MOBILE VAS Ideas
Abhijeet Singh Malan;
Indian VAS Market
Market Research & Analysis
• Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt Ltd is the largest
aggregator, developer, publisher of Bollywood and South-Asian
entertainment content in the world
• Hungama servers content to consumers in 47 countries across
mobile, internet, IPTV services
• Hungama has managed more than 2500 mobile and digital
• Hungama has built expertise in the mobile content, mobile
marketing and mobile media areas which includes content
aggregator and distribution, value added services such as voice, text
and data, application and gaming and www.hungama.com
• This project is focussed on recommending new growth
opportunities to Hungama in the mobile VAS area over and above
its current offering
● India is a young nation with over 64% of its citizens below the age of 34
years and with literacy rate of around 80% amongst the age group of 15-24
● The nation’s growth and employment opportunities have made the younger
generation mobile with the rising income. This combination of age, income
and people’s mobility promises a great future.
● Good applications and readiness of handsets could drive over INR 55,000
crores of VAS revenue by 2015.
Indian Mobile VAS Market
VAS Market Potential
● Huge market potential because of low adoption and awareness among the
● A detailed primary and secondary market research was conducted to
understand the consumer behaviour and intent before the proposed ideas
● Market Research Findings:
● What do people use data services for?
● Data Services Usage per Month
● Likeliness of spending money on value added services:
Market Research & Analysis
Key Findings: What’s on offer
is the most important factor
● Virtual Mate – personalized virtual friend who understands you,
your needs and desires.
● Let’s Network –platform agnostic instant messaging service.
● Agri Trader – mobile based agricultural produce trading
● Let’s Do Something – an interactive self learning application which
uses your location to make recommendations.
● Flash Memory – Interactive learning through flash cards when the
user is travelling and is stressed for time.
● All ideas have more than 50% positive response or willingness
to buy in the primary market research (100 Reponses)
“Virtual mate” : Your Personalised Virtual Friend
● Understands your tastes and adapts accordingly
● Suggests search results according to your needs.
● Keeps you updated on your favourite band, movies and TV programs
● Advises you while shopping – suggests best prices available across the
● Can be used for very targeted marketing wherein your virtual mate can
suggest a movie night with pizza and also tell you about the
pizza shop’s latest discount offering.
● Monetisation can also be done adapting the Virtual World
concepts where people can buy virtual things
(e.g. Gifts, haircuts, dresses) for their virtual friend
“Let’s Network” : A mobile platform agnostic instant messenger
● Provides an interactive Instant Messaging platform for a closed group
● The platform will also support gaming and file sharing
● The application can also include features such as locating members (when
signed up friends are in proximity)
● The IM will also include add-on features such as Integrated quiz/trivia
portal, survey/voting utility etc
● The group can be custom designed to add on additional features such as
“Agri Trader : A mobile based agricultural produce trading
● Provides an interactive mobile based trading platform where farmers can
track the prices and sell their produce more efficiently without haggling at
● Prices can be driven from live data sourced from institutions such as
regulated markets or from bid/sell prices available from the market
● Prices can also be fixed via negotiation between a buyer and seller
● The revenue model can be SMS based or an application on a data
enabled mobile phone
● This model can be adapted to cater for variety of avenues
such as freelance work, plumbers, electricians, temp
staffing, Suggests search results adapted to your needs
“Let's Do Something: A location based service
● Provides an interactive, self learning application which learns from your
historic choices and recommend things to do where ever you are .
● The application will initially start from the input you provide and then starts
using historic data to understand your choice, preference and taste.
● GPS position can be utilized for location based target marketing
● The revenue model can be via revenue sharing from the information
provides (for e.g. restaurants, theatres, etc), retailers and also from the
An educational application “Flash Memory”
● Provides an interactive learning through "Flash Cards" to revise and study
whilst you the user is mobile and time stressed.
● The flash cards can be created by the educational institution or can also be
● Can also provide opportunity for students to created study plans, revision
plans and share information among the a pre-specified group members