6. Unreal Engine’s Early Days
• AAA was the standard target
• Best for high end PC and console production
• Not for web, mobile or VR (they didn’t exist)
• Made for shooters
7. Today’s Unreal Engine
• Multi-platform – PC, console, web, VR/AR, mobile and
• Multi-genre framework and free sample content and
templates to get you started from your first use.
• Easy to learn and easy to master.
• Customizable and flexible with source code.
• Free and custom licensing options with no per seat
license fees for games.
• An enterprise leader with companies in automotive,
entertainment, architectural visualization and more.
8. UE4 is a Complete Toolset
• Unreal comes complete with everything you need to
build and ship.
• You can build without paying for additional plug-ins or
extras; but you can customize as needed.
• Built in:
• Editors for UI, materials, animations, particles
• Scripting system, state machines
• Starter content
• Much, much more!
10. Blueprints – Visual Scripting in UE4
• Allows coders to deal with big issues and artists to
implement their visions
• Unifies all sub-systems with one common visual
• Blueprints can be “nativized”; converted to C++
and machine code for best performance
• Robo Recall was made almost entirely with
11. The Magic of UE4 and C++
• C++ is integrated with the Unreal
• Classes created in C++ can be sub-
classed and/or instantiated in the
• Artists and designers can extend in
Blueprints, which will auto convert to
• Code at a high level: UE4 handles the
hard stuff and removes many of the
pain points of C++.
23. Full Source Code – Free of Charge
• Distributed via GitHub for free
licensees and via Perforce for
• GitHub branch synchs every 20
minutes, so it is up to date.
• Keep your modifications to source
or issue a pull request to Epic.
• Epic will vet the changes and
publish them to all UE4 developers
(and even put your name in the
24. It’s Free to Develop on UE4
• Sign the EULA and download
UE4 to get started.
• Community based support
• Additional code available for
PS4, Xbox One and Switch for
• You pay nothing until you
start making money.
25. Custom Licensing is Also Available
• Meant for serious developers that will ship games.
• More in depth support.
• UDN gives you answers quickly from the engineers that
made the features you have questions about.
• Allows for more flexibility on royalties.