Making reference to works of others using MLA style
- 1 .Provide the author's name and the page in text or a (in-text or parenthetical citation) in the report itself.
- 2 . Provide a full citation in a separate Works Cited page.
Task 1 in text citation Provide (author's name and the page) at end of sentence containing reference, or allow the narrative to indicate source (signal phrase )
- Adam Smith describes labor as the most important factor in producing wealth in a nation (134).
- End of sentence (Tan 119). book
Task 1 in text citation cont’d If there is no author, use title. Title is placed in parentheses in same format it is cited in Work cited page.
Task 2 Provide a full citation in alphabetical order on Works Cited page
- Bell, Steven. "Welcome to the Keeping Up Web Site." Steven Bell's Keeping Up Web Site . 3 Jan 2006. 26 Jan 2006. <http://staff.philau.edu/bells/keepup/>.
- Ogden, Michael. "Marshall Islands." World Book Encyclopedia . 2004.
- Tan, Amy. The Kitchen God's Wife . New York: Putnam, 1991.
- Author’s name last, first. Title Underlined . Place of publication: Publisher, Publication Date .
Anatomy of a book citation
- Tan, Amy . The Kitchen God's Wife . New York: Putnam , 1991 .
Anatomy of an chapter or encyclopedia article citation
- Author’s name last, first. “Article Title.” Book Title . Publication city: Publisher, Year. page numbers.
- Smith, Roff . “Frozen Far.” Geographic Stories. New York: Farrar, 2001 . 30-38.
Anatomy of a website citation
- Author’s name last, first. “Title of website article.” Title of Entire Website Underlined . Publication Date. Date Accessed. <URL>
- Follow this form with what you know. If no author skip to title…
- “ Chef." Exploring Career Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics . 21 Oct. 2004. 27 Jan. 2006 <http://www.bls.gov/k12/ reading01.htm>.
- S:TRACYcitation manipulatives