Successfully reported this slideshow.
You’ve unlocked unlimited downloads on SlideShare!
Translating Open Agricultural Research to Local & World languages for Ethiopian Farmers to Promote Citizen Science - Solomon Mekonnen - OpenCon 2017
Project on: Translating open
agricultural research to local and
world language for Ethiopian
farmers to promote citizen science
DOAJ Ambassador and Addis Ababa
• Agriculture is the backbone of Ethiopian economy contributing
● 41.4% of GDP, 83.9% of the total export, and 80% of employment
in the country
• Small scale farmers produce 94% of the food crops which is
related to food security.
• These farmers practice farming by employing traditional
technology, adopting a low input and low output production .
Picture credit to ILRI
HOW CAN WE EMPOWER FARMERS
WITH OPEN SCIENCE ?
• Translating open research outputs in
agriculture into local and world language
to be understandable by farmers.
• Making openly available the translations
to the farmers and the public at large.
• Participating them in data collection and
analysis to increase their participation as
• Help the farmers in applying the scientific
research outputs in their farming to
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROJECT
• Improves productivity as farmers will
easily apply scientific findings in their
• Improves the quality of the Agricultural
research as farmers will involve actively
in the research.
• Increase the impact of the research.
• Improvement in productivity will ensure
food security and also impact in economic
Jun. 14, 2018
Jan. 27, 2018
This presentation by Solomon Mekonnen was a lightning project presentation for OpenCon 2017.