Just in case you did not know this about Estonia and the Baltic...here is where we are. To put it into perspective, we’re a half hour flight to Heslinki
Foreign investors have played a very significant roll in Estonia since its independence in 1991. In fact according to the UN’s World Investment Report, at the end of 2008, Estonia had a total FDI stock of 11,906 USD per capita, which is the highest among the EU new members, ahead of the Czech Republic and Hungary. All of these international companies have invested in Estonia as a manufacturing hub to service regional and global markets.
Since Ericsson entered the Estonian market in the 1990s, its turnover growth has been from roughly six million euros in 1996 to an expected turnover of nearly 100 million euros in 2009. Currently, Ericsson employs 1400 people in Estonia, approximately one-third of them engineers, and the company still plays a very active role in creating a favorable environment for hand-picking its employees. Apart from its manufacturing activities, Ercisson also provives global technical support from Estonia and has been actively involved in partnering with Estonian Universities, government agencies such as Tallinn Technical University, the IT College, Tehnopol, and the Ülemiste IT Park. And with innovative Estonian companies. A good example is Regio. Partnering with Ericsson, EMT, and the Estonian Rescue Board, this Tartu-based mapping company built the world’s first mobile positioning system. Essentially, the technology allows for a person in an emergency situation to dial 112 (the Estonian equivalent of emergency number 911) and be located via their mobile transmission
85% of the population have e-identity in their pocket. Readiness in society for secure athentication and to sign digitally (e-banking, i-voting, e-health, e-tax etc.).
1. 28.03.2011 Valdar Liive Estonian Investment and Trade Agency Enterprise Estonia , Helsinki www.investinestonia.com www.tradewithestonia.com www.eas.ee Estonian ICT environment
2. Strategic Location: Estonia is the heart of the Baltic Sea. Small country but big punch! A rea 45, 227 km 2 (similar in size to Denmark or the Netherlands) P opulation 1. 34 million (68% Estonians, 25% Russians) Capital Tallinn (403,000) Distances from Tallinn to: - Helsinki 85 km; - Riga 310 km; - St. Petersburg 350 km; - Stockholm 375 km. C urrency EURO Estonia became a NATO member state on 29 March 2004 Estonia became a European Union member state on 1 Ma y 2004 Estonia became the OECD's 34th member country on 9 December 2010 <ul><li>Country credit ratings </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Fitch A </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>S&P A </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Moody’s A1 </li></ul></ul>
3. <ul><li>Enterprise Estonia is the largest state foundation providing financing, counselling, co-operation opportunities and training for the corporate sector, research institutions, the public and the NGOs. </li></ul><ul><li>We are the implementing agency for the EU Structural Funds business and regional support programmes in Estonia. </li></ul><ul><li>With representative offices in Helsinki, London, Stockholm, Moscow, St Petersburg, Hamburg, Kiev, Tokyo, Shanghai and Silicon Valley, Enterprise Estonia is also active in foreign investment, trade and tourism promotion. </li></ul><ul><li>Regional offices in Jõhvi and Tartu </li></ul><ul><li>A network in each Estonian county: county development centres (CDC) , tourism information centres (TIC); </li></ul><ul><li>A total of 29 0 employees </li></ul><ul><li>2011budget 200 MEUR </li></ul>Enterprise Estonia Today
4. Successes Stories OEMs using Estonia as an International Production & Distribution Hub
5. Success Stories – Ericsson <ul><li>Geography </li></ul><ul><li>“ We’re close to harbors and the airport, we have a great working setup. Logistically Estonia is really well placed. This was no small thing in making the decision to come here.” </li></ul><ul><li>Seth Lackman, Vice President of the Nordic and Baltic states Market Unit , Ericsson </li></ul>A Winning Equation “ It takes only simple math to conclude this is a great place to do business. In Sweden, one employee has roughly 1,400 workable hours. In Estonia, the same employee has 1,750 hours.
6. Information society indicators <ul><li>100% of schools and government organisations have broadband connection </li></ul><ul><li>71% of families have computer at home </li></ul><ul><li>68% of homes have broadband connection </li></ul><ul><li>99% of bank transfers are performed electronically </li></ul><ul><li>92% of income tax declarations made via the e-Tax Board </li></ul><ul><li>Four operational 3G and two 4G networks </li></ul><ul><li>1139 public WiFi areas for 45 227km² </li></ul><ul><li>25% of votes were cast over the internet on 2011 </li></ul><ul><li>Source: Estonian Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications </li></ul>
7. ID-Card <ul><li>2002 - introduction of national electronic ID-Card </li></ul><ul><li>1 140 398 active ID-Cards </li></ul><ul><li>Compulsory for all residents </li></ul><ul><li>Contains: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Information shown on the card </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Certificate for authentication (along with e-mail address [email_address] ) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Certificate for digital signature </li></ul></ul>Population: 1,340,415
9. <ul><li>2000: Launch of e-Tax Board </li></ul><ul><li>2000: Launch of m-Parking </li></ul><ul><li>2003: Launch of ID bus ticket </li></ul><ul><li>2005: i-Voting was introduced </li></ul><ul><li>2007: Introduction of m-ID </li></ul><ul><li>2007: Launch of e-Police system </li></ul><ul><li>2008: Launch of e-Health system </li></ul><ul><li>2010: Launch of e-Prescription </li></ul>Some achievements
10. FinEst Mobile Innovation www.momoestonia.com www.mobilemonday.net
12. ! Garage48 Helsinki 2011 14-16th January 2011 @ Aalto Venture Garage Garage48 is a boot-camp style community event to build new services just in 48 hours. Garage48 www.garage48.org
15. Welcome! Enterprise Estonia, Helsinki Eesti Maja – Viro-keskus Sörnäisten rantatie 22 C, 00540 Helsinki Valdar Liive Puh: +358 40 83 046 56 [email_address] www.eas.ee www.investinestonia.com www.visitestonia.com www.tradewithestonia.com www.estonia.eu www.demoestonia.eu