Cathal Wilson, PhD, – Director
Polymer Processing Cost Savings Workshop
21st March 2014
• Established 1992.
• Export 98% of goods to 65+ Countries
• Backward Integrated Manufacturing
• Specialists in Infrared for Industry.
• Produces components, systems and Control.
• Produces Finished Equipment and machinery.
• Advancing the Science of Infrared Process Heating
through Research Centre C2I2.
• www.ceramicxinfraredtraining.com now available
• Heavily involved in Contract R&D work.
What is Infrared?
• All Ranges of Infrared Components
– Short Wave – Quartz Halogen/Tungsten Emitters - 0.75 –
– Medium Wave – Quartz Cassette Emitters - 1.4 - 3 μm
– Long Wave – Ceramic Emitters - 3 - 10 μm
Parts and Components
Online Shop for Parts and Components Uk & Ireland
Office Opening in Cambridge to better Serve Uk Next
Projects and Finished
Equipment Supplied into
•Packaging – Roll Fed
Cut Sheet, extrusion
machine post processing &
•Oil – Extrusion machine
post processing and joining
•White Goods – Food
Industry 14 Patents
•Glass – Automotive and
High End Glass
Irwin 44 inline Thermoformer Upgrade
Clamshell style oven and control system 160KW, 132 control zones, ceramic
hollow constructed upper heaters, anodised aluminium lower heaters. Zone
temperature feedback via type K thermocouples and infrared thermometers.
Hetronik HC 500 power control with Siemens S7-300 master and 17’’
touchscreen panel PC. Ability to swap between closed and open loop control.
Expecting orders for 2 more machine upgrades this year.
Ceramicx Centre for Infrared
Current Partner Universities
•Trinity College Dublin
•Institute for Manufacturing,
•University of Limerick
•University of Duisburg Essen
•Cork Institute of Technology
€1million+ in Innovation Partnership
Support from E.I. and €10,000
Over €500,000 in 2 European Projects
with a further 4 Horizon 20:20
partnerships in the pipeline
Research & Development
Herschel currently doing significant work in
developing data and reports.
Noticing increase in enquiries relating to bio
materials, infrared can be used in flash
curing of silicone tube, stabilisation of
polymer webs, and in shrinking or joining
was launched on Friday February 14th. This
is almost complete with respect to the
Comfort IR section and the Industrial
sections will be complete in the coming 6-8
Ultimate ambition is the creation of an RTO,
Research Technical Organisation attached to
the company but this will take a number of
INFRARED HEATING TOOLS
What is the Herschel?
• What are we building?
– A tool for mapping IR in 3D space
Important open questions
• How efficient are these heaters?
• Are they designed correctly?
• To develop a scientific instrument
for measuring IR heat around heater
• To map the infrared heat flux
distribution, from a heater, in 3D
• To measure the energy efficiency of
IR heater assemblies
• To inform design optimization
strategies of IR heater assemblies
Objective of this R&D tool
• Heater assembly
• Schmidt-Boelter Type Gage
The measurement concept
Schmidt-Boelter Heat Flux Sensor
How does one measure
IR heat flux and how
does one map it in 3D
The test facility in prototype form in
• 0-650W (@230V)
• 250mm x 60mm
The Heater Assembly
• 50cm x 50cm 2D
• 5 planes 10 cm apart
• 50cm x 50cm x 50cm
• Data made continuous using high order polynomial regression
• Allows full 3D reconstruction from discrete 2D planes
• Can now perform an array of different calculations
• The 3D IR heat flux mapping concept works
• Further work to be done with heater arrays
• A Tool to provide significant advancement to Infrared Heatwork
• Founding Tool for Ceramicx Centre for Infrared Innovation and
and More Development and Research in Pipeline