What is Value Stream Mapping?
Planning tool to optimize results of eliminating waste
More Efficient VSMs
• Always collect current-state information while walking the actual
pathways of material and information flows yourself
• Begin with a quick walk along the entire door-to-door value
• Begin at the shipping end and work upstream
• Do not rely on standard times or information that you do not
• If your team is not involved in some sort of continuous
improvement, be worried.
• If your team is not working on a continuous delivery pipeline, be
• Practice of using domestic canaries to detect carbon monoxide
in coal mines.
• Or---rolling out a release to a small number of users
• Problems may only show up in a prod environment
• Canarying can allow early detection
More Efficient Release Engineering
• Don’t make release engineering an afterthought
• Ensure release engineers understand the intention of how the
code should be built and deployed. Don’t build and “throw” the
• Dev, SREs, and release engineering should work together
• Automate error-prone steps.
• Use source control (duh).
• Be patient, this discipline is still evolving.
How does it all work together?
• Understand architecture – system and components
• Test each part thoroughly
• Test ways of working together
• Component integration
• Test how it all comes together
This is how parts become a camera.
• Test the non-functional
• Test 3rd party interactions
• Test early
• Build-in quality
Test Automation Framework Design Criteria
More Efficient Test Automation
• Centralize coordination of test scheduling, execution, and
• Have test case platform that allow testing to be customized at
runtime (“develop once, use everywhere”)
• Uniform reporting (results can be quickly and accurately
Change and release management become federated and
Check out code
Unit testing Quality control
Deploy to test
Deploy to pre-
Change Advisory Board (CAB)
Pipeline with CAB Feedback Loop
More Efficient Change Management
of change to
quality, and risk
Automate capture of
change records with
Single source of truth
for ALL changes
for risk and