Thanks DamionWelcme to WAWWho’s new?Who’s heard of Snowplow?
To really understand why Snowplow is important, you need to know why the founders developed it.It’s a fantastic tool that gives you the flexibility to do stuff other businesses can only dream of doing.
Looking at aggregated metrics sampling can be OK, but when you start looking at the long tail, things start getting messy.
With the move towards universal analytics, Analytics wants us to track anything and everything in GA – but some things just don’t seem to fit. As I’ll show you with snowplow
Using big data tools like Map Reduce, Hadoop, Redshift and Amazon S3Together these can support the largest analytics deployments out there.
You get access to the raw logs if you wantAnd the data is so easy to connect to your existing data sets! Being SQL based, anyone can query it using standard languages and whatnot.
A taste of Snowplow Analytics data
A TASTE OF SNOWPLOW ANALYTICS
by Rob Kingston
• Problems with analytics vendors today
• Introducing Snowplow Analytics
• Live demo
• Getting started with it
THERE ARE LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH WEB
… AND THEY PREVENT US FROM DELIVERING VALUABLE INSIGHTS THAT COULD GIVE OUR
BUSINESSES A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE
SOMETIMES COMPLEX EVENTS DON’T FIT INTO OUR TOOLS
Pageviews Events Ecommerce
WHEN WE START GENERATING SERIOUS TRAFFIC WE’RE
SOMETIMES FORCED TO CAP OURSELVES
• … unless you go GA Premium or Site Catalyst.
BUSINESS RULES CHANGED: NEED TO REPROCESS DATA?
Change to IP
old logs with
AND WHEN DATA IS PROCESSED, YOU CAN’T VALIDATE IT OR
CHECK THAT IT’S OK
• “Hmmm… what’s this spike in organic traffic?”
Well… it’s not organic traffic.
It should have been classified as referral
ONCE THE DATA IS ‘IN’ IT’S HARD TO GET OUT AND COMBINE
WITH OTHER SOURCES
• Use the Analytics API or Ask Adobe for your logs…
• Only 7 dimensions and 7 metrics at a time
Web Analytics data
Other business data
FOR HIGHER-VALUE BESPOKE ANALYSES YOU NEED TO HACK
TOGETHER API QUERIES
AN OPEN SOURCE WEB ANALYTICS PLATFORM
• Developed by Alexander Dean & Yali Sassoon since the start of 2012
• Their core users collect lots of data (billions of events)
BUILT TO SCALE. SERIOUSLY.
• Can theoretically handle hundreds of millions of events per day
MODULAR DESIGN SO YOU CAN CHOP AND CHANGE
COMPONENTS THAT BEST SUIT YOUR BUSINESS
YOUR ANALYTICS DATA IN YOUR DATA WAREHOUSE
Data Web Analytics data
STRUCTURED + UNSTRUCTURED DATA
(GEEK SPEAK FOR REALLY FLEXIBLE DATA COLLECTION)
HERE ARE JUST A FEW EXAMPLES OF THE COOL THINGS IT
ENABLES OUT OF THE BOX
• Scroll reach heatmapping
• Total value by user, purchase latency
• Tracking split tests with enormous
samples (no example, but very much
possible to do)
EXCELLENT DOCUMENTATION AND AN AWESOMELY HELPFUL
• Technical guides for advanced implementations
• Setup guide to get started
• Google Group for questions support and blue sky thinking
PLAYS NICELY WITH GOOGLE ANALYTICS, TAG MANAGER
AND YOUR OTHER SCRIPTS
KEY SNOWPLOW TAKEAWAYS
1. Enables high-value bespoke analytics difficult to do in GA/Other vendors
2. Can be customized for many types of businesses
3. Free, open source and excellent community support
4. You own your data – and you never need to worry about sampling
5. Perfect accompaniment to a Google Analytics Standard account