What is he worriedabout?• Coming up with ideas• Researching ideas• Creating Product• Improving Product• Interacting with customers• Making business deals• Creating content
• True or False?• Since your time is free, you can save a lotof money/overhead by doing mosteverything yourself.Your Biggest Obstacleto Success.
• Myth: Since your time is free, you can savea lot of money/overhead by doing mosteverything yourself.• Fact: Your time is probably your biggestexpense, therefore, anything you *do not*do yourself will likely save you money.Your Biggest Obstacleto Success.
• What if you have a day job?• What if you don’t have any income?• In December 2010, I got a call from severalrecruiters• The job was not in San Francisco or Portland• It was three miles away.• I wasn’t available. . .What is your time trulyworth?
So... do you need anoffice building andsome venture capital?
What if you’re just a guy ina corner office with a view?
College Educated, English Speaking,Industrious people are *anxious* towork for you for $2.50 an hour.Meh?Is this spam?
After the InstallGetting ConversionsGetting ConversionsLeadLead(has tried product)(has tried product)LeadLead(has tried product)(has tried product)CustomerCustomer(paid for something)(paid for something)CustomerCustomer(paid for something)(paid for something)Loyal CustomerLoyal Customer(repeat sales)(repeat sales)Loyal CustomerLoyal Customer(repeat sales)(repeat sales)AdvocateAdvocate(reccommends product)(reccommends product)AdvocateAdvocate(reccommends product)(reccommends product)
After the Install• How good your app is finally matters!• There are often a number of things thatyou want your user to accomplish• The good news: You can finally track it!
Conversions Matter• What do you want your user to do?• Monetary:• Buy your paid app• Buy some in app purchases• Other actions (often precede)• Register• Signup for newsletter / network• Complete a level of a game• Complete first document• Use it often (especially for ad supported)
How Good is yourApp?• How can you measure it?• Not just number of features• How fast can they learn to do what theywant to do - without reading documents?• Help and documentation• Interaction with the developer• Best measure = conversions
Homework: Draw PostInstall Funnel• Determine what actions you most wantyour users to complete (usually monetary)• Determine what steps they generally taketo get there
Homework: InstallAnalytics• If you understand conversions and thefunnel, you understand the why of analytics• Install Google Analytics• Makes your app into a website and actionsinto pages or events
Homework: InstallAnalytics• How do you know what is most importantto track?• You already decided that• Very important: Use ecommerce to assignmonetary values, wherever possible
What can you do withall the information.• There are lots of things - see Google’sConversion University
Beyond the MarketSearchSearchMarketMarketSearchSearchMarketMarketBrowseBrowseMarketMarketBrowseBrowseMarketMarketList ofList ofAppsAppsList ofList ofAppsAppsAppAppListingListingAppAppListingListingSearchSearchInternetInternetSearchSearchInternetInternetYourYourWebsiteWebsiteYourYourWebsiteWebsiteBrowseBrowseInternetInternetBrowseBrowseInternetInternetSomeSomeOtherOtherWebsiteWebsiteSomeSomeOtherOtherWebsiteWebsiteAdAdCampaignCampaignAdAdCampaignCampaignInstallInstallInstallInstallGoogle PlayGoogle PlayGoogle PlayGoogle Play
Traffic from Yourwebsite• Can come from search engine• Can be tracked much easier (can measure theprospects better)• Do NOT keep this traffic at your site• Have a BIG OBVIOUS BUTTON that will godirectly to the market listing• Do not use a wimpy little hyperlink• Do not say “Search the market for . . . “
Your button• Create link at• https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/• https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap.backcountrynavigator.license&referrer=utm_source%3DWebsite%26utm_medium%3DLink%26utm_term%3Dtopo%2520maps%26utm_campaign%3DAnDevCon• You can set campaign, source, to whatever youwant.• This will track in Google Analytics.
Some other website•Should still tag your urls - ifyou can•Guest article•Social Media•Review blogs•etc
Paid advertisement• Represents a great opportunity• Definitely use a tagged url• Don’t do it unless you will track it all theway through to Return on Investment• Plan to waste as little money as possible
Paid advertisementtypes• Pay Per Impression• Pay Per Click - Adwords, Admob, ...• Pay Per Install - Flurry AppCircle,Everbadge, TapJoy, AppBrain• Ideally you want Pay Per Action - only payfor conversions• You can compute Pay Per Action if youtrack well enough
Paid Advertising - ROITextDrop the losers and keep the winners
What can you learnfrom advertising?• Test keyword phrases• Test Calls to Action• Find the perfect message for your first line• Homework: run some ads to find out moreabout your market
• For the small businessman, usually meansoutsourcing• Is it easier to:• Get a contract from a spec and getcompetitive bids? (ie elance,Odesk,etc)• Hire a part time freelancer? (ieOdesk,etc)• OR• Hire someone fulltime?Hiring People
• Article Writing• Link Building• Tech support• Help Guides• Android development• Tools and server programming• QA and testingWhat could you hiresomeone to do?
• You want to look for vector graphics• Everyone in the Philippines takes Photoshop in college; look forIllustrator, others• Other skills: video production, 3D, css• They can learn• Android icon standards• Patch 9 files• Prototype layouts• Have them send you an email report each day• Pay them via Paypal mass payExample: graphicsperson
Other Places to hire• ODesk• Elance• Freelancer.com• guru.com• RentACode• VWorker.com
Keep in Mind• Don’t go out and hire a bunch of people atonce - try one at a time.• Remember Mythical Man Month• Exchange multiple communications backand forth when hiring• Consider a test task - fixed price job withopen ended time limit.
• Have a weekly email newsletter.• Subscribe users of your app• Can use autoresponders• MailChimp exampleHow can you engagethe right people?
• New features you just put out• Response to comments in the Market• News and topics of interest for your target customer• Ask users to take action:• Leave a comment in the Market• Respond to an important survey• See and comment on your YouTube Video• Like your fan page on Facebook• Etc.• It also serves as a reminder to buy.What can you cover ina weekly newsletter?
• 5000 support requests in a year• 10 mins for each one• 20 engineering weeks• No time to work on any new apps once you have 2.5apps• 5000 support requests in a yearHow does a helpdeskmake you money?
• The most common question:• “I got a new phone / rebuilt my old one. How do Iget my app back?”• Can you:• Have a page about a common task – with pictures• Send the ten most common answers in theautoresponse• Have macros that answer those common questionsand insert links to those pages.What can you do witha helpdesk?
Attainable: The TopTen"To rank on the first page of Google, youmust replace a page that’s currently there."Market Samurai
• Mentions the phrase (ie Android Topo Maps)• In the url• In the <title> tag• In the <meta Description> tag• In an <h1> tag• In the first sentence• In the first sentence of the last paragraph• 2-3 times in between the first and last parag• Has about 250-750 words (ave 500).• That’s all!An Optimized Page ..
• The most creative part of internetmarketing• The best links:• Have keywords in the link (anchor text)• Are from “important” websites• Are from relevant websites• Have trafficGetting links