1. DIALYSIS UNIT Presented by :- Dr.Amandeep Singh, Roll No. - 14160 MBA Hospital Management
2. DIALYSIS Dialysis ( Greek dialusis ,"διάλυσις", meaning dis solution, dia, meaning thr ough, and lysis, meaning loosening or splitting) is a process for removing waste and excess water from the blood, and is used primarily to provide an artificial replacement for lost kidney function in people with renal failure.
3. TYPES OF DIALYSIS Hemodialysis (ICD-9-CM – 39.95 Other operations in vessels) Peritoneal dialysis (ICD-9-CM – 54.98 in operations in Abdominal regions) Hemofiltration Hemodiafiltration Intestinal dialysis
4. TYPES OF DIALYSIS UNIT An out-of-hospital out-patient dialysis unit that is a licensed facility which provides services on an out-patient basis to persons requiring dialysis on a short-term basis or for a chronic condition or training for home dialysis; or An in-hospital dialysis unit that is a special unit of a licensed hospital designed, equipped and staffed to offer dialysis therapy on an out-patient basis, and to provide training for home dialysis and renal transplantation as appropriate.
5. DIALYSIS UNIT OF ivy hospital, mohali Dialysis unit of IVY Hsopital under the experienced hand of Dr.Raka Kaushal, state of the art facilities, experienced staff and with a capacity of 22 beds is catering to the needs of 60-70 patients per day including local as well as patients from far areas.LOCATION OF DIALYSIS UNIT The dialysis department of IVY Hospital, Mohali is located on 2nd floor, near to the vertical transport and stairs of the hospital. It is well connected to the other wards through vertical transport of the hospital.
6. ORGANIZATION OF DIALYSIS DEPARTMENTOF IVY HOSPITAL Dr.Raka Kaushal MD ,DM Dr.Deepika Bansal B.A.M.S Dr.Upneet Kaur, B.A.M.S TWO More Medical officers recently joined. There are 22 Staff members including technicians and nurses working in dialysis department. All the Medical officers and staff members report to Dr.Raka Kaushal.
7. DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS Outpatients have convenient access to the Dialysis unit from parking areas and public transportation. Inpatients have a secluded access which accommodates the passage of bariatric size patient transport devices. There is 4’-0” (1.22m) minimum clearance between beds. Dialysis patients are highly sensitive to and adversely affected by unsteady ranges of temperature, pressure, and humidity. Environmental systems are provided for stable, consistent conditions.
8. FUNCTIONAL DIAGRAM
9. ARCHITECTS PLAN FOR ASTAND-ALONE HD UNIT Black dots Electricity outlets Green dot : Oxygen outlet Yellow dot: Vacuum outlet Blue dot: treated water inlet Ash dot: drainage outlet
10. SERVICES OFFERED Haemodialysis Plasmapheresis Peritoneal Dialysis including CAPD Kidney Biopsy Jugular/subclavian/femoral catheter insertion for vascular access
11. FACILITIES AT DIALYSIS UNIT Reception Waiting area close to reception Consultation room of Dr.Raka kaushal (Nephrologist) and Dr.Avinash Srivastva (Urologist) Changing room for the staff Nursing station inside the dialysis unit 22 dialysis machines, attached beds Staff facilities Storage facilities for supplies Patient and toilets Television for the entertainment of patients while they get dialyzed
13. IVY DIALYSIS UNIT FEATURES State of the art 22 bedded dialysis unit with latest generation haemodialysis machines. RO Water for better safety of patients. Continuous monitoring of patients with fully computerized monitors during dialysis to prevent complications. Disinfection of machines after every shift, fumigated weekly, cultures are sent every week. Separate facility for Seropositive and negative patients. Highly (BLS,ACLS) trained dialysis technicians and nursing staff Round the clock dialysis facility for emergency
14. REVERSE OSMOSIS AND DIALYSIS UNITS Water purity for dialysis is of critical importance for patient health and outcome. Three major points to consider: 1) Haemodialysis (HD) patients exposed to more than 400 L of water per week. 2) The stomach acid and intestinal barrier protect from the ills of contaminated water more effectively than the barrier imposed by the dialyzer membrane. 3) The functioning kidney further protect the normal individual from the contaminants of water by eliminating these, this protection being absent for HD patient.
15. REVERSE OSMOSIS CONTD… To make water healthier and relatively pure, water authorities often add fluoride, aluminium, chlorine, and chloramines. This makes water unsafe for HD use, as these chemicals have been known to accumulate in dialysis patients leading to significant morbidity and mortality. Reverse Osmosis - Removes almost all dissolved ions Removes almost all organisms and fragments Uses large quantities of water Life of membrane depends on quality of water
16. WATER TREATMENT Dialysis water treatment implies various levels of pre- treatment and a final purification module prior to distribution of purified water through a hydraulic circuit.1. Deionization (DI) Water: Water which has been treated to remove contaminants. This system removes most mineral deposits, but microbial contaminants may remain.2. Feed Water: The untreated, potable water available throughout the facility through its water supply system.
17. WATER TREATMENT CONTD.. 3. Permeate Water : Fully treated purified water, stored in a tank, which is used in the preparation of dialysate. 4. Pre-treated Water : Partially treated water, sometimes available as feed water, which has had substantial reduction of mineral and/or microbial particles. 5. Reverse Osmosis (RO) Water: Usually the final purification module in the treatment system, RO- based treatment modules produce water of optimal chemical and microbial quality.
18. DIALYSIS CENTERS IN MOHALI ANDCHANDIGARH AMAR Hospital, Mohali IVY Hospital, Mohlai FORTIS Hospital, Mohali Surya kidney center, Mohali Arvind Dialysis Center,Chandigarh Landmark Hospital, Chandigarh Inscol Hospital, Chandigarh Guru Harkrishan charitable hospital, Sohana, Mohali Oxford Hospital, Chandigarh Dharam Hospital, Chandigarh National Dialysis Center, Chandigarh PGIMER Chandigarh GMCH, Chandigarh