Be the first to like this
RPA Automation brings efficiency and effectiveness for the repeatable business processes by introducing ecosystem of Human and Robots (Co-HuBoTs) which achieves operational efficiency and better customer experience. RPA implementation can be attended where humans are required or unattended where no human intervention is required, and it can use AI/ML and cognitive features to complete the tasks.
Testing RPA implementations could be challenging as its not just about testing the automation of functional aspects but also technical implementation of these Bots. The technical implementation is not limited to just automation scripting but also extends to rules engine, Algorithms, effectiveness of cognitive features. The testing approach should address each step in the RPA journey right from requirement gathering till deployment & live proving, and should address below challenges, but not restricted: -
• Assuring RPA efficiency which introduces new level of quality, productivity and accuracy improvement
• Adherence to regulatory and compliance policies and not altering data ‘on its own’
• Ensuring data integrity across heterogenous systems and applications
• Guaranteeing security of sensitive data that is being consumed & transferred
• Exception handling to have robust and strong recovery mechanism
Approach provides information required to establish a successful Testing ability for Robotics implementation and ensures above challenges are met by detailing: -
- What focus areas need to be tested?
- How to validate & verify identified focus areas?
- When it should be executed & measured?
This holy trinity of What, How and When needs to be continuously fed with the patterns and learning data to make it more effective. This insight driven testing approach which not only provides focus areas but also optimise the testing effort as well as prioritise the testing assets. These actionable insights will help early defect identification and avoiding failures
My idea also includes a testing framework which is tool agnostic and can be seamlessly integrated to consume data from any tool (e.g. ALM tools, Test Data) as well as provide actional insights to the testing tools to drive action. This framework can be consumed by any testing tool of choice for functional, automation and NFR testing of Robotics solution.