Evolution of games
Presented By:- Arka Ganguly
Roll no.:- 26101003
Massively multi-player onlin
(flight, military, space, city-b
Future of Gaming:
Characteristics of the Game Platform
of the Future
Arouse all 5 senses
Game developers will eventually capitalize on
hear, taste and smell
Instead of hearing the sound of an explosion and seeing its
effects, a future gamer will feel the shock waves as well
developed iSmell device:
utilize the sense of smell in future games
Computer moderated, persistent environments through
and with which multiple individuals may interact
• Often an illusion that encourages the acceptance of
familiar concepts such as place, inhabitant and object
• Allow characters within virtual worlds to buy and sell
• More people accept an illusion, the more real it becomes
Pitfalls of Virtual Property
Extremes that Gamers Go
To: The Common Ones
• Online Auctions
• Earning through gaming
– By selling their virtual game assets
• Magical swords and shields
– E.g. Maple story
• Websites/blogs/fan art sites
• Online game forums
• Purchasing Game Books
• Researching game tips/hacks
• Gold Farming
Hall of Fame:
Top 5 Most Addictive Games
• 5: Mildly Addictive
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
• 4: Highly Addictive
• 3: Scarily Addictive
Championship Manager 2006
• 2: Seriously Addictive
• 1: Life-Threateningly Addictive
World of Warcraft
Usefulness of Gaming
According to Janet H. Murray of M.I.T. , “Games, like active learning
and education, teach.”
People learn more and retain that knowledge longer over time.
Makes lessons interesting.
Build a bigger social network.
Use of simulations to help us model activities and interactions.
What is Sandbox Game?
It is open-ended
– Does not have a specific, predefined ending, or set of endings.
It is a mode of game play within a game that is more often played in
a goal-directed manner.
Users are free to explore.
Users can play in whichever way they like.
Features of Sandbox Game:
Never Ending game play.
Freedom to experiment.
Non-linear or nonexistence plot.
Some Examples of Sandbox
• The Sims
• Sleeping Dogs
• Civilization series
• Grand Theft Auto series
Why people play game?
• Enjoyable, stimulating and provides decent
• Games are powerful with their stories, action,
graphical features, sound effects and
• Escape from stress and gruesome reality
• Do the impossible
• Do things beyond their imagination
• New level of excitement when people
compete with each other
Why are games addictive?
• Games are not addictive, it’s the gamers
who gets addicted (just like drugs)
• People play too much, therefore they get
• People cannot get out of the need to play
• People cannot control themselves,
Symptoms of Addiction
Real Case Scenario :
• Benjamin Toh – active in school until
addiction to “Maple Story”.
• Spent hours playing, neglected studies, had
to stay back in Sec 3.
• Rushed home from school to lock himself in
room to play until midnight.
• Over 10 hrs a day, taking only toilet or food
Withdrawal from social activity
Not doing homework / worsening grades
Restlessness when away from computer
Irritability & annoyance when unable to
- Errant behavior (e.g. Lying, truancy)
- Playing longer than intended (>30