1. Standards Based Grading Our Journey of ImplementationEric LanghorstSouth Valley Junior High SchoolLiberty, Missouri http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuckincustoms/4848088053/
2. 8th Grade American History Teacher South Valley Junior High Liberty, Missouri
3. Adjunct Graduate FacultyBaker University & Park University
4. Currently writing dissertation Doctor of Education Walden UniversityTopic – Social Studies Teachers Using Twitter to Collaborate
5. www.ericlanghorst.com/sbg• Copy of presentation• Handouts• Links to resources• Contact information
6. Plan for today Philosophy of assessment Determining what is important Building assessments Checking for understanding Retakes Communicating the results Resources
7. our journey2 years ago• Thinking more about assessments• Begin more standards based type assessmentLast year• All standards based assessments• Full implementation for 8th grade American History
8. Purpose of Assessment• Determine if students have an understanding of the most important objectives in the course.• What is the next step if students don’t “get it” on the first try?
9. comfortable satisfied
10. my old system• Unit Tests (100 points each)• Activities• Projects• Article of the Week• Extra Credit
11. Purpose of Assessment• Determine if students have an understanding of the most important objectives in the course.• What is the next step if students don’t “get it” on the first try?
12. What does an “A” grade mean?What does a “F” grade mean?
13. What does a 100% grade mean?What does a 75% grade mean?
14. 1 select what you think is most important
15. If every standard wasadequately taught in our school system, instead of K-12 we would have K-22.Do you even want to think about what a 28year old high school senior would be like?
16. Prune your objectives. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cq-biker/6357900785/
17. learning goals
18. South Valley Junior High 8th Grade American HistoryUnit 3 – Creating A GovernmentLearning Goal 3.1Describe two weaknesses of theArticles of Confederation.
19. South Valley Junior High 8th Grade American HistoryUnit 3 – Creating A GovernmentLearning Goal 3.2Summarize the maindisagreements debated at theConstitutional Convention and thecompromises reached.
20. 2 build assessments for the objectives
21. “Is this graded?
22. Formativenot graded, helps prepare for the final performance“Is this graded?
23. Formative“Is this graded? Summativegraded, everything else leads up to this assessment
24. Formativenot graded, helps prepare for the final performance“Is this graded? Summativegraded, everything else leads up to this assessment
26. 3 check your students’ understanding
27. 1 - Below basic Making minimal progress toward meeting the standard 2 – Basic Simpler, but important content, process or skill, building academic vocabulary 3 - Proficienthttp://www.flickr.com/photos/pasukaru76/3629601725/ Complex learning goal, based on the Missouri Grade/Content Level Expectations 4 – Advanced Apply level 3 content in a new situation, task thinking above and beyond, increase the level of difficulty