• What do we mean by ‘leadership capacity’?
Leadership capacity comprises attitudes, skills
behaviours, personal maturity, a degree of
integrity, a certain drive for achievement all
working in combination to exercise leadership
given the opportunity to do so.
Leadership as Action
• leadership emerges when someone does
something that makes an impact
• capturing and cultivating certain actions
• Shift from leadership as a function of
personhood, to the role of the leader as a
function of action.
• Courage to act
• Meaning: how can the leader make sense and
clarity out of multiple messages and priorities?
• Value: how can the leader value the uniqueness
and potential of those around them, and create
an atmosphere of positive engagement and
• Structure: how can the leader create security,
structure and order in a changing and confusing
• Directive: the leader makes decisions on
behalf of the group
• Co-operative: the leader and group work
together to make decisions
• Autonomous: the leader and group are
autonomous and the group makes its own
decisions, resourced or advised by the leader
Domains and Modes
Attention – which needs my
Actions – what are you going to do next?
Questions Directive Cooperative Autonomous
Do I/we know
I We You
Do we have
Do we meet