Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Increase Quality Attendance at Your Next Show

429 views

Published on

Hear from attendee marketing veterans on what's working in content marketing, turning attendees into fans and other trends to increase quality attendance at your next event. This presentation was provided at IAEE Expo! Expo! 2014.

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Increase Quality Attendance at Your Next Show

  1. 1. Increase Quality Attendance at Your Next Show Strategies from Attendee Acquisition Roundtables & Exhibit Surveys Data
  2. 2. Moderated By: • Sam Lippman, President, Lippman Connects Panelists: • Joe Federbush, VP – Sales and Marketing, Exhibit Surveys • Leana Salamah, Senior Director – Convention Marketing, Communications & Programming, National Restaurant Association
  3. 3. Agenda • Introduction • Marriage of Marketing and Programming • Segmented Marketing as a Trend • Content Marketing • Integrated Marketing • Best Take-Aways from AAR
  4. 4. Attendee Promotion Spending Overview   Average Range % Change  Yr to Yr  Attendee Promotion Spending $380,000 $5K- $3.2M +10% Promotion Spending per Attendee $30.70 $2.68 - $88.64 +3% Percent of Total Event Direct Costs  Represented by Attendee Promotion 13% 2% - 41% +3% Source: Attendee Acquisition Metrics and Practices Study (Winter 2014)
  5. 5. Marriage of Marketing and Programming • Evolution from programming to marketing • 47% of marketing departments involved in content (AAR On- site Polling 2013) • Know what attendees want and deliver targeted education and exhibitors • Why it makes sense
  6. 6. Targeted/Segmented Marketing Increases Attendance • Personalize the experience • Beyond demographics - Adding persona/psychographics
  7. 7. Content Marketing • Another instance of programming and marketing synergy • We’re already content developers for our events; the new charge is to do that all year long • Requires an “Editor in Chief” – this may be a full-time position or part time
  8. 8. Content Marketing What Works • Fun pieces – “National Pickle Day” • Curated content on a common topic • Guest articles from industry experts What Doesn’t Work • Selling within content • Charging for content
  9. 9. Social Media in Content Marketing 15% 38% 51% 63% 66% Measures of Success Twitter Followers (8), registration (2) Facebook Likes (9), registration (3) LinkedIn Group members (3), registration (3), Followers (2) YouTube Views (11) Other Use blogs (2),Flickr, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, online community, show app; measure with views, clicks Newer Marketers* are more likely to use LinkedIn (63%) Source: Attendee Acquisition Metrics and Practices Study (Winter 2014)
  10. 10. Matchmaking For Exhibitors For Attendees 15% 19% 25% 38% 35% 29% 20% 9% 5% 5% Very effective Somewhat Effective Undecided Not Very Effective Not at All Effective 33% have added a match- making/scheduling program to connect attendees and exhibitors Source: Attendee Acquisition Metrics and Practices Study (Winter 2014)
  11. 11. Integrated Marketing
  12. 12. Integrated Marketing
  13. 13. Best Marketing Take-Aways from AAR • Digital remarketing • Turn first-timers into fans • "Reasons to Attend" prominently displayed on home page • Leverage exhibitors’ competitive spirit
  14. 14. Questions? For more information, contact: Joe Federbush joe@exhibitsurveys.com Sam Lippman sam@lippmanconnects.com Leana Salamah lsalamah@restaurant.org

×