1. To identify the battles and strategies that
led to VE day & VJ day
2. To analyze the impact of D-day, battle of
the bulge and the dropping of the bomb
· FDR won an
fourth term in
office in 1944.
· However, in April
of 1945, FDR died,
Truman to assume
Harry S Truman taking
the oath of office after
the death of Franklin
D. Roosevelt, April 12,
1945. The following
day, Truman spoke to
reporters and said, "...I
don't know whether
you fellows ever had a
load of hay fall on you,
but when they told me
yesterday what had
happened, I felt like the
moon, the stars, and all
the planets had fallen
day of days
• When? – June 6, 1944
• Where? – Normandy, France
• Results? – A fleet of 4,000 ships carried Allied
troops to Normandy in order to invade France in
an attempt to defeat the Germans.
• Importance? – On August 25, 1944, Allied forces
liberated Paris from Nazi rule…which D-Day
June 6, 1944: D-DAY
• 3 divisions invaded German lines
– U.S., British, Canadian
• 156,000 troops, 4,000 landing
crafts, 600 warships, & 11,000
• The largest land-sea-air
operation in HISTORY
• Regained much of French
Battle of the Bulge:
• When? December 16, 1944–
• Where? border areas near Luxembourg, France–
• Results? The Germans began a counterattack–
against the Allies as the Allies attempted to drive
the Germans completely out of France.
• Importance? This battle showed the–
desperation of the German forces. While the
Germans were able to slow down the Allied
advance, they could not stop it completely.
Victory in Europe
· By April of 1945,
American and Soviet
troops were closing in
The endless procession of
German prisoners marching
through the ruined city streets
· Adolf Hitler
committed suicide on
April 30, and Germany
on May 7.
Red army soldiers raising the Soviet flag on the roof of the
Reichstag (German Parliament) in Berlin, Germany.
• Soviet Army
• Germany pushed
back after Battle
of the Bulge
• Camps had been
• Victory in Europe Day!!!
– May 8, 1945
– General Eisenhower
surrender of the
· On May 8, the
the nation that
the war with
8 May 1945.
V-E Day Celebrations in New York City, May 8, 1945.
Island Hopping in the Pacific
• The U.S. began a policy of
using islands as
Video: Island Hopping - The U.S. invasion of the Tarawa Atol
• The two main goals of
the U.S. in the Pacific
1. to regain the
2. to invade Japan.
· By February of 1945, the U.S. had
recaptured the Philippines and captured the
islands of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
a U.S. Navy
flag o f the
ato p Mount
Battle o f Iwo
HOW ARE WE GOING TO…Defeat of Japan?
· The U.S. planned to invade Japan in 1945, though
experts warned that the invasion could cost over a
Stalin, Truman and Churchill at the
· Upon learning
about the atomic
Truman sent the
warning them to
surrender or face
“prompt and utter
To drop the bomb or
• Truman just learns of the Manhattan project
• Thebest-keptsecretof thewar
• Should they use the atomic bomb?
– Might not work
– Could set the atmosphere on fire
– End the Earth
They first tested the bomb in New
– More powerful than expected
How would the Japanese respond?
2. Test might be a dud-nothing would happen
3. Shoot down the delivery plane or move
American prisoners of war into the test
· On August 6, 1945, the U.S. dropped an atomic bomb
on Hiroshima, Japan, killing at least 70,000 people and
destroying most of the city.
The aftermath of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima.
· On August 9, the U.S. dropped another atomic bomb on the
city of Nagasaki, killing at least 40,000 people.
Mushroom cloud from the
nuclear explosion over
Nagasaki rising 60,000
feet into the air on the
morning of August 9 1945