Blogs 1. Add a blog to your website. If your website is static(e.g., a corporate site or an online store), consider adding a blog to it, where you’ll write newcontent regularly. This will give your visitors a reason to come back, and your search enginetraffic will increase too. If you need a blog software, check out WordPress (it is free and easy touse).2. Leave comments on other blogs. Develop the habit of visiting blogs inside your niche andleaving comments on them. You can include a link to your website on each comment, and somevisitors will certainly come through those links. You can use Alltop to find blogs in any niche.3. Write guest posts. Most blogs accept guest posts. That is, they allow you to write a post forthem, and usually the post carries an author byline with a link to your website. Simply send yourarticle to the blog owner and ask whether or not he wants to publish it as a guest post.4. Sponsor blog contests. Another common practice around the blogosphere are contests. Youcan sponsor one by donating products or money, and the blogger will link to your website fromthe contest page.5. Join a blog carnival. Blog carnivals are online events where bloggers get together to writeabout one specific topic. The host of the carnival will them write a round-up post linking to allthe participant entries, and participants usually link to each others’ entries as well. You canorganize one with your friends, or browse for existing ones at BlogCarnival.com.6. Network, network, network. Ever heard the saying “it is not about what you know, but whoyou know”? It applies to promoting a website as well. If you become a friend with a blogger orwebsite owner, he will be much more likely to link to your website and send traffic your way. Agood way to achieve this is to link to other bloggers first and to establish a relationship via email.Subscribers
7. Publish an RSS feed. Once you publish an RSS feed yourvisitors will be able to subscribe to your website using an RSS reader. After that whenever youpublish new content they will receive it automatically, which is a great way to keep these visitorsengaged with your content and visiting your website regularly.8. Use Feedburner. If you want to get the most out of your RSS feed you should sign-up for aFeedburner account. It is completely free, and you’ll get a wide range of features, includingstatistics about your subscribers, customization options and so on. Feedburner will also makeyour RSS feed compatible with most browsers and RSS readers, so you won’t lose anysubscribers due to technical problems.9. Offer email subscriptions. Many Internet users still don’t use RSS, so offering an emailsubscription to your content is a must. Fortunately it is very easy to do this once you have aFeedburner account. You just need to activate this feature under “Publicize,” and then copy andpaste the subscription link on your website.10. Create an email newsletter. You can take your email subscription option one step furtherand create an email newsletter. This will give you more control regarding the messages you sendto your subscribers. For example, you could create an auto-responder sequence, sending specificmessages at specific time intervals to your new subscribers. You’ll need an email marketingsoftware to manage your newsletter, and you can use Aweber for that (it is a paid solution).Content is King
11. Break a news story. If your website is the first to talk about anews story it will receive many links from other sites who will cover it as well, and your trafficwill increase as a result.12. Write a controversial article. If you manage to write something controversial, people willtalk about and link to your article, either because they agree with you or, most likely, becausethey disagree. The result will be a lot of traffic.13. Write a “Top 10″ list. Internet users love “Top 10″ lists, because they are easy to digest andcontain useful stuff (i.e., 10 resources, 10 tips, and so on).14. Write a “Top 100″ list. If “Top 10″ lists are good for traffic generation, “Top 100″ ones aregreat. This article is an example. People will bookmark and share your “Top 100″ list naturallybecause of the value it packs together.15. Write a “Definitive guide” to something. People love to learn new things, especially if suchthings will solve some of their problems. Make sure to make your guide as complete as possible,and visitors will flock to read it.16. Publish an interview. This strategy works even better if the interviewee has a blog orwebsite, as he might link to the interview and send his readers to your site.17. Leverage holidays and seasonal events. You can drastically increase your traffic if youpublish content related to big holidays and seasonal events. Examples include Christmas,elections, Olympic games, the World Cup and so on.Linkbaits
18. Software & Methods. Mega social Machine is a Software in conjunction with some AmazingMethods that can Get facebook likes,Get twitter followers,Get youtube views, Get Websiteviews ,Help you Make money online. MEGA SOCIAL MACHINE19. Create a ranking of people. For example, publish a ranking with the “50 Hottest FemaleEntrepreneurs.” Such rankings tend to get a lot of traffic because it plays with people’s ego.20. Create a ranking of websites. A similar strategy is to create a ranking of websites, say the“25 Best Weight Loss Blogs.” The owners of the sites mentioned are likely to link to your article(especially if you contact them to let them know about it, thus sending your traffic.21. Publish a funny image. At the end of the day, people just want to have a good laugh.Publishing a funny image is a good way to help them with that, and it might increase your trafficat the same time. Want some inspiration? Check the Pics section on Reddit.22. Create an infographic. If you are creative and like to research, then you should try creatinginfographics, as they tend to attract many links and traffic. Here is a tutorial that will help you tocreate one.Freebies
23. Release an eBook. This is one of the mostefficient ways to generate traffic. Simply write a compelling eBook, and then release it on yourwebsite. Include a direct download link, and email bloggers and webmasters in your niche to letthem know about it. The better the information in your eBook, the more people will share andrecommend it, and the more traffic you’ll gain.24. Create a free CSS template. CSS templates are very popular around the web, and if yousubmit yours to CSS directories many people will end up using it. Include a footer link to yourwebsite and you’ll surely get some traffic.25. Create a free WordPress theme. You can also transform your CSS template into aWordPress theme (or create a new theme from scratch). WordPress is used by millions of users,and many people will download your theme if you submit it to directories (including the OfficialThemes Directory).26. Release a cheat sheet. Cheat sheets are very popular on the web, and if you create one you’llcertainly see a bump in the number of website visits. If you want to see some examples, checkthis article listing 25 useful cheat sheets for web developers.27. Create web design resources. The web design community is one of the most active online,and creating resources for them is a good way to increase your traffic. Examples include iconsets, fonts, textures, Photoshop brushes and the like.Contests
28. Launch a retweet contest. You can launch a contestwhere people need to retweet the contest page in order to get an entry to the random draw. Theprize can be either money or products and services from your sponsors. Depending on the size ofyour prize the retweets could go viral after a while.29. Launch a comment contest. An alternative contest format is to ask people to leave acomment on your contest post in order to get an entry. This will increase your traffic becauseyour RSS and email subscribers will need to visit your website to leave a comment, and it willstimulate them to comment on your posts more often.30. Launch a review contest. If you want to increase your search rankings you could launch acontest where people need to write about the content in order to get an entry. The links you’ll getwill send you both Google juice and new visitors. Keep in mind that you need a good prize tomotivate people to write about your contest though.31. Launch a voting contest. You basically need to create a contest where the winner will bepicked with a voting session. Suppose you have a fitness website. You could invite your readersto submit their best fitness tip, and then a voting session would decide which tip gets the prize.This would motivate participants to link to the voting session and to encourage their friends tovisit your website and vote.32. Launch a traffic contest. If traffic is what you want, why not be direct about it? You canlaunch a contest where people need to send traffic to one particular page inside your website. Itcould be the contest page (for a viral effect) or a resource page (e.g., a page where you give awayan ebook). After the established time frame (e.g., 2 weeks, 1 month or anything else), you’llsimply need to check your web analytics to see which websites sent you more visitors, and thenaward the prizes.Multimedia
33 Experiment with video. As you probably heard, videois huge on the web right now. If you are not experimenting with it yet, you should. If you want todo something simple, just record yourself talking in front of the web cam (obviously what youare talking about should be interesting to your visitors, as opposed to some general rambling).34. Create screencasts. A very efficient way to create compelling videos is to record yourcomputer screen while you perform some task. For instance, you could use it teach other peoplehow to use the computer or how to do things on the Internet. You can use a free software calledCamStudio to create your screencasts.35. Submit your videos to multiple sites. Once you have your videos ready to go, you shouldspread them on as many video websites as possible, and not just on YouTube. Luckily there is asite that can help you do that without spending too much time at it. It is called TubeMogul.com,and it automates much of the submission process for you.36. Launch a podcast. This could be a good traffic generator for one main reason: there isn’tmuch competition out there as far as podcasts go. In other words, as long as you put some effortinto it, your podcast could become the leader inside your niche quite fast. All you need is a USBmicrophone to start recording.37. Release audio interviews. We already mentioned that interviews are good for traffic. Apartfrom text interviews, however, you can also release audio interviews. Skype makes it really easyto record one. You’ll just need to use a software to record your Skype conversation.PowerGramo has a free version that works well.Social Bookmarking Sites
38. Get people to stumble your articles. If you have friendsusing Stumble Upon, ask them to stumble your best articles. This should get the ball rolling, andif other Stumble Upon users like your content it might receive a lot of traffic from it.39. Try to reach Digg’s front page. Reaching Digg‘s front page is quite difficult, but it is wortha try, because once you manage it you’ll receive tens of thousands of visitors. You should startby becoming an active Digg user, trying to make as many friends as possible and to understandthe kind of content that works there. Once you have these two things, get a friend to submit oneof your best stories, and get your network of contacts to vote on it.40. Submit your content to Reddit. If you fail to get success with Digg, try Reddit. It works ina similar way, but it is smaller and has a more friendly community, so your content might dobetter there. Funny stuff, technology and politics are topics particularly suitable for the site.41. Get your visitors to bookmark your articles on Delicious. If you publish many how-toarticles and tutorials, Delicious could be a good traffic generator for your website. Simply add aDelicious icon below your articles, try to get some friends to bookmark your articles as soon asthey get published. If you get enough bookmarks in a short period of time your article might getpromoted to Delicious front page.42. Include social bookmarking icons on your site. You can increase the number of votes andbookmarks you’ll get by including social bookmarking icons on your site. You can use thisgenerator to create the icons automatically and paste the code on your website.43. Try niche social bookmarking sites. The four social bookmarking sites mentioned aboveare the largest ones on the web, but there is also a wide range of smaller, niche focusedbookmarking sites that can send you some traffic. Here is a list with 83 of them. Simply join theones related to your niche and check how much traffic they can send you.Social Networks
44. Create a profile on most social networks. When youcreate a profile on a social network, you are usually able to include the URL of your website.Guess what? This is a link building opportunity, and it might increase your traffic (both becauseof the visitors you’ll get and because of the link juice). Mashable has a list with over 350 socialnetworks, so use that to get started.45. Start using Facebook. If you want to generate social media traffic, you must have apresence on Facebook. The very least you should do is to create an account there and networkwith as many people as possible. After you’ll be able to generate traffic by posting links to yourwebsite on your Facebook stream.46. Create a Facebook fan page. Another great way to leverage Facebook is to create a Fanpage. This is basically a page dedicated to your website, where your visitors can become fans,leave comments and so on. Here is a tutorial to help you create your first Fan page.47. Include a Facebook “Like” button on your site. Facebook recently introduced the “Like”button, which you can embed on your site to let your users share your content through theirFacebook accounts. Getting the button is just a matter of copying and pasting some lines of code.Here is the page where you can get it.48. Start using Twitter. Another must have social network is Twitter. You can create anaccount for yourself, or one for your website directly, where you’ll post updates with links toyour recent posts and related content from around the web.49. Include a Tweetmeme button on your site. By including a Tweetmeme button on yourwebsite you’ll allow your visitors to retweet your posts and pages with a single click, which canincrease the traffic you’ll receive from Twitter.50. Explore niche social networks. You problably won’t get as much traffic from niche socialnetworks as you will from Facebook and Twitter. But you should still give them a shot, becausethe traffic will be much more targeted. Here is a list with 233 social networks divided by niche.Website Optimization
51. Customize your 404 error page. Whether you like itor not people will get 404 errors on your website. Maybe they will misspell your URLs, maybesomeone will link to an inexistent page inside your website, and so on. If you use a normal 404error page, visitors will simply move on to another website. If you customize your 404 error pageto include some useful links, however, you’ll channel these visitors to other parts of your site,thus increasing your traffic.52. Interlink your pages. This strategy will increase your traffic in two ways. First of all it willallow your visitors to explore your website more easily, increasing the number of pages viewsper visit. Secondly, it will also improve your search rankings because your link juice will bedistributed among all pages of your website.53. Highlight your most popular content. People like to know “what is hot” when they arevisiting a website. You can increase the number of page views you’ll get per visitor if youhighlight your popular content and encourage them to read it. The easiest way to achieve this isto create a “Popular Articles” section on your sidebar.54. Test your website in different browsers. If web users can’t visualize your website properlythey’ll just move on to another site. That is why you need to make sure that your site works fineon the most popular browsers. There is an online service called Browsershots.org that can helpyou with that, and it is completely free.55. Speed up your website. There are many research papers confirming that most Internet userswill only wait a couple of seconds for a web page to load. If it doesn’t, they will close it andmove to another website. On top of that search engines also use the loading speed as a rankingfactor, so the faster your site loads, the higher your search rankings. The first thing you should doto improve your loading speed is to remove unnecessary elements from your site and to reducethe size of your images. You can use the Firebug extension for Firefox to perform a moredetailed analysis of your loading speed.56. Serve cached pages. A very efficient way to improve the loading speed of your pages is toserve cached versions to your visitors. This will also reduce the load on your web server, andmake your site more responsive. WordPress users can install a plugin called WP Super Cache toachieve this.57. Get a decent hosting plan. No matter how much your optimize your website, however, itwill still load slowly if your hosting plan is mediocre to begin with. That is why you should stay
away from free and cheap web hosts. Investment $10 per month to get a quality hosting plan is amust.Search Engine Optimization 58. Create unique content. If you want to receivesearch engine traffic and only had time to work on one thing, you should work on creatingunique content for your website. This is what Google and company values most. The moreunique content you have, and the more frequently you publish new stuff, the better.59. Build backlinks. The second most important thing you can do to improve your searchrankings and receive organic traffic is to build backlinks. That is, you need to have as manywebsites linking to you as possible. The higher the quality and relevancy of these links, thebetter. If you have a tech blog, for example, getting a link from TechCrunch or some otherauthoritative tech site would do wonders to your SEO.60. Perform keyword research. Search engines work around keywords, and if you understandthe keywords that people use you can tailor your content to match that. For example, the term“funny pictures” is 15 times more searched than the term “funny images,” so you probablyshould use that in a post title . You can use the Google AdWords Keyword Tool to discover thesearch volume of any keyword.61. Optimize your title tags. The title tag is the title of your pages. It goes inside the<title></title> tags in the header of your HTML code, and it is displayed on top of the browserwhen visiting your page. This is a very important on-page SEO factor. You should make surethat you have a unique title tag on each page of your site, and that your main keywords arepresent there. WordPress users can install the All in One SEO Pack plugin to achieve thisautomatically.62. Build an HTML sitemap. An HTML sitemap is basically a page inside your website linkingto all other pages (and preferably being linked from all other pages too). The HTML sitemaphelps search engines to crawl and index your website, thus increasing your search rankings.63 Use images. Most webmasters forget that Google has a feature called “Image search,” whichis quite popular. This means that by using images inside your pages you can increase the amountof search engine traffic you get. Just make sure to optimize the name of your images withrelevant keywords, and always include an ALT and a TITLE attribute in your image tags. Youcan use the sxc.hu website to find thousands of royalty free images to use on your website.
64. Translate your content. Depending on the topic of your website, translating your pages intoother languages could multiply your search engine traffic. In order to achieve this you need aplugin that will get your translated pages indexed by search engines. WordPress users can useone called Global Translator.Mobile 65. Create a mobile version of your website. As moreand more users start accessing the web through mobile devices, it becomes important to have aversion of your website that works perfectly these new platforms. If you are using WordPressyou can install a plugin called WPTouch to create a mobile version automatically.66. Create an iPhone app for your website. iPhone is arguable the most popular smartphonearound, and most of its users rely heavily on apps to consume their content. If you create aniPhone app to display the content of your website you could both get new readers and allow yourcurrent ones to read your stuff on their iPhones. There is an open source project that will helpyou do this for free.67. Create an Android app for your website. Google’s mobile operating system, calledAndroid, is quickly catching up, so you could create a website app for it as well. You’ll needsome coding knowledge for this though.Online Forums 68. Join online forums and put a link to your websitein your signature. Regardless of the topic of your website, you’ll certainly find dozens ofrelated online forums to join. Most of them allow you to put a link in your signature, and you canuse that to send visitors to your own website. If you need help to find online forums, check Big-Boards.com, as they have a database of thousands of forums divided by categories.
69. Link to your articles from post threads. Apart from putting a link to your website in yoursignature, you can also link to your articles when writing forum posts. For example, if you justwrote a post that is useful to other forum members, you could start a thread letting them knowabout it, and asking for feedback. Just make sure to do this when your article is relevant, else youmight get flagged as a spammer.70. Join the Craigslist forums. If you browse on Craigslist (the most popular classifieds site onthe web) you’ll notice that inside each city there is a “Discussion forums” section. You can writeposts there, and include links to your website whenever relevant to the discussion.71. Consider adding a Forum to your site. Once your website reach a critical mass of users(i.e., 5,000 daily unique visitors or more) you could consider adding a Forum to it. This will giveyour visitors a place to ask questions and contribute content, while increasing your traffic.phpBB is a reliable and free Forum software you can use.Content Hubs 72. Create “lenses” on Squidoo. Each “lens” on Squidoo is anoverview page about a specific topic. Creating lenses is free, and you can include any kind ofinformation on them, including links to your own website.73. Create a “hub” on HubPages. A very similar site is called HubPages. You can create“hubs” about specific topics, and include links to your website there. Just make sure to read thesite guidelines, to make sure your hubs will be published.74. Answer to questions on Yahoo! Answers. Spend some time browsing the questions onYahoo! Answers, and whenever you come across one related to the topic of your site, answer it.You can include a link to your website as an additional resource, or to a specific article insideyour site that answers the question too.75. Answer to questions on LinkedIn. LinkedIn Answers is another platform where you cananswer to questions from other users and include a link to your own website or articles. Keep inmind that topics gravitate around career and business here.Old School
76. Submit your site to web directories. The amount of traffic you’llget from this tactic depends on the quality of the web directories that will accept you. If yousubmit to hundreds of them, however, the traffic might build up. Here is a list with hundreds ofweb directories, organized by Google PageRank.77. Submit your blog to blog directories. If you have a blog, you can also submit to blogdirectories (i.e., web directories that only list blogs). This article lists 50 of them to get youstarted.78. Submit content to article directories. Article marketing is a very common and effectiveway to increase your traffic. You basically need to submit your articles to article directories.Virtually all of them allow you to include a link back to your site, and that is how your trafficwill increase. Here is a list with the 50 most popular article directories on the web.79. Exchange links. The practice of exchanging links is as old as the web, but that is so becauseit works. You just need to be careful to only exchange links with sites that have unique contentand are relevant to your visitors (else Google might get upset).80. Use ad swaps. A similar strategy is to use ad swaps. That is, you use your unused ad space topromote the website of your partner, and he does the same with his unused ad space. The aditself could be anything, from a banner spot to an email message to your newsletter.81. Distribute a press release. Creating and distributing a press release can still send sometraffic to your website, especially if you have something new in your segment. You can paycompanies like PRWeb to do most of the work for you, or you can submit the press releasemanually (here is a list with 50 sites you can submit to).82. Include your website’s URL in your email signature. Email is the most usedcommunication channel these days, and as such you should use it to let your contacts know aboutyour website.Paid Methods
83. Google AdWords. Pay-per-click advertising is one of themost efficient ways to buy traffic for your website, and Google AdWords is the largest adnetwork for that on the web. Creating an account is free, and then you’ll need to bid onkeywords. Depending on your niche it is possible to buy clicks for as low as some pennies.84. Facebook ads. The best alternative to Google AdWords is the Facebook Ads platform.You’ll be able to pay both per click and per 1,000 impressions, and you can also target veryspecific demographics, to make sure the visitors will be interested in your content.85. StumbleUpon ads. If your content performs well on social media you could tryStumbleUpon ads. Your website (or a specific page inside it) will basically be displayed toStumbleUpon users, with a cost of $0.05 per view. If many users vote positively on your contentyou’ll also receive some free traffic.86. Reddit sponsored links. Another social bookmarking site where you can buy ads on isReddit. You’ll basically create a sponsored link that will be featured on the homepage, andReddit users will be able to vote it up or down.87. Purchase banner ads directly. Virtually any website owner is willing to sell banner ads. Ifyou find a website that is closely related to yours, therefore, you could contacts the owner askinghow much he would charge for a banner ad. The return on the investment might be high here,because the visitors that will come will be likely to stick around and become loyal readers ofyour site.88. Purchase banner ads through networks. There are ad networks that might also help youpurchase banner ads, paying a flat monthly fee. BuySellAds.com is a large one with a really biginventory of websites.89. Purchase sponsored reviews. Sometimes sponsored reviews work better for trafficgeneration, because your website will be featured inside a post (i.e., it will be exposed directly tothe readers of the other site). If you want to buy a sponsored review you could either contact thewebsite owner directly, or browse through the marketplace of sites like SponsoredReviews.com(make sure the sponsored links will have the nofollow attribute, else Google might get pissed).Offline Methods
90. Tell your friends and family about your website. Thesefolks are certainly going to be interested in checking your website out, and if you put newcontent there frequently, they might keep coming back.91. Tell your co-workers about your website. This is another group of people that will beinterested in visiting your website at least one. If the content of your website is somewhat relatedto your work this strategy will work even better.92. Include your website’s URL in your business card. If you give business cards awayfrequently, consider including your website’s URL there. Professional contacts might beinterested in visiting it after all.93. Print your website’s URL in some T-shirts. It is very easy and cheap to get custom T-shirtsthese days (just Google it), so getting some with your website’s URL could be a nice way tospread the word about it.94. Create stickers with your website’s URL and spread them around. If you really want togo guerilla, get some stickers with your website’s URL and spread them around. Cars, windows,computers, you name it!95. Put an ad at a local newspaper. Depending on the niche of your website, getting an ad on alocal newspaper could be a good investment. For example, if you have a blog about local newsor events an ad on the local newspaper could definitely bring you some new readers.Out of the box Methods
96. Come up with an April Fools’ prank. The first of Aprilis a very lively day on the Internet, where many companies and webmasters come up with funnypranks. If you come up with a funny or interesting one other website owners might link to your,sending you traffic. You can check TechCrunch’s summary of the 2010 pranks for inspiration.97. Set your website as the homepage on any computer you use. If you apply this tacticconsistently it might actually bring good results. For instance, you could set your website as thehomepage of all computers in your school, work, libraries and so on.98. Navigate to your website on computer stores. This might not bring you a lot of traffic, butit sure is a funny tactic. Whenever you go to a store with computers being showcased, open theweb browser and navigate to your website, so that people passing by will see it.99. List your website for sale. Even if you are not planning to sell it, that is. The interestedbuyers will visit your website to check it out, and that is how you’ll increase your traffic. If youlist your site on popular marketplaces, like Flippa.com, you might actually get thousand ofvisitors (and possible some good offers!).100. Fake a hacker attack. The community of bloggers and webmasters gets in turmoil everytime a website or blog gets hacked. If you fake such an attack (i.e., by putting a weird message inyour homepage) you’ll certainly receive many backlinks and a bump in traffic. People might getpissed if they find out it was a prank, though101. Create a quiz. People love quizzes, and if you create an interesting one your traffic mightincrease as visitors both take the quiz and share the results with their friends. You can useProProfs.com to create your quiz.