Localize and Mobilize
Search Commander, Inc.
• Started marketing online in 1998 selling
software and computer repair services
• Began online marketing for others in 2002
• Co-founded SEMpdx in Portland OR in 2006
• 9th Las Vegas Pubcon, and it’s an honor to be
here on this panel!
What we do for local sites
• Structured data use
• Facilitate interaction w/ review sites
• Gathering testimonials & ratings
What is Structured Data?
• The search and data industries have come
together to standardize, and make the sharing
of information simpler.
• Google recognizes schema.org, microformats,
microdata, RDFa and even has a tool now in
Webmster Tools called Data Highlighter
• We lookup the client address at the USPS, and
change the address on the site to match.
• For a single location business, we place the
address in the footer of the site.
• We ensure that we‘re presenting that info
using the correct schema structured data
• Schema.org provides a collection of html tags
so webmasters can markup their pages in ways
recognized by major search providers.
• ‘Search providers‘ means not only G, Y and B,
but everything from Global Positioning Systems
like TomTom to services like Apple Maps
In WordPress, we put it in Footer.php
To get it on one line, you can just put it in a table…
<div align="center"><table><tr><td><div itemscope
Name</strong></div></td><td><div itemprop="address" itemscope
itemtype="http://schema.org/PostalAddress"><span itemprop="streetAddress"> 1234
5th Street</span> <span itemprop="addressLocality">City</span>, <span
Business Name - 1234 5th Street Cityname, CA 12345
Local Search Contact Page
The free plug-in does not –
• Support Multi-location (premium does)
• Have a widget (premium does)
• Add a KML Sitemap – (premium does not)
• KML = Keyhole Markup Language
• For expressing geographic information and
visualization for telling apps like Google Earth,
Maps, etc. exactly where you are located
• May be overkill to use one, but is certainly
can‘t hurt you, so why not make one?
• Create a KML sitemap & upload to your site
• Google no longer supports direct submission
• Reference the KML sitemap file from your
regular sitemap.xml file
• Clicking on the locations.kml file will open it in
• Data Overkill? Maybe, but why not do it?
Facilitate user interaction w/ review sites
Would you rather have a review than a link?
Ask for them (despite what “they“ tell you)
Send links, postcards, use QR codes on the
tables and doors.
• Make it easy for users to leave them by sending
them to a specific feedback page
Not to be confused with “reviews“
Just as important though
Don‘t steal your content from review sites ;)
Follow up post-sale with telephone interviews
to ensure and improve customer satsfaction.
• Use forms to gather customer info, then
display it with schema / aggregate ratings
• Schema rating scores are supposed to be for
the review sites, and *not* for testimonials
displayed on your own site.
• However, I would ask... why not?
• I see no problem with aggregating the ratings
and presenting them in structured data.
• We ARE doing this for clients, and IMO there‘s
nothing wrong with doing so, if they‘re legit.
• I‘m 100% positive... that I think so ;)
What did I want?
Easy for non-programmers (me)
Shortcodes for use in the body or in widgets
Customizable options for their display
Customizable collection form
Rating scale (for rich snippets / stars)
Image upload for the testimonial writers
Structured data output including aggregation
Really, how hard could this be?
• I almost didn’t try it because “widget” was
included in the name.
• The free version NOW offers almost everything
I need, and is just about perfected.
• I bought the premium version because after
our interactions, rating stars were integrated.
• The pages pass the Rich Snippet Tester with
flying colors, and pages are good looking, and
easily styled with CSS
• Responsive Design – I’m not a big fan because
text is often too small for me. Responsive does
NOT have to mean “eliminate pinch & zoom”!
• Give me mobile CTA’s
• Keep it fast!
• Limit my navigation
• Give me a full desktop view option
• There are TONS of mobile option$
Mobilize – WP Touch
Don’t forget to add Analytics code!
Heavy customization is possible
Pro version offers even more design options
Tap to Call SHOULD be built in, but it’s not –
<a href="555-555-5555">Tap to Call</a>
Add the link in any post or page
(Or add a class for styling)
<a class="call" href="555-555-5555">Call Now!</a>
Scott Hendison - @shendison
All the links:
A few more extras:
Client Business Profile Sheet
SEO Automatic Tools
KML / Geo sitemap generator
Local Keyword Tool
Lat / Long tool
Neighborhood Lookup Tool
Local Search Contact Page Plugin
Google Structured Data Tool
Our Profiles - WP Plugin
Testimonials Widget – WP Plugin
WP Touch for Mobile - WP Plugin