Conventions of Radio news
I am going to be talking about all the
conventions of radio news.
Regular time checks/Interviews with
people concerned with the stories
• Radio news have regular time checks because most
people that are listening to it are going work or on the
car going some where so they would talk about the
traffic and have headlines about the today issues, they
would use formal language when they talk about the
headlines and news with serious voice.
• Interviews with people that are concerned would
usually come up when there's hot topic, they would
ask someone to talk about the situation and have
interview with them, which helps the listeners
understand different peoples views of the situation.
Headline/formal language, serious
• Its important to have formal language while your on air
because you would have so many listeners of all ages
specially people going work because its going to be
morning, so you would have to have serious voice
introduce all the headlines then talk about the hot
topics that are out and talk formal, so people can
• Headlines are very important because people like to
know all the things that’s happen right the minute so
after the radio news say all the headlines, they would
get in more details on each headline.
Weather reports/ sports news
• Weather reports are important because most
people that are listening to the radio news are going
work or school, so its important that the radio news
reports the weather so people know what to expect
when they go outside.
• Sports news are reported because some people are
at work or not able to watch the football match, so
they would turn on the radio, and they would
inform them about the scores, that’s one example,
so many people listen out for sports updates.
readers expand the story/Name
• News readers expand on the stories because
they want people to understand the whole
story since is radio and the listeners have to
really listen carefully to understand
everything, so they expand and get on details
with the story.
• When a radio news channel starts they would
introduce them self then talk about their
Sound to introduce/identify the news
for all the additional info
• They have sound to introduce the news, different radio
station have different sounds, this grabs your attention
so you would listen when you her the music.
• Archival sound- is inserted in to the radio news, because
this will be more realistic to the listeners, they will have
live interviews hear everything that’s happening in that
• If the radio news have extra information that reporters
have the will put them on live and speak about the
situation that’s happening.
• Form: Radio news bulletin
• · Structure: Headlines, news reports, sport,
• · Content: Current affairs
• · Technical conventions: Codes and conventions
• · Mode of address: Formal, serious, informative
(Commercial radio news or Radio One news a
bit less formal) Tries to be objective