Social Media ResearchUsing online communities and web listening to create a social media research strategy
Our Purpose isto be the leading digital market researchspecialist by connecting market researchexpertise to state of the art technology.We are passionate about innovation and in bringingconsumer conversations to organisations, helpingclients understand how they can better serve customerneeds enabling business success through betterinsights based on science and data analysis expertise.
Active Web ListeningHarvesting conversations from the internet and analysing sentiment
Business Applications of Web ListeningIncrease engagement that leads to Sales Understand mindsets New product development Rebrand or reposition Shape and sharpen messaging Address public issues Improve existing products Manage reputation Discover new customers Provide customer care Invite customers to join online communities Increase loyalty and customer value 7
A Drill Down Example from Banking (5 drill-down “avenues”) Level 1. Top 8 features Feature Ranking for banking Level 2. Brands within Feature Brand ranking Within Customer Care Level 3. By Source HSBC Within Customer Care By source
The Drill Down cont. Level 4. Sentiment Sentiment for HSBC’s of brand within Customer Care on feature on specific Uswitch.com source All Negative Comments Level 5. List of on Uswitch.com for Posts HSBC’s Customer Care Level 6. The negative post of Individual Post Katquin82 On Uswitch From 27/01/10 read by 98 people
POC Activities & Engagement Tools (in any language) 1. Online Chat Groups/ 2. IDIs/pairs & triads 3. Bulletin Polling Boards Active Web Listening 6. Video Clip Evaluation 4. Online Ethnography 5. Online Stimuli Evaluation100-500 Members in a Community: your extended marketing team for Co-creation
1. Online Chat Groups • [Wed 28 Apr 2010 04:09:04 AM EDT] P it was in a business meeting, just thought he could qualify and talked about them. Participants (5) • [Wed 28 Apr 2010 04:09:07 AM EDT] C when I was their client • [Wed 28 Apr 2010 04:09:33 AM EDT] A: It happened in one of our bank visits at the London Branch”The moderator can be seen and heard The participants type their answers The questions will also be shown visually
2. Online in-depth Interviews, pairs or triads • Interview duration 30-60 minutes, all use audio and video • web cam and computer microphones & speakers or headsets used • Visuals can be shown, or simply the questions asked • A whiteboard can be used
3. Forum/Bulletin Board DiscussionAsynchronous techniqueCan last 1-2 weeks Is moderatedCan be Consumer drivenUnbiased associationsStimuli evaluationParticipants can uploadphotos15-25 participants This approach gives the opportunity to participants to respond when convenient. It also gives them the opportunity to discuss and interact among themselves.
4. Online Ethnography - Video/Photo DiariesWith the help of web-cams or mobile devices Video Diaries areused to collect observational information combined withcommentary from the research subjectsIt is faster, cheaper and better (less obtrusive) than traditionalethnographyBased on social anthropology techniques, ethnography involvesobserving participants in their natural settings combining thefindings with other data gathering methodsWe utilize web technologies to take Ethnography to the nextlevelIdeal for deep consumer insights and consumer driven productinnovation
4. Online Ethnography - Global Trend Hunters• 5-10 young trendy opinion leaders per country o Early adopter mindset o Visionaries o Creating or Riding trends• Based in Capital city possibly plus one major city• Use smartphone or other camera to record video and take photos• Upload something from their daily lives every week on a custom platform• Further interaction with online community possible
5. Online Stimuli Evaluation Comment Box Community members can highlight areas on images in red for negative and green for positive and enter comments.
6. Video Clip EvaluationCommunity members can and post comments about specific parts of the video clip .