Ein Communications is one of the nation’s top boutique public relations firms. We distinguish ourselves by providing clients with services that are thoughtful, proactive and results oriented – an approach that has been the hallmark of our firm since its inception more than 25 years ago. 1221 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. Suite 500 Washington, D.C. 20036 202.775.0200 Implementing Social Media In February 2009 An Overview of Tools, Trends and Best Practices By Jeff Ingram, VP of Ein Communications
The State of Social Media in February 2009 Organizations communicating via social media tools becoming established/expected Early adopters of new tools still rewarded with “novelty” bonus by traditional media Users feeling overwhelmed with breadth of social media tools Myth: “If you build it, they will come.” Reality: They will come if you make them feel smarter , make them feel empowered , make them feel heard or make them feel entertained. (hint: do all four)
Blogging Micro-Blogging Social Networking Crowdsourcing Content Sharing Web Applications Key Tools of the Trade
- Hundreds of millions of people are connecting with each other in online communities focused around their personal lives, professional lives and special interests.
- Facebook is now the number one social networking platform and has released capabilities that allow any website to connect to their platform.
- “White Label Social Network” vendors are selling off-the-shelf social networking platforms to organizations. Many developers, including Google, are pushing for an open platform (not Facebook’s) so that all of these disparate communities can eventually connect to one another and so that individuals do not need to maintain multiple community accounts.
- New tools are being launched to increase the effectiveness of online collaboration, including one geared towards public policy:
- Biggest risk is getting no answer or getting the wrong answer – it sometimes rewards the most organized, not necessarily the most supported (e.g. Obama’s Citizen’s Briefing Book voted Marijuana legalization as the top priority for the new administration).
- Crowdsourcing is an emerging trend and organizations that utilize it will be rewarded with first-mover publicity.