Manthan Topic- Walk To Equality: Ensuring Safety And
Empowerment Of Women
Team Name: Vibrant Youth 2013
• NITISH KUMAR RAI
• RAHUL KUMAR
• TUSHAR SRIVASTAV
• SHUBHAM SRIVASTAVA
• VARUN SINGHAL
India talks of Women Empowerment and Equality
but still the condition of women is pathetic………..
A. Increasing rate of crimes against women
> Incidents of rape, acid attack, dowry death have increased in recent years
B. Low literacy rate
> Female literacy rate in India is even less than 50 %(43.2%)
C. Lack of awareness
> Most women don’t know their rights and the schemes being run for them
D. Lower participation of women in policy & decision making
> Representation of women in Parliament ,Legislatures and other government
> Less voice in households and in societal decision making
> Women perform nearly 2/3rd of the work however they earn only 1/3rd of the
F. Gender Inequality
> Low status of women in the society is the outcome of our patriarchal system
which is in force by traditions
Addressing the problem of increasing rate
of crimes against women
Crimes & their proposed solutions:
• The criminal should be punished on the basis of sensitivity of the
crime and not the age of the criminal
• FIR can be lodged in any police station irrespective of the place
of the crime
• Speedy justice to be ensured
• Victims to be given all essential treatments free of cost
• Distribution and sale of acid be strictly regulated
• Schools and Colleges to monitor the use and storage of acids and
other chemicals in their labs
• Both giving and receiving of Dowry should be punishable
• Provision for imposition of monetary fine and rigorous
imprisonment for the accused
of Women at
• Every organization/company must have
Complaints Redressal Committee having a
woman as its head. It must have atleast 50%
• Every employer should make anti-harrasment
policy and provide anti-harrasment training to
• Doctors carrying out sex determination must
be prosecuted and their degree must be
•Parents indulged in female foeticide must be
forced to undergo vasectomy or tubectomy
• Special anti-trafficking units should be
constituted at district, state and central level
640 Fast track courts (1 in each district) to be set up to deal with cases of violence
against women. These courts to conduct the trials on daily basis
These courts to report directly to the special unit of High Courts
Compensation of atleast Rs. 3 Lakh to be paid to each victim of rape and acid
attack by the concerned state government or union territory .This compensation
would be for the after care and rehabilitation of the victim
Creation of special women cell in every police station
Establish anti-trafficking units in every district
Creation of the post of special woman magistrates in every district. This magistrate
will be the head of women cell/units of the district. Special woman magistrate will
report directly to Women Affairs Ministry of the state government
Creation of single database management system for
1. keeping the district wise data of missing/kidnapped girls and the list of all the
crimes against women
2. keeping the track record of all the criminals
Provide compensation to the dependents of the victims
Employers to be made accountable for any sexual harrasment of women at
Provide minimum financial assistance of Rs. 10 Lac to the dependents of rape and
acid attack victims
Special dedicated team to help the victims
Easier to lodge the complaints
It will be easier to trace the criminals with
the help of centrally managed single
Time gap between the lodging of FIR and
delivery of judgment will be reduced
It will provide financial aid to the victims for
their post operative treatment and
Victims of sexual harassment at work place
will be able to get a better platform for
redressal of grievances
Dependents of rape and acid attack victims
will get much needed financial help.
Problems In Empowerment of Women
• Low literacy rate : Around 35% females in India are illiterate
1. Lack of awareness about the importance of education
2. Due to poverty
3. Patriarchal system
1. Make education free for girls who’s parents income is upto Rs. 3 lacs p.a.
2. Provide counseling to the girls and their parents about the importance of education
• Lack of Awareness : Most women are unaware of the welfare schemes run by the
2. Non availability of means of communication such as Radio, Newspapers, T.V.
3. Lack of development in far-off areas such as North-Eastern region
1. Awareness can be created through ads in electronic and print media, radio and
2. Satellite communication system should be established in those villages where
means of communication are not available.
3. Radio and newspaper facility should be provided at each Gram Panchayat center.
• Lack of participation of women in policy and decision making :
Women have less say in households and societal decision making
1. Women earn only 1/3rd of the remuneration.
2. Perception of having lack of income generation capacity.
3. Lesser representation of women in Parliament and State Legislature.
1. Provide adequate vocational training to women to increase their income
2. Provide 30% reservation for women in Parliament and State Legislature.
•Poverty : Poverty is one of the major reason for dropouts of girls from schools
1. Unequal access to economic opportunities
2. The labour force participation rate of women in rural areas is only 20.8 and 12.8 in urban
3. Traditional perception of having lack of income generation capacity
1. Provide equal wages to women for equal work in comparison to men
2. Work done by housewives must not be neglected
3. They should be given ownership and control over productive assets.
• Gender Inequality: The women are stilled discriminated and their status in society is
1. Patriarchal system.
2. No respect of women not only in society but also in houses.
1. Gender sensitization should be carried out.
2. Include gender studies in curriculum.
• National Legal Research Desk
• Chandigarh High Court Judgement in Swatika
Negi acid attack case
• Kurukshetra magazine
• Census of India-2011
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.