NOKIA• As approximately one in three phones in use is a Nokia phone, it’s safe to say that Nokia products influence the lives of hundreds of millions of people
The first Nokia century began with Fredrik Idestamspaper mill on the banks of the Nokianvirta riverbetween 1865 and 1967.Nokia started by making paper – the originalcommunications technology.
History of Nokia• 1865: When Fredrik Idestam built a wood pulp mill , in southern Finland. A few years later, he built a second mill by the Nokianvirta river – the place that gave Nokia its name. Idestam named his company Nokia Ab in 1871 Nokia Ab added electricity generation to its business
• 1912: Finnish Cable Works founded Arvid Wickström starts Finnish Cable Works, the foundation of Nokias cable and electronics businesses.• 1967: The merger Nokia Ab, Finnish Rubber Works and Finnish Cable works formally merge to create Nokia Corporation.
Nokia Corporation• Nokia Ab• Finnish Cable Works• Finnish Rubber Works
• 1968-1991 : The move to mobile The newly formed Nokia Corporation was ideally positioned for a pioneering role in the early evolution of mobile communications. As European telecommunications markets were deregulated and mobile networks became global, Nokia led the way with some iconic products...
• 1979: Mobira Oy, Early Phone Maker Radio telephone company Mobira Oy begins life as a joint venture between Nokia and leading Finnish television maker Salora.• 1982: Nokia makes its first digital telephone switch.
• 1984: Mobira Talkman launched.• 1987: Nokia launches the Mobira Cityman, the first handheld NMT (Nordisk Mobile Telephony) phone.• 1991: GSM – a new mobile standard opens up Nokia equipment is used to make the world’s first GSM call
• 1992-1999 : MOBILE REVOLUTION Nokia decided to focus on its telecommunications business. This was probably the most important strategic decision in its history.• As adoption of the GSM standard grew, Nokia was the head of the mobile telephone industry’s global boom – and made it the world leader before the end of the decade...
Nokia’s core business now was:• Manufacturing mobile phones• Manufacturing telecommunications systems
• 1992: Nokia launches its first GSM handset, the Nokia 1011• 1994: Nokia Tune is launched Nokia launches the 2100, the first phoneto feature the Nokia Tune.• 1994: The world’s first satellite call is made, using a Nokia GSM handset.• 1997: Snake – a classic mobile game The Nokia 6110 is the first phone to feature Nokia’s Snake game.
• 2002: First 3G phone Nokia launches its first 3G phone, the Nokia 6650.• 2003: Nokia launches the N-Gage Mobile gaming goes multiplayer with the N-Gage.• 2005: The Nokia N series is born Nokia introduces the next generation of multimedia devices, the Nokia Nseries• 2006: Nokia and Siemens announce plans for Nokia Siemens Networks.• 2007 Nokia recognized as 5th most valued brand in the world. Nokia Siemens Networks commences operations.
• 2008: Nokias net sales were EUR 50.7 billion and operating profit was EUR 5.0 billion. At the end of 2008, it employed more than 128,445 people; had production facilities for mobile devices and network infrastructure around the world; sales in more than 150 countries; and a global network of sales, customer service and other operational units.