2. Objective• When searching the Internet for information, students will be able to critically evaluate web sites to locate authentic sites using the REAL evaluation process.
3. Get REAL With Web EvaluationR = Read the URLE = Examine the ContentA = Ask About the Author and OwnerL = Look at the Links
4. Read the URL Country Codes .at Austriahttp://www.cnn.com .au Australia .ca Canada .ch Switzerlandhttp://support.microsoft.com .cn China .de Germany .es Spainhttp://sahistory.org.za Web Extensions .et Ethiopia .fr France .edu Higher Education (most U.S. colleges) .gr Greecehttp://www.kiwirecovery.org.nz/ .k12 .sch U.S. School Site (not all U.S. schools use this) Schools in the United Kingdom (not all U.K. .ie Ireland this) schools use .ac .in India Academic Institution (usually outside of the United States) .com Commercial .iq Iraqhttp://www.moma.org/learn/ .org .gov Any Organization Government Agency .it Italy .jp Japan .net Network .nz New Zealandhttp://www.sandiegozoo.org/teachers/_ classroom_acti .mil U.S. Military .pk Pakistan .uk United Kingdom .us United States .za South Africa
5. Personal Page• http://pubweb.northwestern.edu/~abutz.intro• ~ = tilde• May contain biased opinions.• % may also indicate personal info.
6. Examine the Content Is the information on the site helpful? Does the site have more resources and links? Is the site up to date? Can I tell when it was last updated? Is the information correct? Are the facts different from information I have found elsewhere?Complete the worksheet for the following 3 sites.• http://www.frogsonice.com/froggy/• http://www.exploratorium.edu/frogs/index.html• http://www.froggyville.com/index.php
7. Ask About the Author and Owner Is the author’s name on the site? Is there a contact person or email address? Is there any information about the author? Does the author know the topic well? Is he or she an expert? Go to the following sites and ask the questions above.• http://www.lobsterlib.com/index.html• http://www.improbable.com/airchives/classical/cat/cat.ht• http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/jod/• http://home.inreach.com/kumbach/velcro.html
8. Look at the LinksForward Links:• What are the URLs of the forward links?• Do the domain names change? (Same person/group writing everything)• Is the information biased?Back Links:• Who is linked to the Web site?• Why are they linked?• What do other sites say about the information on the site?
9. Forward Links• http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/• Are there any links on this site to trustworthy sources that prove that the tree octopus exists?• What are they?• What makes these sites trustworthy in your eyes?
10. Back Links http://home.inreach.com/kumbach/velcro.html• To check back links go to: http://www.altavista.com/• In the search box type link:http://home.inreach.com/kumbach/velcro.html