2. H2o- Water• A water molecule is made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom
3. Water is the most important inorganic biological molecule. It is essential for life. Water is the most universal solvent. It has a high speciﬁc heat.It is made up of polar molecules that can conduct electricity.
4. RP- Retrograde Pyelogram• A type of x-ray used for diagnostic purposes. Dye is inserted through the urethra to outline the urinary bladder, ureters, and renal pelvis• Usually done in conjunction with cystoscopy• Used to determine the presence of stones, tumors, and other obstructions.
6. UC- Urine Culture• Lab test of urine for bacterial infection (urinary tract infection).• Bacteria is grown on a culture medium so that it can be identiﬁed.• Antibiotic treatment is then determined.
7. UTI- Urinary Tract Infection• Infection of any organ of the urinary system• Often caused by bacterial infection such as E. coli• More common in women due to a shorter urethra
8. Prevention of UTI’s• Drink plenty of ﬂuids- cranberry juice is recommended• Wipe from front to back• Avoid wearing tight jeans and other clothing that constricts the urogenital area
9. cath-Catheterization• Insertion of a ﬂexible tube through the urethra into the urinary bladder to remove urine or add dye
10. Reasons for Catheterization• To withdraw sterile urinary specimens for lab analysis• When precise monitoring of urine output is required• When a patient has difﬁculty urinating• For diagnostic procedures, dye is inserted