Google & Your Business: Planning for
Today, Tomorrow and 2016
Alex Karei & Lindsey LaMair
February 5, 2016
Marketing & Communications
Digital Marketing & SEO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
The methods used to boost the ranking or frequency of a
website in results returned by a search engine, in an
effort to maximize user traffic to the site.
When someone Googles your industry, service, business, or product where
do you land in the search results?
Why Should You Care About SEO?
• Search is constantly changing.
• Google updates its algorithms 500-
600 times per year.
• If your competitors are easier to find
via search then customers will go to
them over you- especially local
• Higher rankings instill trust in your
potential customers and mean more
traffic to your site.
An algorithm is a procedure or formula for solving a problem. For Google, this is
constantly updated to better serve you in your daily quest for answers.
Panda – focusing on high quality, original content
Penguin – filtering out spammy sites
Hummingbird – making search faster and more accurate
“Mobilegeddon” – favoring mobile-friendly sites in search results
In Case You Were Afraid to Ask …
SEO Doesn’t Have to Be All or Nothing
As a marketer, Google’s No. 1 philosophy should be your No. 1 philosophy:
“Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
Sorry, Bing and Yahoo.
• Google has been in the game since 1999. Bing started in 2005 and Yahoo
shares the Bing search algorithm.
• They have 5x the market share and 5x the data to build their algorithm.
• Search is their main focus; their products come second.
• As of October 2015, 89% of the world used Google for search.
What does a #1 ranking mean? You get 32.5% of traffic
while your competitors get 17.6%.
Google Result Page Rank Average Traffic Share
Why Should You Care About SEO for Marketing?
• If you think about SEO while you’re implementing
your marketing campaign, you can optimize
content so Google indexes it correctly.
• The market share you gain from being in the top
three Google results is priceless.
• Someday your boss will ask why you’re not on the
front page…and you should probably have thought
about how to fix it.
Things You Can Do Today
• Install Google Analytics
& Search Console.
• If you already have it installed, make
sure it’s recording correctly.
• Claim and verify your
“Google My Business” page.
Did you know …
you can actually
Google+ … More Annoying Than Political Ads
• This isn’t just a social media channel…
• Make sure your Google My Business page
reflects your brand; your presence here is
important for people to digitally find you.
• Update company descriptions, photos,
videos, and tours – even if you aren’t
consistently posting to your page.
Things You Can Do Tomorrow
Review all content on your site.
• Identify pain points and make a plan.
• Think about user’s goals.
• Make sure to think about hidden content.
• Examine your SEO, usability, and brand voice.
• Get rid of any duplicate content.
• Resubmit your site map.
Did you know …
blogs can lead
No, I Didn’t Say “Black Cat SEO.”
Black hat SEO is defined as using
aggressive SEO strategies or tactics
that only focus on search engines
and not users.
This can be any technique that violates
the search engine’s terms of service.
Things You Can Do in 2016
• Update your content.
• Optimize your website.
• Hire an SEO consultant.
• Research new trends.
• Adjust your marketing plan.