Individual learning in biology and science presentation
• Thursday 10.8.2017 for primary and
lower secondary school teachers (grades
• Reykjavik, Iceland
• Rita Keskitalo and Þóra Skúladóttir
Subject areas and topics of this workshop
• biology and science
• new curriculum and 21st century skills / six pillars
• individual/personalized learning
• ICT as a tool of learning
• students’ own phones, tablets and laptops (BYOD) as a tools
• social media as an environment of learning and teaching
• biology and geography teacher
at a secondary school in
Finland, Salo, Perniön
Timetable of workshop
• Introductions and warming up
• Individual learning in biology in Perniön yhteiskoulu
10.30 -11.00 am
• Lunch ?
• Activities in outdoors
• Individual learning in practice, teachers as a students
• Time to plan own courses or lessons
What is individual learning? What is your
experience about it?
• Answer in Padlet. (QR-code to Padlet.)
During this workshop you can write your thoughts, ideas and
questions to Todaysmeet. (QR-code to Todaysmeet.)
10 steps for individual learning in biology
• I recognize different species.
• I can explain the classification of
• I can explain how different living beings
have adopted to their environment. I can
• I show effort and take responsibility of my
• I am able to use ICT as a tool of learning.
• I can make photo collage of organisms.
In this workshop
• I know the new curriculum and it’s 21st century
skills / six pillars.
• I know what is individual learning means.
• I have new ideas for my lessons.
• I am able to use ICT as a tool of teaching and
• I have ideas how students can use their own
phones, tablets and laptops (BYOD) as tools of
• I have ideas how teachers and students can use
social media as an environment of learning and
• I share my thoughts and ideas with other.
8 steps for learning
(instructions to students)
1. Get inspired.
2. Check out the goals.
5. Act, mix and match.
6. Discuss and share.
7. Reflect, evaluate and get feedback.
8. Give feedback.
Read more in Thinglink.
Benefits of individual learning
• Learning and teaching is more active and collaborative.
• Students learn to learn and use ICT as a tool of learning.
• Students can learn at their own pace and at their own way.
• Students can choose the activities which they are interested in.
• Students can influence the amount of home works.
• Students’ different knowledge and skills can be taken account.
Differentiation is easier.
• Students are better aware of goals of learning and they will learn to self-
evaluate their learning.
• Assessment is definitely diverse. No traditional exams.
• For teacher, it is interesting to design the entities with diverse content,
learning methods, tools and learning environments.
Disadvantages of individual learning
• For student, it takes time to learn the steps of individual
• Competent and hard-working students may get tired.
• Non-motivated students may do anything.
• For teacher, it takes time to design entities for a first time.
• Sometimes there is too little time to evaluation discussions.
• Coaching, assisting and struggling with non-motivated students,
teacher may get tired and angry.
Break Activity in outdoors
We make collaboratively a digital collage of organism into Instagram.
1. Go out and take 2-3 photos about species which live in school yard or near it. You have
10 minutes time for that.
2. Download photos to Instagram. Use hashtags #digitalcollageISL17 #icelandicorganism
#icelandicnatur. Write down name of the organisms and classificate them as you can.
3. Find out all the species with #digitalcollageISL217. Like and comment.
4. Find my 7th grade students’ collages:
_eliot7a_, seiskojeneliot, meidan_eliot, eliot_7 and elioita7b.
These are another way to make digital collage into Instagram.
Hands on! Individual learning in practice
• Work with peers.
• Choose one Ocean Activity.
• Write it on the wall. Do not choose the same activity than others.
• Carry out the activity as a student.
• At 12 – 13.30 pm
• Ask help and help others.
• Prepare to show your work to other within 5 minutes.
• At 13.30 – 14.30 pm
• Tell about the application used in the activity, it’s benefits and
disadvantages, new ideas raised during working etc.