INSECT AND MITE PESTS
UP COUNTRY LIVE WOOD TERMITE
• Scientific name
: postelectrotermes militaris
: pest (insect/mite)
• Common names : up country live wood termite
• Host plants
: Tea ( camellia sinensis )
• Eggs are minute and kidney shape.
• Eggs hatch within few days
• Nymphs are able to produce majority of colony
• These workers do maintance ,feeding young's
and cleaning .
• No further development in worker termites.
• Some of the nymphs converted to
• These supplementary reproductors able to
produce eggs by parthenogenesis.
• Some of these nymphs convert in to a stage
called Brachyopterous nymps.
• These nymphs only have wing pads.
• Some convert into Alates .
• They have wings.
• Usually occur in up country tea plantations. Up country
confined to Maskeliya, Nuwaraeliya.
• Elevation is above 900m
• Usually remain as colonies. Single colony usually
confined into a single tea bush.
• Single colony consist of large number of individuals
• These adult termites enter into the tea bush through
• When the colony reach maximum stage they migrate
from one tea bush to another tea bush via root
• Up country live wood termite gains entry into
the tea plants through the roots and construct
galleries within the woody tissues of the roots
collar and the finally branches
• When branches are affected prune cuts made at the
time of pruning would show cavities filled with fecal
matter and occasionally the termites as well.
• During the period of moisture stress one or two
branches on a bush may also show signs of wilting. Since
such wilting caused for reasons other than termite
• Several branches tend to break off from the collar
• All infested plants and roots
removed and burn.