Safe Sounds in Canada, 2014,
Joan Vinall-Cox, Ph.D.
Music for Podcasting, etc.
• What’s safe and legal?
• Where do you find out?
Canadian Copyright 2014
• “Fair dealing for education:
– The Bill enables the use of copyrighted materials
for the purpose of education, provided the use is
– (i.e., it does not harm the market for a work).”
For Copyrighted Music
• “SOCAN represents the Canadian performing
rights of millions of Canadian and
international music creators and publishers.
• Through licences,(sic) SOCAN gives businesses
that use music the freedom to use any music
they want, legally and ethically.”
What’s in Your Music App?
You Can Listen to What You’ve Bought,
But You Can’t Use in Your Podcasts -
If Music is Copyrighted …
• You must get permission and/or a license
– or – you could be sued and have your podcast taken down
• In Canada, you go to SOCAN to pay to use copyrighted
• Public Domain
• Creative Commons http://creativecommons.org/about
– “Want to encourage readers to re-publish your
blog posts, as long as they give you credit?
– Looking for songs that you can use and remix,