff members and employees shall submit their applications for annual leave after obtaining the approval of the manager of the concerned department to the HR Section Head. Applications for annual leave must be submitted at least 10 working days prior to the commencement of the leave and, in exceptional cases, 3 days or less for short leaves, bearing in mind that the minimum duration of the annual leave is one day and shall not exceed 60 consecutive days at one time. 7. A staff member or employee may not leave work and proceed on his/her periodic leave before receiving a copy of the annual leave application which has been approved by the manager of the concerned department and the HR Section. Otherwise he/she shall be deemed absent from work without official permission. 8. The staff member or employee must resume work directly after the end of the leave, at the date fixed in the leave application. Failing to do so will result in the following actions: a. If the delay period was less than 15 days and justification 23 for the delay by the staff member or employee is accept- able to both the manager of the department in which he
works and the manager of the HR Section, then the delay period shall either be deducted from his periodic leave balance or deemed an unpaid leave. Otherwise, the delay shall be deemed an unpaid absence. b. If the excuse is rejected and the period of absence was less than 15 days, the latter shall be deemed an unpaid absence and the staff member or employee shall receive a first warning. If a period of unexcused absence is repeat- ed, the staff member or employee shall receive a second warning. If an unexcused absence occurs a third time, the matter shall be referred to the HR Committee for consid- eration. If the unexcused absence was 15 consecutive days or more, the matter shall be referred to the HR Committee so as to decide thereon. 9. The HAAD shall calculate the full balance of leave days due to its staff members and employees on January 1st every year. 10. On March 1st of each year all unused periodic leave of staff members and employees for the previous year shall be cleared. By the end of February of each year, all annual leaves are to be cleared. Clause (22): siCk leave 1. Any sick leave shall be substantiated by a medical report approved by a medical centre or a public hospital only. 2. For ordinary sick leave, which does not include leave resulting from work injury, staff members or employees shall be entitled throughout the year to paid sick leave provided that it shall not exceed 3 days at a time and 12 days per year. It shall be supported by a medical report issued by any medical centre or public hospital in the U.A.E or any of the hospitals affiliated to the HAAD. Should the leave be longer, the leave authorization shall only be granted pursuant to a medical report issued by any public hospital in the U.A.E or any of the hospitals affiliated to the HAAD. Otherwise, the staff member or employee shall be referred to a specialized medical board formed by the HAAD. The extra period shall be calculated as follows: a. First 30 days as total salary; b. Second 30 days as half the total salary. A staff member or employee shall not be entitled to any com- pensation or salary for the period exceeding his/her allowed sick leave. In case the entire leave period elapses and the staff member or employee does not resume work, he/she shall be referred to a competent medical board to re-examine his/her24 health condition, and the board shall put up its recommenda- tions to the CEO/Chairman of the HAAD.
3. Sick leave resulting from work-related injury or work-related illness, will entitle a staff member or employee to a paid sick leave as follows: a. First 6 months as total salary; b. Second 6 months as half the total salary. The staff member or employee shall not be entitled to any com- pensation or salary for a period which exceeds one year. Should this period elapse and the staff member or employee does not resume work, he/she shall be referred to a competent medi- cal board for re-examination of his/her health condition and the board shall put up its recommendations to the CEO/Chairman. 4. Absences from work that are due to non-medical situations such as drinking alcohol or taking drugs, cannot be utilized as sick leave. 5. Staff members and employees shall notify their supervisors of any cases of sickness or injury which prevent them from attending work within 24 hours of the onset of the sickness or injury.Clause (23): Haj leave 1. Muslim staff members and employees shall be granted once throughout their service period at the HAAD a special leave with a fully paid advance salary for 21 days so as to perform the Haj, provided that they have completed at least 12 months in the HAAD service. 2. Travel for Haj Leave shall be verified by checking the date of entry and departure in the passport of the Muslim staff member or employee.Clause (24): ComPassionate leaveStaff members and employees may be granted, with the approval ofthe manager of the concerned department, a compassionate leave upto 3 days upon the death of any family member (husband, wife, father,mother, brother, sister, son or daughter).Clause (25): Patient aCComPaniment leave outsiDe tHe u.a.e. 1. Special leave with total salary to accompany a patient The HAAD Chairman, pursuant to the recommendation of the HR Committee, may grant a staff member or employee a paid leave with full salary for not more than two months if he/she has to accompany a spouse, child, parent, or a relative up to 25 the second degree (grandfather, grandmother, brother, sister, grandchild) to undergo treatment outside the U.A.E.
2. Special leave with total salary to care for children A patient accompaniment leave may be granted to the wife or husband while either one of them is undergoing treatment with- in or outside the U.A.E., to care for the children who are notChapter Five: Training and Development older than ten years. 3. Extension of special leave By a decision of the HAAD Chairman, pursuant to the recom- mendation of the HR Committee, a special leave to accompany a patient or care for children may be extended for other terms of two months each without pay if necessary. Clause (26): mateRnity leave anD nuRsinG time off 1. Female staff members or employees shall be granted a maternity (delivery) leave, for 45 days with total salary, before or after the delivery. Female staff members and employees shall be entitled to a period of one hour daily for nursing the newborn during the year following the delivery. 2. U.A.E.national female staff members or employees shall be granted a nursing leave, for 15 days with full salary, in conjunction with the maternity leave so that both leaves (maternity and nursing) will be for 60 days. 3. The nursing leave shall be obligatory and shall fall due after the completion of the maternity leave; it may not be rolled forward, postponed or cashed out. 4. The leave shall be for 15 calendar days, and the official holidays falling within it would not be credited to the female staff member or employee’s leave balance. Clause (27): unPaiD leave By a decision of the manager of the concerned department, and with the approval of the Manager of HR Section, staff members and em- ployees may be granted unpaid leave up to 30 days maximum per an- num in approved cases. Clause (28): emeRGenCy leave 1- Emergency leave is taken for an unforeseen event where it may be impossible to obtain a prior approval. The concerned staff member or employee shall notify his supervisor verbally, at the earliest opportu- nity, of the nature of the emergency. 2- Emergency Leave shall not exceed 3 days at a time or 8 days per year. 3- A Staff member or employee shall submit a statement explaining26 the reason(s) he/she had to be absent from work to his/her manager. 4- The manager of the concerned department, after consulting the
direct supervisor of the staff member or employee and the Managerof the HR Section, may accept or reject the reason(s) for EmergencyLeave. Upon rejection, the staff member or employee shall be warnedfor the first time and the days of absence from work shall be calcu-lated and deducted from his/her salary. Upon recurrence he/she shallbe warned for the second time and the days of absence deducted fromthe salary. Upon the third such occurrence, the matter shall be re-ferred to the HR Committee for decision.5- Emergency Leave periods shall be deducted from the balance ofPeriodic Leave periods due to the staff member or employee.Clause (29): mouRninG leave/viDuityUpon the death of her husband, a female Muslim staff member oremployee shall be granted a Viduity Leave for 4 months and 10 daysfrom the date of the husband’s death.Clause (30): ContaGious Disease leaveEach staff member or Employee who suffers from a contagious dis-ease (which doesn’t prevent him/her from performing his/her duties)or mingles with a person suffering from a contagious disease, andthe competent Medical HAAD decides to prohibit him/her from per-forming his/her duties, shall be absent from work for a period to bedecided by the HAAD. His/her absence shall not be deducted fromhis/her Periodic or Sick Leave and he/she shall receive his/her totalsalary therefore. 27
Clause (31): GeneRal GuiDelines & objeCtives 1. All HAAD staff members and employees are given opportunities to attend training to improve their skills. The HAAD training courses aim to enhance and recommend training/development courses to help and contribute to the HAAD’s objectives. 2. HR/Training shall coordinate with departmental managers and prepare all staff members and employees. 3. All U.A.E.national staff members and employees will be provided with a development program in coordination with the management and will have training priority. 4. Each departmental manager shall prepare a regular review schedule with his staff members, employees and seniors. Such review shall focus on the staff members and employees’ development and assessment of their progress.Clause (32): stuDy leave: GeneRal ConDitionsFor more information refer to HR Section. This study leave option isstrictly for U.A.E. nationals upon management approval.Clause (33): stuDy afteR WoRkinG HouRsSome staff members and employees may be interested in registeringin courses or programs in their leisure time (after the working hours).In this case the following rules shall be applied: 1. The HAAD encourages its staff members and employees to continue developing their personal skills; however, the HAAD is not obliged to undertake to provide financial support or any other kind of assistance to this kind of development selected by the employee. 2. The HAAD shall not undertake to promote or change the staff member or employee’s grade or status as the result of obtaining an academic grade out of personal development initiative. 3. Employees participating in educational courses in their leisure time at institutions recognized by the HAAD may apply for examination leave as provided for in Clause (34) herein.Clause (34): examination leaveBy a decision of the departmental manager of the staff member oremployee, and upon approval by the HR Section Head, U.A.E nationalstaff members or employees may be granted a leave to take examina-tions with a total salary, on daily basis, for each day of examination (aday for preparing for the examination and a day to take the examina-tion) for a maximum period of 16 days in one academic year, if the 29examination is taken within the U.A.E.
1. Expatriate staff members and employees may be granted a leave with a total salary to take the examination for a period double the number of the examination days or for 8 days whichever is greater (actual period not including Fridays, Saturdays orChapter Five: Ternmination public holidays), provided that the degree intended from such examination is a higher degree consistent with the nature of the job the staff member or employee holds at the HAAD. 2. If the examination is to be taken abroad, U.A.E national staff member or employee shall be granted a leave to attend the examination on daily basis for each day of examination (*a day to prepare for the examination and a day to take it), in addition to 7 day travel (back and forth) and prepare for the examination, for a maximum period of 21 days in one academic year. a. Examination means the one taken at the end of the se- mester or the academic year, which shall not include the monthly tests, any admission or enrollment tests or the discussion of study project during the semester. b. Examination should be for obtaining a degree higher than that held by the staff member or employee or to obtain a recognized professional degree which is directly linked to his field of work.30
Clause (35): GeneRal PoliCy The relationship between the staff member or employee and the HAAD is contractual. Such relationship may be ended for many rea- sons, some of which are obligatory, upon which the service is directlyChapter Five: Ternmination terminated, some are optional, for both parties to the contract, the HAAD and the staff member or employee, shall have the right in their free will to terminate the same, and some for disciplinary reasons. Clause (36): teRmination WitH a Cause Obligatory termination is generally meant to be for any of the follow- ing reasons: 1. When he/she reaches the retirement age of sixty years old for U.A.E. nationals as per the law, unless the HAAD decides that the work interest requires him/her to remain in service. 2. When he/she reaches the age of fifty-five years old for expatriates, unless the HAAD decides that the work interest requires him/ her to remain in service. 3. If he/she is medically unfit for the job. 4. Cancellation of the job. 5. Submission of invalid document, qualification or deed. 6. If a staff member or employee is sentenced to three month imprisonment or convicted of a crime constituting dishonesty or breach of trust, in which case his/her service shall be terminated from the date of final judgment. 7. If the staff member or employee is sentenced to precautionary custody for more than three months. 8. If the staff member or employee performance is assessed as poor for two consecutive assessment periods. 9. If the staff member or employee has their UAE citizenship revoked/cancelled. 10. Upon Death. Clause (37): teRmination by tHe HaaD Staff member or employee service may be terminated by the HAAD for any one of the following reasons: 1. Staff member or employee proved to be incompetent during the probationary period. 2. Termination of service upon request by one of the competent authorities in the U.A.E. 3. Employment contract may be terminated by the HAAD for non- disciplinary reasons at any time after the end of the probationary32 period as provided for in the Employment Contract.
Clause (38): otHeR teRminationsThe service of a staff member or employee may be terminated uponhis/her request for the following reasons : 1. Resignation Staff members or employees may resign from the HAAD serv- ice with the aim to terminate their services therewith, by ren- dering written resignation as provided for in their employment contracts. A staff member or employee who submits his/her resignation without serving the notice provided for in the Em- ployment Contract shall be treated as absent from work and ab- sence provisions shall apply thereto. With approval of the HAAD the notice period may be shortened. 2. Retirement U.A.E. national staff members and employees may retire ac- cording to Civil Pensions & Retirement Gratuity Law of Abu Dhabi Emirate. 3. Absence from Work Should a staff member or employee be absent for thirty con- secutive days without an excuse acceptable to the HAAD, the contract shall be deemed as expired. Absence provisions set out in the Employment Contract shall apply thereto. 4. Employment with Another Employer If a staff member or employee joins the service of another em- ployer while he/she still holds a job with the HAAD, he/she shall be treated as absent and absence provisions shall apply there- to. 5. A staff member’s or employee’s service may be terminated without notice for disciplinary reasons as provided for in the HAAD’s Personnel Policy.Clause (39): GRievanCe aGainst teRmination of seRviCeIf the staff member or employee has good reasons, making him/her tobelieve that the termination of his/her service is not justified, he/shehas the right to submit a complaint to HR Section. The latter in turnshall study the reasons stated by the staff member or employee inhis/her letter of grievance and refer the same to CEO/Chairman withdue recommendations. The CEO/Chairman shall decide whether ornot the termination is in order. If it is found that the termination is notjustified, CEO/Chairman shall cancel the decision in writing togetherwith any consequences, retroactively.Clause (40): teRmination of seRviCe PRoCeDuRes 33 6. A decision to terminate the service of a staff member or employee shall be forwarded to HR Section. Such letter shall
state the valid date of termination of service and reasons, and shall be kept in the staff member’s or employee’s file. The HR Section shall immediately notify the concerned staff member or employee in writing of the termination of his/her service as wellChapter Five: Ternmination as his/her direct supervisor. 7. A Staff member or employee whose service has been terminated should be notified of the same within the period stipulated in his/her employment contracts. As decided by the Chairman / CEO, the staff member or employee may be relieved from his/ her duties during the notice period. However, he/she reserves his/her right for full compensation against the notice period. Clause (41): ComPensation PaiD uPon teRmination of seRviCe 8. Upon the death of an expatriate staff member or employee, while still in service, the total salary drawn by him/her shall be paid against the month of death in addition to the following three months, made as one payment, to the persons he was supporting at the time of death. Such payment shall be considered a grant from the HAAD; no deduction shall be made therefrom nor be withheld. 9. Upon termination of service U.A.E national staff members and employees shall be eligible for all entitlements as set forth in the Civil Pensions & Retirement Gratuity Code of Abu Dhabi Emirate. 10. Expatriate staff members and employees shall be eligible, upon termination of service, to end-of-service benefits at the rate of one month’s salary for each of the first 3 years, and 1½ month’s salary for any following year against his/her actual term of service with the HAAD. This shall be calculated on the last basic salary drawn by the staff member or employee. Staff members and employees shall not be eligible to end-of-service benefits if their service is less than one year. Days of absence without pay shall not be calculated within the term of service for which a staff member or employee is eligible to receive the end of service benefits. 11. If an expatriate staff member or employee is terminated due to absence from work, he/she shall forfeit one -fourth of his/her end of service benefits. 12. Upon the death of an expatriate staff member or employee during his/her service, the costs of transport of the dead body, and family members (wife and three dependent children under the age of 18 years old) shall be borne by the HAAD to the country of origin, provided that their residence permits shall be cancelled.34 Upon the death of a family member (wife or dependent children) of a staff member or employee, the HAAD shall bear the costs
of transport and travel expenses for one escort to the country of origin and back. 13. Upon death, total or partial disability, a U.A.E national staff member or employee shall be entitled to the compensation provided for in the Civil Pension & Retirement Gratuity Code of Abu Dhabi Emirate. 14. Upon death, total or partial disability, an expatriate staff member or employee shall be entitled to the compensation provided for in Regulation No. (4/1979) concerning death benefit for Government expatriate employees. 15. In case of termination of service of an expatriate staff member or employee, (First to Fourth Scale), the HAAD shall provide air passage to such staff member or employee, his wife and three of his dependent children under the age of 18 years old residing with the staff member or employee in Abu Dhabi, to the country of origin. No air tickets encashment is allowed. This provision of air tickets should not exceed one month after the cancellation of residence visa (sponsorship). Staff members and employees shall also be entitled to baggage expenses of Dhs 2,000 per person (employee + family). 16. An Expatriate staff member or employee who is willing to remain in the U.A.E after the termination of his/her service shall not be entitled to any dues related to departure (air tickets, excess baggage etc.). 17. Upon the death of any staff member or employee of the HAAD during his/her service, he/she shall be relieved of any financial dues or obligations towards the HAAD. 18. If the deceased staff member or employee was unmarried, the HAAD shall bear the cost of transporting his dead body, together with a return air ticket to one of his next-of-kin or acquaintance, to accompany the dead body to the country of origin.Clause (42): GeneRal PRovisions of teRmination of seRviCe 1. The residence visa for an expatriate staff member or employee shall be cancelled before his departure, as well as those of the family members of the expatriate staff member or employee who are under his sponsorship, by the Immigration Department in case it is required to repatriate them to their country of origin. However, in appreciation of the circumstances of the staff member or employee, the HAAD may decide not to cancel his/ her visa and transfer the same to another employer, provided that the approval of competent authorities is granted thereto. 2. Before receiving the end of service benefits and his/her 35 departure from the U.A.E, a staff member or employee shall return all the HAAD property in good condition, except normal
wear and tear. For damage to the HAAD property which exceeds normal wear and tear, the staff member or employee shall be responsible to compensate the HAAD for the damaged property. Moreover, in case of any advance payments or loans from theChapter Six: Professional Standards HAAD, a staff member or employee shall settle the same. Otherwise, the same shall be deducted from his/her end of service benefits before settlement thereof. A staff member or employee shall also be responsible to compensate the HAAD for the value of any damage which exceeds his/her entitled end of service benefits. Upon failure of a staff member or employee to make such compensation to the HAAD, legal action shall be taken against him/her. Clause (43): lonG seRviCe ReWaRD In appreciation of long service, the HAAD shall give tribute to and reward the staff members and employees who have remained in continuous service of the HAAD from 5 to 20 years. In this case the approval of the CEO/Chairman should be obtained to offer gifts and symbolic rewards. The CEO/Chairman may reward the staff member or employee whose service is less than the period mentioned in this Clause, if he/she provided distinctive services to the HAAD during his/ her service. Clause (44): final settlement, exPeRienCe CeRtifiCate & Clea - anCe 1. A staff member or employee whose service has been terminated shall, before leaving the HAAD, train his/her successor if so requested within the last month of his/her service in the HAAD. 2. Final settlement and payment of dues shall not be completed before obtaining the following documents: 9 Letter of Clearance from all the Departments within the HAAD including his/her own. 9 Letter of Clearance from the Bank to which his/her salary has been transferred during the service. 9 Letter of Clearance from Etisalat (Emirate Telecommunications Corporation) for his/her or his/her family members’ telephones. 9 Letter of Clearance from Water & Electricity for his HAAD- provided accommodation. 9 Letter of Clearance from the landlord if the tenancy contract is in the HAAD name. 9 Letter of Confirmation from the Accounts Department that all amounts due from the staff member or employee have 36 been settled.
9 The staff member or employee shall return any of the HAAD property in his/her custody. 9 Proof that the staff member or employee, and his/her family’s, visas or sponsorship have been cancelled or transferred.3. Upon completion of the final settlement, all amounts due to the staff member or employee shall be paid thereto including the end of service benefits. The staff member or employee shall also be furnished with an experience certificate, so long as the staff member or employee successfully passed the probationary period4. Last salary and end-of-service benefits shall be paid to the staff member, employee or his legally authorized representative, or as otherwise decided by the court in case of any court judgment. 37
Clause (45): GeneRal PRovisions of DisCiPlinaRy aCtions 1. Any staff member or employee who breaches any of the laws, rules and instructions issued by the HAAD management shall be facing disciplinary actions and appropriate punishment shall be imposed thereon. 2. Hereunder are some examples of such offenses and breaches: • Breach of the official working hours. • Staff or employee being uncooperative with seniors and colleagues. 3. No disciplinary action shall be taken against the staff member or employee unless an investigation has been conducted in which his/her statement has been taken and defense has been heard. The investigation, staff member or employee statement and defense shall be recorded in a report to be filed in his/her personal file. No more than one disciplinary action shall be taken against the same offense. 4. A staff member or employee should be informed in writing of any disciplinary action imposed against him/her, stating the type and value of punishment and reasons for such punishment. 5. Disciplinary action decisions filed in the personal file of the staff member or employee may be removed from his/her record in the following events: • After one year for a reprimand. • After one year for warning or deduction from salary. • After three years for other punishments. • Removal of disciplinary actions from the staff member’s or employee’s file shall be effected according to his/her senior’s recommendation, Department Manager and HR Director approval and CEO/Chairman sanction. This shall take place after submission of reports about the staff member and employee proving that his/her conduct, productivity and performance have tremendously improved. In this case all the disciplinary actions shall be removed from his/her file.Clause (46):investiGation(For more information refer to HR Section).Clause (47):DisCiPlinaRy aCtionsDisciplinary actions which may be imposed on the HAAD staff mem-ber or employee are: • Reprimand 39 • First Warning
• Second Warning • Deduction from salary • Staff member or employee suspension with half basic salary or without salary for no more than two months. • Staff member or employee demotion by one grade. • Final warning • Dismissal Clause (48):DisCiPlinaRy aCtions autHoRity matRix Disciplinary actions provided for in Clause (47) above are approved as follows: • By the Chairman of HAAD for Special Scale staff members and managers of departments. • By the CEO/Chairman for the rest of the staff members and employees. Clause (49):staff ComPlaints In order to build up good and strong relationships between the HAAD and its staff members and employees and to maintain such relation- ships, complaints and grievances of staff members and employees should be considered and solved as soon as possible. (For more infor- mation refer to HR Section). Clause (50):staff GRievanCes There will be no grievance by staff members or employees unless there is a disagreement between a staff member or employee and his direct senior on the solution to the problem at hand. (For more infor- mation refer to HR Section).40
Chapter seven: Disciplinary Action Health Authority - Abu Dhabi,42 P.O.Box 5674, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Tel: +9712-4493333, Fax: +9712-4449822