• built in 1825
• 700 employees
• 40+ branches
• 300.000 customers
• most successful sparkasse in germany
• 3 mio € every year for the neighborhood
• we combine digital and face-to-face
… meanwhile the
• ﬁntechs like paypal, n26
• GAFA > banking
• customers stayed away
• cash > pay with card,
• get money in supermarkets
• new laws > european union
„We have to move!“ Frank Berg,
Vorstandsvorsitzender OstseeSparkasse Rostock
Leave our past behind. What if the OSPA knew what it knows.
IBM Connections > OSPA Connect
„Let´s share our knowledge!“
A fool with a tool is still a fool.
The shift of Communication
How to change the culture?
Explain individual purpose!
What we did
• let the ceo say: it `s good and we need it
• drive transformation with change agents: the connectors
• each one teach one: talk about use cases (communitys)
• content: create easy to use content (video)
• community management: develop the social intranet
• celebrate success stories
• develop the digital competence (skillset, toolset, mindset)
Questions we had
- How do we deal with fear?
- How do we invest time and do our jobs?
- How do we excite people to try new things?
- How do we use the digital workplace to collaborate?
what we learned
• every unit communicates independently (insurance, real
estate, stock exchange, hr, marketing, …)
• transparency requires brave users
• monitoring helps to plan new actions
• there are early adopter and digital deniers
• social collaboration is no question of age
• the role of the management changes > digital leader
• projects: OSPA quiz app (#gamiﬁcation) + digital licence
OSPA Connect as a daily tool
• the board blog and the news are most viewed
• ﬁlesharing as the ﬁrst accepted area
• mobile use > app for tablet, phone
• soft content > weather, new colleagues, birthdays, sport groups, after work parties
Challenges for the future
• change agents: recruit new + coach the others
• digital leadership: discuss what is digital (>create)
• optimize usability (main page too much?)
• implement a culture of experiments (#FailFast)
• innovation: create new ideas
• have fun
Everything we do today
is the ﬁrst time we do it!