Why this software ?
How do we ﬁnd them ?
How do we choose ?
Why do we adopt them ?
Trends or fashion ?
Euca, Openstack, CloudStack, Kubernetes, Lambda
“OMG Lambda is killing it, people are going
to skip containers and go straight to
serverless …and forget about your cloud…”
GAFA R&D ~ State Budget
2015 data, now ~$100B/y
• Perceived increased pace of software innovation
• R&D budgets of corporations is greater than state
• Not a “brain drain”, but a “corporate drain"
• Is that a problem ? Another keynote/openspace ?
• Expectations that the workforce can keep up with all
these new technologies is unrealistic
Open Source Now
• Every vendor is doing OSS
• OSS conferences very vendor driven (except DoD and
• Explosions of tools because we all share (good)
• Software go viral thanks to social media echo chambers
• Business model for OSS startup is harder
• Big corp can cannibalize you
• Work as a self-organizing team
• Empathy between dev and ops, no silos
• Deliver value early and continuously
• Solve customer’s problems
Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
Working software over comprehensive documentation
Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
Responding to change over following a plan
•Not here to build cool software
•Not here to be hip
•Here to provide solutions
…while having fun…
•Does not mean ADOPT
•Means: develop a culture of
Not only with the business but
also with the industry/tools
• Image provenance and content
• Image size
• Image security
• Tooling (e.g Docker machine, Docker Swarm…)
• Who builds your images ?
• How are they monitored ?
• Where are the logs ?