SILK CAN BE:
• Electro spun
• Freeze dried
• Gamma Radiated
• Solid material
• 3 D constructs
• Natural proteïne polym
• Strong extensible, flexible,though
• Soluble in water
• Abundant and cheap
• Extremely versatile
Membranes and Meshes
• Easy of processing and scaled up to an industrial
• Morphologically resemble the natural fibrous
• Large specific surface area and tunable porosity
• Purified water based procedure
CONTROLLED SCALABLE PRODUCTION
NOVIOSPIN’S ELECTROSPUN FIBROUS
GTRM: LAUNCHING PRODUCT
DENTAL GUIDED TISSUE MEMBRANE
GTR MEMBRANE AS LAUNCHING PRODUCT
• Strong demand for a solution in the dental market
• Large, worldwide growing market
• EU market 70 million, 260.000 membranes, growth 7% a year
• Relatively low cost and low technical demands in CE certification process
• Time to market is less than 4 years
• Good exit opportunity in selling the concept to dental business partners
• The NovioSpin silk-fibrion based membranes ticks all boxes
• New biomaterial, no comparable product currently in the market
• Green production, pure water based
• Non mammal-material
• Proven well accepted
• No cell proliferation inhibitory substances in degradation
• Bio degradable, steerable in time window
These USP’s apply for dental as well as surgical indications
NOVIOSPIN’S UNIQUE SELLING POINTS
NOVIOSPIN FUTURE MARKETS
Surgery Gyneacology Dentistry
Herniation is a defect in the abdominal wall caused either by a congenital weakness or a defect/weakness as a result of
abdominal surgery. Prevalence NL: 30.000 a year for congenital herniation. 15.000 a year for post abdominal surgery (15%
of total PAS).
Interesting development : due to the high prevalence of herniation after abdominal surgery a large study was initiated in
2009 . Goal: Feasebility and cost effectiveness of preventive implant of meshes in abdominal surgery. Results: feasible
and good cost effectiveness
Pelvic floor reinforcement. 1800 procedures a year in NL. Known to cause serious adverse effects:
- Bowl and or bladder perforation.
Absorbable, degradable meshes are preferable but yield a poorer result with the current available biomaterials.
Silk fibroin has promising bio-physical properties for this indication.
The global hernia mesh devices market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.0% from 2015 to 2020 to
reach a market size of USD 3.73 Billion by 2020.
According to information available from hospital morbidity database (HMDB), HCUP, and others, it
is estimated that around 10.9 million hernia repair surgeries were performed globally in 2014, and
this number is projected to reach ~12 million by 2020, increasing at a compound annual growth rate
of 1.8% from 2015 to 2020.
Inguinal hernia is the most common type and constituted 55.8% of the total number of hernia
surgeries in 2014, followed by incisional/ventral hernia repair surgeries at 17.2%. Femoral hernia
occurs very rarely and accounted for just 1.5% of the total hernia repair surgeries in 2014.