Smoking and the use of
Walton County Public Schools
Did You Know
• Tobacco use is the number one
preventable cause of premature death in
the state of Georgia, and number three in
• Currently, 23% of adult Georgians smoke.
• 9% of middle school students and 19% of
high school students smoke cigarettes.
• In addition 5% of middle school and 7% of
high school students use smokeless
• Smokeless tobacco is a significant health
risk and is not a safe substitute for
smoking cigarettes. Smokeless tobacco
itself contains 28 cancer causing agents
and teens who use it are more likely to
become cigarette smokers.
• Smoking and the use of tobacco products shall
be prohibited at any time in any school or
building or property owned or leased by the
school district, excluding designated areas at
organized school activities, or at any time in any
school owned vehicle, including school buses.
• Practice Fields are school property.
• Supervisors who look the other way while
employees violate this rule will be held as
accountable as that person who is breaking the
• In addition, smoking or the use of other tobacco
products by employees is prohibited at any time
such employees are directly instructing or
• This means field trips, overnight camps and
• Direct supervision includes coaching, band,
directing, acting as a sponsor or advisor of a
club or similar school organization and other
• Employees shall not store or possess
tobacco or tobacco related products on
their person or in their belongings in such
a manner that such products are visible to
• Be Responsible.
• School district employees who violate this
policy may be subject to appropriate
disciplinary action, including reprimand,
suspension with or without pay, or
• Students who violate this policy may be
subject to disciplinary action in
accordance with the student conduct code
and the student/parent handbook.