Impact of Social
What is social network
What is social networking site(SNS)
Features of SNS
History of SNS
List of some popular SNS
Growth of SNS
Merits and Demerits of SNS
Types of crime of SNS
Social networking safety tips
•A social network is a social structure made
up of individuals.
•Connected by one or more specific types
of interdependency such as
friendship, common interest, financial
exchange, relationships of
beliefs, knowledge etc.
Website or Software that allows you to receive
and disseminate information interactively. There
is a variety of different formats of social media
that equip users with the ability to share
information. E.g. social networking sites, video
sharing sites ,picture sharing.
What is social networking
Social networking sites is web-based services that
allow individuals to
• construct a public or semi-public profile within a
• articulate a list of other users with whom they
share a connection.
• view their list of connections and those made by
others within the system.
experience, within social context of participation.
Boyd and Ellison (2007)
Social networking sites :
• offer a wide variety of resources and services
audios and videos
• provide an online platform for students of
diverse backgrounds and nationalities.
Features of SNS
Presentation of oneself
Externalization of data
New ways for community formation
Ease of use
Reorganization of Internet geography
• In 1954, anthropologist J. A. Barnes used the
phrase "social network" to describe the complex
• First social networking site: Six degrees
• Launched in 1997 in New York city by Andrew
Weinreich. SixDegrees.com allowed users to
create profiles, list their friends and in beginning
of 1998 surf the friends lists. The site had
around 1 million fully registered members.
• Users could send messages and post bulletin
board items to people.
• The most visited and used social networking
• Launched in February 2004.
• Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg
with his friends.
• Has over one billion active users, more than
half of whom use Facebook on mobiles.
• Launched in July 2006 by Jack Dorsey.
• 500 million registered users as of
2012, generating over 340 million tweets
• Since its launch, Twitter has become one of
the ten most visited websites on the
Internet, and has been described as "the SMS
of the Internet.“
Francisco, with additional servers and offices
in New York City, Boston, and San Antonio.
• Owned and operated by Google.
• Was one of the most visited websites in India
• As of October 2011, 59.1% of Orkut users are
from Brazil, followed by India with 27.1% and
Japan with 6.7%.
• Originally hosted in California, in August 2008
• was launched on July, 1997
• As of April 2007, there were 1.4 million
• At its peak, there were over 2 million users
with more than 5000 online at any time.
Google+ (G+) is a
• multilingual social networking owned and
operated by Google Inc.
• Launched on June , 2011.
• On July 2011, Google announced that Google+
had reached 10 million users just two weeks
after the launch.
• As of December 2012, it has a total of 500
million registered users.
• Launched in August 2003
• operated in California .
• In June 2012, Myspace had 25 million unique
• Myspace was the most visited social
networking site in the world till June 2006
• Operated in San Francisco, California.
• Founded in 2003 by Ramu Yalamanchi.
• By 2008, comScore reported that Hi5 had
become the third most popular social
networking site in terms of monthly unique
• Hi5 has 46.1 million global visitors
• Launched in 1999
• Was purchased by SK Communications in 2003
and became one of the first companies to profit
from the sale of virtual goods.
• By 2006 its domestic user-base numbered 19
million, but this had dropped to 18 million by
• It provide service to the Chinese and Vietnamese
markets where it has subscriber bases of 7 million
and 450,000, respectively.
• Friendster is a social gaming site that is based in
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
• It was previously known as a social networking
• Friendster was founded by American computer
programmer Jonathan Abramsin in 2002, before
the wider adoption of MySpace (2003), Facebook
(2004) and other social networking sites.
• Friendster was one of the first of these sites to
attain over 1 million members.
Social networking is the most
popular online activity
THE RISE OF THE GLOBAL SOCIAL
Source: comScore Media Metrix, Worldwide.
More than half of local
engage in social
Percentage of Online Population Using Social
Networking around the World
Source: comScore Media Metrix, Worldwide.
Number of users on popular
Users (in million)
The Importance of Facebook Cannot
• Facebook ranked 2nd most visited website and
1st in SNS category
• 3 in 4 minutes on social networking sites are
spent on Facebook
• 1 in 7 minutes spent online are spent on
• India ranked no. 3rd with 62.6 million users
after U.S with 163 million and Brazil 66 million
Growth of facebook
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Source: Facebook Inc
Trend of visitors(million) to Facebook
and Orkut in India
source: comScore Media metrix.
It’s not just young
people using social
networking anymore –
Users by age on SNS worldwide
Users by age on some popular sites
Users according to Age groups in India
Lack of privacy
Scams and Harassment
Reduces command over
• Creates isolation
• Reduced learning and research
• Reduction in their focus of
• Reduction in real human contact
• Low grades
• Loss of motivation in students
• May lead to mental health issues
• People putting funny picture of
politicians with bad content
• To get more attention people use
fake /wrong information
Types of crime on SNS
• Hacking :-The activity of breaking into a computer
system to gain an unauthorized access is known as
• Cyber stalking :-The use of communication
technology, mainly the Internet, to torture other
individuals is known as cyber stalking.
• Phishing :-Phishing is the act of attempting to
usernames, passwords and credit card details.
• Identity Theft :-This is one of the most serious
frauds as it involves stealing money and obtaining
other benefits through the use of a false identity.
Social Networking Safety Tips
• Review the Web site’s safety notifications, standards.
• Parents should talk to their children. Explaining what information
is private and public.
• Understand that people are not who they claim they are.
• Be careful - Take pre-cautions to prevent possible negative
• Set your profile ‘Private’ to screen outsiders.
• Maintain your computer’s defenses.
• Research other online internet safety resources.
• Every person that using the SNS should be aware about their
rights and moral responsibilities.
• One must respect the authentication and privacy of those
members that are using SNS.
• One must follow the ethics of online identity.
• Internet is one of the important source of interacting people
worldwide. In the recent times the use of internet is more
enhanced with emergence of social networking sites, like
facebook , twitter etc. This new interaction pattern through
internet has both positive and negative aspects. On one hand
SNS are connecting people in this busy world, and is a good
source of entertainment and information. On the other hand
these sites are very addictive ,has risk of fake account and fake
information and some privacy issues.
• If the corrective measures are enforced strictly it can be a boon
for the users. Rest depend upon the intentions of the users.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.