How does your school
work a network?
How does it NOT
work like a network?
Benefits of Strong Networks
More efficient use of staff time
Regenerative, constant flow
Responsive & generous
Focus on people and community
Cultivate appreciation for “host”
Expand community of supporters
NETWORK EVOLUTION PATTERN
Communities often evolve along predictable pathways from fragmented clusters of people
interested in a concept, to a single hub-and-spoke when a leader pulls the clusters together,
to multiple hubs where a variety of people take responsibility, and finally to a
core/periphery with a tight ball of members surrounded by interested hangers on.
KNOW THE NETWORK
Listen – in person and online
Who are influencers?
What is important to them?
What are common interests, needs or themes?
Where are existing relationships?
Where are they gathering?
Who is not yet involved?
• Spend 20 minutes a day
observing your network.
• Spend 10 minutes a day
cultivating new relationships.
• Use an organized contact
management system to manage
relationships, not just keep
• Deliver two to three times as
much value as you ask from your
network. This keeps people eager
to be helpful when the time
comes that you need them.
KNIT & ORGANIZE THE NETWORK
• Create spaces for weaving the network
• Find the “glue” that helps people engage
and find value
• Celebrate the bright spots in the network
• Engage more people in the knitting process
• Find your role in knitting – what does the
network need from you?
June Holley’s Definition: A Network
Weaver is someone who is aware of
the networks around them and
explicitly works to make them healthier
(more inclusive, bridging divides).
Network Weavers do this by
connecting people strategically where
there’s potential for mutual benefit,
helping people identify their passions,
and serving as a catalyst for selforganizing groups.
As A Network Weaver
You help people see opportunities
They collaborate on a project
You coach and support
You help them notice what works
You encourage them to spread the
patterns of success and scale
• You help deepen the quality of
• Your help people learn to work in
Grow The Network
• Share leadership to promote sustainability and leverage
• Design for engagement. What approaches will be social by
• Scheduled or had your first coaching call!
• Logging in to Basecamp
• Be sure to download the Social Media
Decision Guide and complete worksheets
• If your school has Social Media Guidelines,
please post it to Basecamp
• If you haven't already, please JDS Academy