1. Ruth has gone out to ask for the right to gather grain that the harvesters miss. Leviticus 19 9-10 By God's grace, she arrived at a field belonging to Boaz, A near kinsman to Naomi through her husband. September 19, 2010
2. 5 Then said Boaz unto his servant that was set over the reapers, Whose damsel is this? She caught his eye : Perhaps because she was a stranger Maybe because she was working steadily Possibly because she was pretty . God's Providence
3. 6 And the servant that was set over the reapers answered and said, It is the Moabitish damsel that came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab: 7 And she said, I pray you, let me glean and gather after the reapers among the sheaves: so she came, and hath continued even from the morning until now, that she tarried a little in the house. Not only her identity , but also her character traits . Humility and Diligence The servant gave a full report:
4. 8-9 So Boaz said to Ruth, "My daughter, listen to me. Don't go and glean in another field and don't go away from here. Stay here with my servant girls. Watch the field where the men are harvesting, and follow along after the girls. I have told the men not to touch you. And whenever you are thirsty, go and get a drink from the water jars the men have filled." (NIV) Generosity ! Boaz knew that Naomi was close kin, but he didn't have to care.
5. 10 Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said unto him, Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger? Stranger = foreigner Boaz had heard Ruth's story, and he liked what he had heard.
6. 11 And Boaz answered and said unto her, It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother-in-law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore. Selflessness Generosity Courage
7. 12 The Lord recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the Lord God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust . Because Ruth had come to trust in the Lord God of Israel. Our GOD or god is whatever we trust in for life and blessing.
8. 13 "May I continue to find favor in your eyes, my lord," she said. "You have given me comfort and have spoken kindly to your servant -- though I do not have the standing of one of your servant girls." (NIV) They had a job; Ruth was a beggar. Ruth recognized her station in life and was grateful for the generosity of Boaz. She did not take it for granted , as so many people do today.
9. (NIV) 14 At mealtime Boaz said to her, "Come over here. Have some bread and dip it in the wine vinegar." When she sat down with the harvesters, he offered her some roasted grain. She ate all she wanted and had some left over. She would take some home to Mother-in-law. Probably that was the very reason that Boaz had given her so much.
10. God gives us an abundance , that we might have to give to others. 2 Corinthians 8 12-15 For if there be first a willing mind , it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not. For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: But by an equality, that now at this time your abun-dance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality: As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.
11. 1 Timothy 6 17-19 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life. (NIV)
12. God doesn't give us an abundance that we may heap it upon our own lusts. God doesn't give us an abundance that we may hoard it beyond expectation of need. We need to honestly answer the question, "How much is enough?" Those who have a heart to give will always have an abundance out of which to give.
13. 15 And when she was risen up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men, saying, Let her glean even among the sheaves, and reproach her not: 16 And let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them , that she may glean them , and rebuke her not. Ruth's selflessness and generosity to Naomi are being rewarded in abundance . That's just how God is .
14. 17 So she gleaned in the field until even, and beat out that she had gleaned: and it was about an ephah of barley. After she threshed the grain, she had about half a bushel, or about thirty pounds. Bible Knowledge Commentary A productive day , thanks to God's blessings, and the generosity of one of God's servants.
15. 18 And she took it up, and went into the city: and her mother-in-law saw what she had gleaned: and she brought forth, and gave to her that she had reserved after she was sufficed. She brought home for Naomi, not only what she had gleaned , But also her leftovers from dinner. She kept nothing back for herself alone.
16. 19 And her mother-in-law said unto her, Where hast thou gleaned today? and where wroughtest thou? blessed be he that did take knowledge of thee . And she shewed her mother-in-law with whom she had wrought, and said, The man's name with whom I wrought today is Boaz. 20 And Naomi said unto her daughter-in-law, Blessed be he of the Lord, Who hath not left off His kindness to the living and to the dead. And Naomi said unto her, The man is near of kin unto us, one of our next kinsmen.
17. Naomi recognized and acknowledged the Hand of God. It was God's blessing upon them, through the kindness of Boaz. Every good thing comes from God.
18. Matthew 6 31-33 NIV So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your Heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first His Kingdom and His Righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Psalms 100 4 Enter into His gates with thanks-giving, and into His courts with praise: be thankful unto Him, and bless His Name.