• “Peace is not merely the absence of war but
the presence of justice, of law, of order--in
short, of government.” -Albert Einstein
• “Peace begins with a smile.” - Mother Teresa
What is PEACE?
• Peace is a state of harmony characterized by the lack of
violence, conflict behaviors and the freedom from fear
• Commonly understood as the absence
of hostility, peace also suggests the existence of
healthy or newly healed interpersonal or international
relationships, prosperity in matters of social or
economic welfare, the establishment of equality, and a
working political order that serves the true interests of
What is CONFLICT?
• There are recognized opposing interests
between parties in a zero-sum situation;
• There must be a belief by each side that the
other one is or will act against them;
• This belief is likely to be justified by actions
• Conflict is a process, having developed from
their past interactions;
Conflict in the Philippines (local)
1. Social conflict*
2. Political conflict
3. Economical conflict
4. Religious conflict
Cause and Effect Worldwide
1. What is happening?
2. What are the causes and
3. Who are affected?
1. How is the Philippines affected in this global
Conflict in Basilan: The conflict of the Philippine
army and MNLF-MILF
Cause of the conflict?
Who are affected?
How does the conflict affect us globally?
***How is it being resolved?
Philippines vs MNLF
• The Philippines is an island nation of some 86 million people, the majority of whom
are Catholics. Since the 1970s, the Government has been faced with a Muslim
minority fighting for an independant Moro Nation in the Southern Island of Mindanao.
The 1996 Peace Agreement between the Manila Government and the Moro National
Liberation Front (MNLF) led to a relative lull in hostilities, but failed to satisfy popular
expectations. The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), today the country's largest
Muslim rebel group broke from the MNLF and was implicated in clashes with the
government. However since 2003, there have been signs of a breakthrough in
relations between Manilla and the MILF, while at the same time the MILF have made
statements about renouncing terrorism (see Non State Armed Groups Section). On
October 2012 the government has signed a framework peace plan with the Moro
Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
• Other Muslim separatists, such as the Abu Sayyaf group, have a history of armed
violence. The Mindanao island is also the site of clashes between the Government
and Maoist insurgents, mainly represented by the New People's Army, the military
wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines. In 2007, the Government enacted the
Human Security Act in order to confront the rebels. These different conflicts have led
to the displacement of about 120,000 people in Mindanao.
• On October 2012 the government has signed a framework peace plan with the Moro
Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
Dates to remember:
July 1 (Monday) Research
July 4 (Thursday) Research
July 5 (Friday) Research + Report (Last 2 students)
July 8 (Monday) Report:
July 11 (Thursday) pair 6
July 12 (Friday) pair 11
Guidelines for the report:
• It’s a PAIRED work so share responsibilities.
• Creative reporting
• 5-8 minutes per report
• Site sources
• Research on recent conflicts (2000+)
• No laptops on the table during the report days